PDA

View Full Version : Sublimation Dark Transfer Paper

bigj2552
22-03-2012, 07:20 PM
it says -
"Sublimation Dark Transfer Paper. Now you can print full colour onto dark garments with Subli-Dark.
This special sublimation paper is designed for printing onto dark cotton or poly/cotton garments" ( bms)

anyone use this method ?...and what was the end results on cotton ?

and whats the but's ?....there is always a "but"

Renniwano
23-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Would be interesting to know here too..

sarahjayne
23-03-2012, 07:22 PM
I'd guess it has a white coating so that the colours can be seen against the black background of the t-shirt - therefore you need to run it through a plotter to cut away the excess white parts or you'll be transfering a white rectangle with your design on onto a black t.
But I may stand corrected .... I often am ....

bms
23-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I'd guess it has a white coating so that the colours can be seen against the black background of the t-shirt - therefore you need to run it through a plotter to cut away the excess white parts or you'll be transfering a white rectangle with your design on onto a black t.
But I may stand corrected .... I often am ....

Yep, pretty much spot on (or some other means of cutting). It's the same principle as subli-flock but with subli-flock you print to paper first and then transfer. Fairly similar in weight on the garment.

india
10-08-2012, 10:54 AM
hi martin
so if i buy this to print on black t shirts, it would leave no white residue as long as i trimmed around it first, have i got that right, as have a customer wanting black t shirts.
thanks

WorthDoingRight
10-08-2012, 12:10 PM
@india Yes, simplest way is to imagine cutting a photographic image out that you had printed in the middle of a sheet of white paper to get rid of the white edges. So you will only be pressing the cut out image on to your shirts (face up).

crystaluk
10-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Anyone already used these sheets? I would live to know quality , durability

purpledragon
11-08-2012, 11:22 AM
i can never get my head around subli dark transfers over just normal inkjet transfer paper
subli transfer needs to be printed on sublimation paper first then pressed onto the subli transfer paper then pressed again onto the garment
where as ink jet transfers print on your injet then press onto garment seems a lot less hasstle to me . i dont do a lot of dark transfers except for vynal so maybe im missing something here but it does seem to be over complicating things to get the same results as inkjet transfers

bigj2552
11-08-2012, 12:25 PM
i can never get my head around subli dark transfers over just normal inkjet transfer paper
subli transfer needs to be printed on sublimation paper first then pressed onto the subli transfer paper then pressed again onto the garment
where as ink jet transfers print on your injet then press onto garment seems a lot less hasstle to me . i dont do a lot of dark transfers except for vynal so maybe im missing something here but it does seem to be over complicating things to get the same results as inkjet transfers

does the inkjet transfer not fade quicker after so many wash's brett ?
i would have thought the dark sub paper would give longer lasting results......should do, the paper aint cheap:rolleyes:

AdamB
11-08-2012, 12:44 PM

From a few wash tests I did I would say that it's all about durability buddy.

I tested the subli dark papers with some others a few months ago and it washed very well. The subli papers were very good but so were the Yolo Papers so I stuck with Yolo out of simplicity.

I had these compared to cheap papers found on ebay and other sources - which started to crumble and split after the first couple of washes.

AdamB
11-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Plus - I ALWAYS print any inkjet transfer with a seperate printer which has Pigment Ink (doesn't fade in the wash or in sunlight).

bigj2552
11-08-2012, 01:14 PM
would the little epson s22 be good enough for this kinda job guys ?...
with refillable pigment ink carts ?

unless i get an A3 picture in :rolleyes:

and....

would ordinary pigment inks do or durabrite ?

AdamB
11-08-2012, 01:40 PM

and....

If it prints on paper buddy then it will print on a transfer - the quality will depend on the printer capabilities but give it a go :)

Also, if you pop over to the Yolo thread they have just posted about some FREE SAMPLES available, if you ask you may be able to get some samples of the dark papers added to try as well - they are very nice people at Yolo :)

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?5271-Free-samples-of-Jet-Pro-Sofstretch

WorthDoingRight
11-08-2012, 01:41 PM

and....

Well I know Durabrite have UV inhibitors so should not fade too much in sunlight. The proof I imagine is in the trying with other inks.

AdamB
11-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Well I know Durabrite have UV inhibitors so should not fade too much in sunlight. The proof I imagine is in the trying with other inks.

Correct buddy - the proper Durabrite ink is excellent and works well, but some get confused thinking a 'compatible' cartridge is the same, it may be the same (type of) cartridge but it's NOT the same ink (durabrite) inside it :)

bigj2552
11-08-2012, 01:59 PM
take it this stuff stinks then ?:confused: - to be polite :tongue:
http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ink-products/sublimation/bulk-ink/heat-transfer-pigment-ink

WorthDoingRight
11-08-2012, 02:05 PM
http://www.cityinkexpress.co.uk/ink-products/sublimation/bulk-ink/heat-transfer-pigment-ink

Well it does not mention UV inhibitors but it does 'claim' long life - so who knows. You buy some, send me them and I will let you know the results in a year or two :rolleyes:

AdamB
11-08-2012, 02:08 PM

I use Cityink for 2 of my printers - not this kind though.

I use standard pigment ink for transfers (washed and tested and use it all the time) and standard dye ink for my day to day printer.

I've not used the ink you suggested, as I say I just run standard pigment ink - I'm not saying that the ink you mentioned is any better - just that what I use has been tested and works well :)

bigj2552
11-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Well it does not mention UV inhibitors but it does 'claim' long life - so who knows. You buy some, send me them and I will let you know the results in a year or two :rolleyes:

behave yer self ....i will be printing mugs for an extra income - not actually being one lol :wink:

as always - buy it - try it - and find out for myself - its not that much cash to lose for a little epson and some inks if it turns out ca ca:rolleyes:

WorthDoingRight
11-08-2012, 02:34 PM
behave yer self ....i will be printing mugs for an extra income - not actually being one lol :wink:

as always - buy it - try it - and find out for myself - its not that much cash to lose for a little epson and some inks if it turns out ca ca:rolleyes:

Well as long as you wont be trying to print them with this ink lol

purpledragon
12-08-2012, 01:54 AM
i have a t shirt with a transfer using dura brite inks paper from yolo the shirts 3 years old now so its now classed as a comfy shirt if you know what i mean but the transfewr is still great and hasnt faded at all. i also have a shirt with a subl transfer which has faded a little so personally i prefer inkjet transfer but use quality transfer paper the yolo stuff was excellent