PDA

View Full Version : Courier Service?

bms
11-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Does anyone use a courier service for sending out bulky goods?

Would it be of interest to forum members if we offered a collection/ delivery service via ParcelForce on a 24 hour service? We would arrange collection from you (normal UK addresses - sorry Justin not the Shetlands!) to other normal UK addresses for £10 +vat (£11.75). This would be for a single package weighing no more than 30kg (could be up to 72 mugs for instance). If there's any general interest in this then I'll upload further details.

Let me know what you think.

Justin
11-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Charming, I go to all this trouble and I'm excluded from the offers! LOL :shock:

S'ok, I work for a haulage company and get everything free to and from Aberdeen ;)

Karen.
12-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Sorry, I already get my couriers for £6.99 + VAT on a 48 hour (which is more often than not delivered next day) or £10 + VAT for guaranteed next day.

bms
12-02-2010, 08:04 AM
everything free to and from Aberdeen
Once they're at Abderdeen then that's okay!

couriers for £6.99 + VAT on a 48 hour (which is more often than not delivered next day) or £10 + VAT for guaranteed next day
Good prices - at least we'd be competitive on the 24hr service. One thing I forgot to mention is that for every extra package (up to 30kg) then the cost rises by £5 +vat so long as it is going to the same address.

Karen.
12-02-2010, 08:52 AM
They are good prices too Martin.

John G
12-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi Martin, Is it guaranteeed next day, does it include insurance, if so - up to how much does it cover.

Cheers John

bms
12-02-2010, 12:01 PM
As guaranteed as one can guarantee (assumes customer is there to sign, no blizzards and no major mechanical breakdown with lorrys etc). Insurance of up to £150 is included but ceramics/ glass products are not insured and insurance is limited to the cost price - proof necessary - of the products). I think the exceptions are standard with most courier services.

As with all couriers there are occasions when the goods don't arrive - we've used ParcelForce for several years now. Tried others and ParcelForce are pretty good the majority of the time.

Postcodes we CANNOT offer this service to are (costs are a lot higher to these areas):
IV, HS, KA27-28,KW, PA20-49, PA60-78, PH17-26, PH30-44, PH49-50, ZE, IM, TR21-25, BT

If anyone would like a collection then we would need:
Full collection address, contact telephone number and full delivery address. This can be phoned through to us or sent by email. The later in the day the collection is arranged then the less likely the collection would be that day. If anyone needs same day collection then it would be best to call our office so we can book it there and then for you.

John G
13-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi Martin, i've made an offer for something on ebay and might need it picked up and delivered to me. If the bid is successful i'll give you a ring on monday to use this service.

Cheers John

Stitch Up
13-02-2010, 10:05 AM
've found these to be very good

http://www.parcel2go.com/default.aspx

I've used them many times - rates good and all documentation is done online.

John

John G
17-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi all,
I've used this service supplied by Martin @ BMS. I emailed Martin on Tuesday morning with collection/delivery info and paid by paypal, my goods (12.6kg print drum for a risograph) arrived today and in perfect condition.

I'd recommend it - good service at a cracking price.

Thanks Martin.
Cheers John

chongsta
12-03-2010, 11:07 PM
've found these to be very good

http://www.parcel2go.com/default.aspx

I've used them many times - rates good and all documentation is done online.

John

I used to use these guys for all my ebay items but now im using them for virtually everything - except small parcels like mugs -doh!

Funny kinda company! even though they deny it, theyre owned by DHL (now) but they seem to push HDNL, which according to their drivers are now owned by DHL as well :geek: they're pushing £5.99+vat HDNL deliveries at the mo and ive sent a heavy parcel, in fact it was a box of mugs back to BMS (I made a boo boo on an order).

Again funny, if you choose DHL to send to Scotland, the Higlands or Northern Ireland, they wont do it and try to charge you around £16.00 for a 2kilo 24x36" package (I send canvas art), but...and heres the trick, when you come to the last but one stage of the order pages, you "add another delivery" to the itinery and hey presto they'll now take your parcel :)

Theyre good for UK deliveries but a total rip off for anything leaving these sun struck isles! :roll: I went to send a canvas print rolled up in a cardboard tube to australia and they wanted £35.00 for it, Fedex was the cheapest, I called my local postie and he got the price as..............£11.00 (or £14.00 signed for), bit of a difference there eh!

for me theyre handy coz they import all of your ebay sales address, it saves so much time. But dont do the DHL "special" unless you have 10 items or more! it may be £4.99+fat but the £10 surcharge soon adds on.

