PDA

View Full Version : clothing companys to stay clear of ?

bigj2552
20-03-2012, 09:46 AM
ok guys, as most of you know......
still adding products / info to my store.......got all the suppliers/contacts for the sub stuff sorted and logged.
Last things to do for the store is add all the meta/seo tags and prices - any promotions / cross ref my products ect ect

but i think there is a opencart module that just might make my meta/seo tags ect, that wee bit easier, if i remember right !

What i need to know now guys is......in your own best experience......

who to stay clear of regarding the clothing side of suppliers ?

Clothing range - hoodies - t-shirts - sweats - baby vests/bibs and gym wear ( joggers / muscle T's / sweats ect....all gym wear will be starting from size MED up to XXL....or bigger, if i can get em lol..
No whimps in the gym world ...oh no !

so who to avoid then ?....and who really, in the real world, is good ?

i have a list already......just want to weed out the nasty buggers .

cheers guys n girls

stressed out johnny :wink:

Paul
20-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I was dealing with few clothing suppliers and to be honest all of them were good! there is some lines of clothing to stay away but suppliers are fine.

bigj2552
20-03-2012, 06:34 PM
just signed up to Elms & Elms.....

got my acc set up but cant see any prices......aparantly they are gonna check to see if i,m a trade customer.....er how ?.....i havnt even started trading yet !!!...
is this the way its gonna be with the rest to sign up ?

edit update- Ralawise sign up no probs......

will see how the rest go :rolleyes:

accdave
20-03-2012, 06:55 PM
One of the golden rules I try to stick is make sure most of your lines are brands which can be obtained from more than one distributor.

It's good to offer something different to everybody else but if that company has supply problems you soon lose credibility with your customers.

accdave
20-03-2012, 06:56 PM
just signed up to Elms & Elms.....

got my acc set up but cant see any prices......aparantly they are gonna check to see if i,m a trade customer.....er how ?.....i havnt even started trading yet !!!...
is this the way its gonna be with the rest to sign up ?

It's a bit chicken and egg but I think it's good when they check you out. Too easy for anybody to get stuff direct from trade suppliers

bigj2552
20-03-2012, 07:07 PM
It's a bit chicken and egg but I think it's good when they check you out. Too easy for anybody to get stuff direct from trade suppliers

110% agree with that comment m8.......
but how is anyone ment to get "on the ladder" so to speak ?

is it a case of find other suppliers / buy from them / show you are actually selling a range of clothing online / then go back to the ones that humed n hawed and say look...i,m selling the stuff ?

John G
20-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Its all in your company name or website - if you say your blah blah printers, I think they'll hazard a guess that your offering printed items. If you say your company name is "bigj2552" they may want to delve a little deeper to find out who you are.

I hope all suppliers are like this - we have far too many cowboys to compete against without the suppliers offering trade discounts to mechanics, decoraters and any joe bloggs of the street etc.

mrs maggot
20-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Its all in your company name or website - if you say your blah blah printers, I think they'll hazard a guess that your offering printed items. If you say your company name is "bigj2552" they may want to delve a little deeper to find out who you are.

I hope all suppliers are like this - we have far too many cowboys to compete against without the suppliers offering trade discounts to mechanics, decoraters and any joe bloggs of the street etc.

110% agree with you John, thats why i have certain suppliers i deal with and some i steer clear of - and bigj2552 its not aimed as a criticism of you, just showing how the industry has become

bigj2552
20-03-2012, 11:25 PM

oh come on.....i,m hardly gonna say "i,m bigj2552" looking to buy stuff....i,m a lot more professional than that.:rolleyes:

They can delve all they want...i already have a another 5yr old business, ok, its a differant trade to this but....

as stated before....i aint spending this much time and cash just to be a fly by night....my time is a lot more important to me than to ass about playing kid-on businessman like some of the start ups i've seen else where....
but, each to there own i say.....
and yes....i agree with you and the other poster....
If it were that easy, every tom,dick and harry would be getting the stuff cheaper and putting more pressure on the legit businesses...
we shall wait and see.....if its no, then there are plenty others that will take my cash :wink:

logobear
20-03-2012, 11:36 PM
I have had great experiences from Pencarrie, they have a wonderful online catalogue that can plug into your website.
they carry great stock and are reliable for next day delivery.
Recommended !!!!

John G
20-03-2012, 11:37 PM
i already have a another 5yr old business, ok, its a differant trade to this but....

