PDA

View Full Version : another lines problem!

gavtheoldskater
30-03-2012, 07:13 PM
similarities to the thread below but i don't think its my printer.

i'm trying to do a dark blue design and each time getting darker/lighter vertical lines in the same place when i press it.

when i print the paper (truepix) the design is faultless. after pressing the lines are on the old paper and the mug itself.

i've double checked my temps. also tried adding more time which made it a bit better BUT my blacks then went brown.

i've tried a bit of silicon paper to eliminate paper creasing, no joy.

its a coralgraph combi press, coralgraph 11oz mug, Third Party inks, epson b1100.

anyone got any suggestions? i'm beginning to wonder if it may be too much tension and the elements are causing hot spots.

gavtheoldskater
30-03-2012, 07:52 PM
here's a pic...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/gavtheoldskater/mug_lines_2.jpg

bms
30-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Looks like the heat element is imposing itself on the mug. What temp & time are you using?
*** inks aren't for use in the B1100 so you may not have the profiling set correctly or it might be an issue with the element on the press. Blacks go brown with SubliJet-R inks in the Ricoh printers when you press for too high a temp for too long, but *** don't sell SubliJet-R inks so this would not be the case of the blacks going brown.

gavtheoldskater
30-03-2012, 08:30 PM
i started with the classic 180/180, then read in the similar thread below that the guy increased the time so went 180/195s which was better but blacks not so black.

i'd love to be wrong but i really don't think its the print out. i've looked at it under a really bright light and i can't see any lines at all or colour variations.

i'm almost tempted to try popping the design onto a metal sheet with my heat press which i'm guessing would eliminate the print if it came out ok.

bms
30-03-2012, 08:34 PM
When do you start counting the 180 or 195 seconds? From the time the mug goes in or from when the press gets backs to temp?

Would be worthwhile trying it onto metal or a ceramic tile if you have one.

gavtheoldskater
30-03-2012, 08:41 PM
i let the press get back up to temp (with a sacrificial mug in), quickly swap mugs over and hit start on the timer.

bms
30-03-2012, 09:22 PM
i let the press get back up to temp (with a sacrificial mug in), quickly swap mugs over and hit start on the timer.

I would go for 180 degrees for 3.5 minutes in these situations.

Paul
31-03-2012, 12:57 AM
there is no point waiting for temp goes back up again if you using dummy mug :)
as it will drop again when correct mug is inserted. i would follow Martins recommendation and try 3,5min in this situation. make sure you have medium/heavy pressure set.

John G
31-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Agree with Paul, it would take you ages to do a run of mugs.

gavtheoldskater
02-04-2012, 02:37 PM
out of interest i still have not solved this, frustratingly! now waiting for coralgraph to come back to me. when/if i do ever get it sorted i'll post the result in case it helps anyone else.

mrs maggot
02-04-2012, 11:07 PM
gav, you say you have used a bit of silicone paper ..... is it deffo silicone and not greasproof ?? also try a teflon sheet, they are sold cheaply in aldi/lidl or use those toaster pockets slit open and flattened out, it might be that

John G
03-04-2012, 10:31 AM
If its the white strip that runs up the mug through the red and blue its either a fault on the blanket or you haven't stuck the paper tight enough IMO

To test the blanket place a smaller image (not the full mug) but a small patch, make sure its tight on the new mug and put it in the press where image on the original mug was faded. If this one comes out perfect the blankets fine and all that's wrong is you have not stuck the original paper on tight enough, its twisting in the press.

Cheers John

gavtheoldskater
03-04-2012, 11:05 AM
def silicone, came from yolo. but i'll track down some teflon.

the white line is reflection from the window but thanks for the advice and i will test the mug like you sugest. in the blue its the dark/light colour variation lines you can see. i've done 5 mugs now and the lines are apparent in the same place on every one.

mrs maggot
03-04-2012, 11:52 AM
aaah the dark light variant, i was looking at the mottled effect on the mugs. are you sure press is not too tight ?? or too loose ?? and swap the mugs over at half time (turn upsidedown) i dont like to use silicone paper, i use the teflon, as you can cut it to size and it keeps to the shape of the press better than crisp silicone paper. save mugs, by only doing a half print and then reversing the mug for the second press

gavtheoldskater
03-04-2012, 08:27 PM
i've tried different tensions, hav'nt tried swapping them around but will give it a go. thanks.