Chars
Dave.

frizbee
20-03-2010, 09:00 AM
The big advantage of using a smaller provider like BMS if it goes wrong you can speak to someone who will actually chase up the problem for you.

Now if anyone wants anything HEAVY collecting/delivered we can probably help, be it a heatpress on a pallet or 100 boxes of mugs.

David

mrs maggot
04-02-2011, 03:10 PM
can this be pinned to the top as its an ongoing offer, i tried finding this post, and ended up paying £16 to have a parcel delivered down to the ExCel today grrr grumble grumble lol

JSR
04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
can this be pinned to the top as its an ongoing offer, i tried finding this post, and ended up paying £16 to have a parcel delivered down to the ExCel today grrr grumble grumble lol

There are alternatives to the one offered here. I have p4d (www.p4d.co.uk) bookmarked and use them occasionally when I need a parcel sending anywhere. £6.99+VAT for 48hr DHL (most of which seem to be delivered next day).

mrs maggot
04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
cheers JSR i needed this one guaranteed the next day, so i could not risk it, but i will keep that one in mind, it certainly looks cheap enough

JSR
04-02-2011, 10:54 PM
cheers JSR i needed this one guaranteed the next day, so i could not risk it, but i will keep that one in mind, it certainly looks cheap enough

There's a 24hr DHL option, but it's more expensive. I used it this week and it was £10.19+VAT, which is within pennies of the OP's offer. The parcel I was sending was only about 3Kg but to send it next day by Royal Mail would have cost £22 (Royal Mail's Special Delivery is just stupid over 2Kg).

A couple of weeks ago, I had a shipment of mugs to send up to Glasgow. I'm down here in the South East and, although I only paid for 48hr delivery, they were delivered within 23 hours. Not bad going.

gorgall2
13-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Are BMS still offering this service? I've tried emailing them but not had a reply yet.
Cheers Gordon

bms
14-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Yes we are Gordon. Comms been a bit awkward over last couple of days as we were broken into over the weekend and they sliced the phonelines to disable the alarms, smashed the alarm system to pieces so it's been a tad frantic in the last couple of days sorting this out and continuing business as normal. So apologies if emails haven't been answered instantly!

AdamB
14-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Yes we are Gordon. Comms been a bit awkward over last couple of days as we were broken into over the weekend ...........

!!! SHOCK !!!

That's bad news Martin - hope everything gets sorted soon for you all.

bms
14-06-2011, 08:17 PM
!!! SHOCK !!!

That's bad news Martin - hope everything gets sorted soon for you all.

Apart from a very busy weekend and working out which pair of telephone wires (out of a severed core of 50 wires) makes the phone line work (x2) - that was fun (not!), then we're back up and functioning pretty well. It's just when the phone lines/ broadband etc don't work after a Sunday of rain getting into the wires then Monday starts late and we play catch up from that point onwards. I think at the end of today we had caught up mostly...phew.

David B
14-06-2011, 09:17 PM
We use interparcel economy on line which is always collected by UPS. No problems up to now and insured up to £50. £6.99 + VAT

swimwivsquid
15-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Sorry to hear that Martin. Hope you didn't lose much. Nasty business when you get burgled..... if they catch the culprits maybe you should sublimate something on their forehead.

bms
15-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear that Martin. Hope you didn't lose much. Nasty business when you get burgled..... if they catch the culprits maybe you should sublimate something on their forehead.

Don't hold out much hope that they're caught. Fortunately they had no idea what was really valuable, but if you find a large number of Canon printers coming up for sale without any ink cartridges with them then I might be able to provide a serial number checkup service!

John G
15-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Keep your eyes on ebay then - bound to turn up there. :rolleyes:

Ian M
15-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your break in Martin & I hope they catch them.

smitch6
15-06-2011, 10:03 PM
thats just horrid martin i really feel for you, it's not just the loss of goods it's the damage they cause and the feeling of having your space invaded by these low lifes

overriden
28-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Sup, for lighter packages I often use royalmail, but their fares shoot throguh the sky for anything into multiple kilograms sphere or beyond, glad that I didn't had to send such heavy packages too many times, but when I did, I use parcel abc (http://www.parcelabc.com), great delivery in UK especially.:smile: Hope I could help.

webtrekker
28-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Sup, for lighter packages I often use royalmail, but their fares shoot throguh the sky for anything into multiple kilograms sphere or beyond, glad that I didn't had to send such heavy packages too many times, but when I did, I use parcel abc (http://www.parcelabc.com), great delivery in UK especially.:smile: Hope I could help.

BS. I've just tried this service with a parcel I'm about to send and the best price was dearer than the price I had already obtained from Parcelforce. Hardly a good reason for resurrecting a 2011 thread!