I wasn't having a dig - wish you all the luck with your business. Just saying that if a company ring up to buy something, or ask to open an account, and they aren't selling or printing onto garments - why should they get trade rates, or even be allowed to open an account. I know that at one time, xpres where very chosey who they supplied - I had to send all sorts and fax my orders in on letter headed paper for them to check. :biggrin: (fax)

I had someone called in the other day and ask for trade discount - I asked who he was and what company he was from - turned out he was a gardener :confused:

bigj2552
21-03-2012, 12:03 AM
I wasn't having a dig - wish you all the luck with your business. Just saying that if a company ring up to buy something, or ask to open an account, and they aren't selling or printing onto garments - why should they get trade rates, or even be allowed to open an account. I know that at one time, xpres where very chosey who they supplied - I had to send all sorts and fax my orders in on letter headed paper for them to check. :biggrin: (fax)

I had someone called in the other day and ask for trade discount - I asked who he was and what company he was from - turned out he was a gardener :confused:

i know you weren't john :wink: no worries m8.... lol @ gardener ...

i dont have any probs with companys doing that, and i know where they are coming from m8....

gonna start this and give it 18 - 24mth....if it hasnt turned a decent profit, or grown in that time frame, then i finish it...simples...and move on to the next venture...
18-24mth seems a good time frame to try and build up some sort of customer base.

johnny

Paul
21-03-2012, 06:52 PM
18mc is a learning curve :biggrin:
...or is it me learning so slow??? :rolleyes:

bigj2552
21-03-2012, 11:45 PM
18mc is a learning curve :biggrin:
...or is it me learning so slow??? :rolleyes:

you learning slow m8 lol.....only kidding bud

18-24mth with any new venture -

you should know your business inside out
you should be turning over a decent profit
your business should be growing if your marketing / research is right
you got to like what you are doing to help you succeed ( it helps - trust me )

but thats just what i have learned over the yrs m8.....each to there own !

mrs maggot
22-03-2012, 09:57 AM
BIGJ - have you not thought of retiring then to spend more time on your yacht ?? :) :) :)

bigj2552
22-03-2012, 02:20 PM
BIGJ - have you not thought of retiring then to spend more time on your yacht ?? :) :) :)

was that a hint of.....sarcasm ?....never
you getting me mixed up with smitch on here lol :tongue:

was just voicing my own opinion hun...nothing more or less :wink:

but you have to admit.....if you cant turn any business around in 18-24mth, then there is something seriously wrong with your way of thinking / operating the business ????
i,m no expert by any means but, have learned through "life lessons" the hard way i,m afraid over the yrs :rolleyes:

John G
22-03-2012, 03:37 PM
18 - 24 months and you haven't even started.

bigj2552
22-03-2012, 03:55 PM
18 - 24 months and you haven't even started.

no point in starting it half assed john.....could open the store tomorrow but got lot more work to do on the back end of the store and source more specific products that i "think" may sell....
Then i have the learning curve which will be intresting, :tongue: before i open for any sort of business.....
set date for opening for 6th may 2012.....

all i was saying m8 was...thats all i,m prepared to give it as a new business venture..if i cant make it suceed in that time frame, well....
if it can turnover a half decent profit within 18-24mths, i will be happy, as its not my main income :wink:

and....
i dont want to p*ss anyone off on here....i,m only saying what i think, through my own experiences over the yrs - if it offends anyone - my apologies...thats just me...spades a spade :frown:

John G
22-03-2012, 04:55 PM
no point in starting it half assed john.....could open the store tomorrow but got lot more work to do

You've got the wrong end of the stick - I meant that I'm amazed that you think you can start a business, and if it doesn't work after only 18 - 24 months, you'd jack it in and move on.
That's not even giving it a chance - by the way, you're already one month down as you've been on here around a month already :wink: your homework and website prep is part of the business starting up!

Cheers John

bigj2552
22-03-2012, 05:08 PM
You've got the wrong end of the stick - I meant that I'm amazed that you think you can start a business, and if it doesn't work after only 18 - 24 months, you'd jack it in and move on.
That's not even giving it a chance - by the way, you're already one month down as you've been on here around a month already :wink: your homework and website prep is part of the business starting up!

Cheers John

LOL....so dam true john.........only took me 1.5yr to build this i have just now, to where i want it to be so, realistically, that kinda time frame is actually not to bad .....FOR ME that is :wink:..but then again, this is a whole differant ball game business wise compared to what i got now.....a hell of a lot more factors to consider with this type of business....thats the challenge :tongue:...so maybe you and the rest of the guys are right - 24mth your just getting settled in !....i.ll play it by ear and see how it goes john....i step at a time...opening 6th may 2012..YEP..thats another mth less lol :biggrin:

John G
22-03-2012, 08:30 PM
opening 6th may 2012

Good luck with the launch of your company, you seem to have done the groundwork, so hopefully, it'll be a success for you!

bigj2552
22-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Good luck with the launch of your company, you seem to have done the groundwork, so hopefully, it'll be a success for you!

thanks john......gonna be a very busy 5/6 wks coming:biggrin:

AJLA
23-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Good luck with your new venture bigj, have I missed it or something but are you actually opening a shop or are you working from an industrial unit?

bigj2552
23-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Good luck with your new venture bigj, have I missed it or something but are you actually opening a shop or are you working from an industrial unit?

Thank you

Opening online store.....
and
i will be working from home with this new venture but...

i already have a ind unit to store my vehicles in for my other business so,
i will utilise my unit for storage if needed..... as with any business, it takes time to build up - but its there if needed

good thing about an ind unit is -
if things go the way i project they will - i can buy in bigger bulk from suppliers = more savings = more profit.

and store the lot in the unit...plenty space anyway.
but - time will tell :-)