PDA

View Full Version : Packaging

Justin
14-02-2010, 11:55 AM
What do you use for packaging mouse mats, coasters etc? I used to have some small die cut boxes for coasters that looked good and were cheap (need to find the supplier again!) Generally just use clear bags for everything but it would be nice to make the product look that bit better by sourcing decent boxes/bags without adding on a huge extra cost.

Does anyone make their own boxes?

Justin :D

Stitch Up
14-02-2010, 12:42 PM
The only box I've made was from a template on the Craft Robo site. Wouldn't be to difficult to change the size and artwork.

Some great stuff to be had here http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=200

John

Justin
14-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Cheers John, looks like a good site. Pretty sure I could use my Roland Camm-1 to do this but I've never tried.

Stitch Up
14-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Like most forums, you'll need to sign up and if you want to download files from the Craft obo templates section, you have to make a certain number of posts in the forum to qualify - it's well worth it.

The site is effectively controlled by Graphtec the makes of the Craft Robo.

John

JSR
17-02-2010, 11:09 PM
I used to make my own coaster boxes with my CraftRobo but it's too much hassle for items with such little profit in them.

For larger items, I use this company: http://www.ascdirect.co.uk/

Check out their "box builder" online app. You can create your own boxes (either single or double-walled), buy in quantities as low as 25, and get a free roll of packing tape into the bargain. I've found them essential for shipping boxes for 8" plates and El Grande mugs. I also have them do a generic one that'll handle most other items in one way or another.

Before I used them I used to hack about boxes that I received stock in but since most suppliers seem to go overboard with plastering their names and websites all over the boxes either printed, labelled, or with three tonnes of personalised packing tape, the "hacking about" method just results in a very tacky-looking piece of packaging. It's a shame because we should be recycling/reusing more these days but we can't with suppliers names plastered all over the place.

John G
17-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Just checked out the site mention above - bit expensive. I worked out a basic mug box and it came in at 66p each :shock: Your best off going to your local diecutters and buy from a range of stock boxes - much cheaper.

JSR
18-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Just checked out the site mention above - bit expensive. I worked out a basic mug box and it came in at 66p each :shock: Your best off going to your local diecutters and buy from a range of stock boxes - much cheaper.
For standard mug boxes, it's better just to buy from your usual suppliers. I couldn't find anyone that sold boxes suitable for El Grande mugs or 8" plates, nor could I find suitable stock boxes from other sources that would suit shipping these items. I'm not aware of a die cutter local to me.

The double-walled boxes made by ASC are not only the exact size I need (because I measured before ordering) but they also survive shipping. I put one of my 8" plates in the first box I got and, without any additional packing (like bubble wrap), we tossed it around, hurled it at concrete ground, slung it the length of the garden, and the plate survived with no damage. And I don't need to buy more than 25 at a time if the product isn't a big seller. I considered 66p to be a reasonable price for all these advantages.

Of course, it'd be better if some supplier of oddball-sized mugs and plates bought boxes in bulk and sold them to us customers, or if the manufacturer of the items supplied them in mailing boxes, but that's not going to happen.

John G
18-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Hi JSR,
I've checked the internet near you and came up with:

George Howard Packaging Ltd
Unit 5 & 6 Power Works Estate
Slade Green Road
Erith
Kent
DA8 2HU
Tel: 01322-338855

Don't know if they are still in business but give them a try - they might have off the shelf boxes way cheaper than your buying.

Cheers John

JSR
18-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks. I'll give them a shout when I get a moment.

Most times when I look for stock boxes, they tend to either be the wrong size and/or only single walled.

John G
18-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I know what you mean, its hard getting the right box from stock sizes. My mug boxes are slightly oversized but I pack them with offcuts of card/bubble wrap and never had a mug smash on me yet. - touch wood.

Cheers John

JSR
18-02-2010, 05:21 PM
I know what you mean, its hard getting the right box from stock sizes. My mug boxes are slightly oversized but I pack them with offcuts of card/bubble wrap and never had a mug smash on me yet. - touch wood.

Cheers John
We have great fun chucking mugs around the yard when -ahem- "testing" any new mug box. (Particularly if it was a reject mug with a particularly awful design on it. :lol: ) The plate box with an 8" plate in it made for quite a unique frisbee! The dogs loved it.

I was surprised to find the cheap 17p single-walled white boxes from Listawood survived quite a tumble with a china mug inside it. I felt sure it'd break. I still think it's too thin to trust to our wonderful postal service but it's reassuring to know there's some strength in them.

daviddeer
05-09-2010, 03:14 PM
I use the polystyrene mug boxes from keramikos (http://www.keramikos.co.uk/). they cost 25p each plus VAT. However their minimum delivery cost is a whopping £20 !! Please be aware that their mugs come in standard cardboard boxes and they will only give you a credit note for small breakage numbers not a replacement. You have register as a trade customer and they pro-forma for the first 5 transactions. The bespoke white cardboard boxes from ACS that the cubes will fit in cost 72p each plus delivery. So it will cost about £1.10 extra for the packaging based on the purchase of 100 cubes and boxes.

accdave
05-09-2010, 03:52 PM
However their minimum delivery cost is a whopping £20 !!

Out of curiosity does the driver of the limousine have the full chauffers uniform on ?

daviddeer
05-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Nar, old roll up, boiler suit, hobnail boots.
Boxes are printed in Thai and Engrish.
Mugs smell of noodles.
They have a very laid back way of providing customer support...'yeah I'll ring you back...wait three days...send me your email address...wait two days...send it again here's mine....phone...wait two days....phone again.....oh the guy you spoke to is very casual I'll get on to it.........20 minutes....pro-forma...10 minutes..order confirmation....2 minutes...email'.
So that's 7 days with the sales rep or 32 minutes with the accounts department. I know which one I'll choose next time (if there is one).