PDA

View Full Version : that lines problem, its dark blues!

gavtheoldskater
10-04-2012, 09:05 PM
the problem with the dark and light lines on the blue bit of a union jack logo from my previous thread never resolved itself and we found a solution for the client. ran 50 odd mugs with 4 different designs not a problem. so was beginning to think the issue was with their artwork, until...

last night i printed up 3 new designs for ourselves, 8cm x 20cm coverage, solid background colour. the first mug through, light blue, perfect. the last mug through, light green, perfect, the middle mug, dark blue, you guessed it, vertical lines and loads of fading.

does any one have any suggestions why i seem to have problems with dark blue prints?

bms
10-04-2012, 09:48 PM
the problem with the dark and light lines on the blue bit of a union jack logo from my previous thread never resolved itself and we found a solution for the client. ran 50 odd mugs with 4 different designs not a problem. so was beginning to think the issue was with their artwork, until...

last night i printed up 3 new designs for ourselves, 8cm x 20cm coverage, solid background colour. the first mug through, light blue, perfect. the last mug through, light green, perfect, the middle mug, dark blue, you guessed it, vertical lines and loads of fading.

does any one have any suggestions why i seem to have problems with dark blue prints?

I suspect this may be to do with solid dark colours rather than dark blue. Possibly the heat blanket cannont provide even temperature across the whole area and therefore you are getting hot spots (or hot lines) transferring into the mug. The elements of the heat blanket could be too close to the outer part of the heat blanket. Assuming you can't change the blanket, try using a sheet of silicon (which is around 1-2mm thick) to help even out the hot spot areas.

Paul
10-04-2012, 09:58 PM
i would go for new heat element.

JSR
11-04-2012, 12:43 AM

I would agree with others that it's a heat blanket issue.

However, if you want to convince yourself, what you can do is to oven press a mug with the offending design. Normally you'd use clamps, but it's possible to just tape the design to a mug (tape all the way around and keep the paper as tight as possible) and stick it in a regular oven. The whole mug heats up to the same temperature (so be careful when removing it). If there are no "lines/fading" after you've pressed it in a regular oven then you know there is no problem with the print/design/paper/ink/whatever and the issue *must* be with the heat press/blanket. You do need to press for longer in a regular oven because the heat isn't directly on the mug.

At least by doing this you'll narrow down precisely where the problem is.

gavtheoldskater
11-04-2012, 10:19 AM
i think i'll have another chat with the supplier, thanks guys.