PDA

View Full Version : new laptop :-)

bigj2552
22-04-2012, 03:57 PM
while up at pc world last wk buying printer.....

came back with a new laptop......super dam fast with anything i throw at it :tongue:

took me long enough to find right spec @ the right price but -

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-g6-1336sa-15-6-laptop-charcoal-12303695-pdt.html

Gonna use it for showing potential customers my stock / range of products & what i do....as in - approach local shops (some) and see if they would like to stock/advertise my products/services...while giving them a cut of the profits for doing so !....
This way i can "showcase" my products right in front of em as we speak.....
Also great for showing potential ordinary punters what i will be doing/selling as the conversation flows !
Kind of like "canvasing" 21st century style :biggrin:

what ya think ? .....good idea ?...or "it sucks" lol

note...will be using it for other things as well lol...not just that.......and it will NOT be used in the designing of sub products....i already have a big mother of a pc ready for that task :tongue:

JSR
22-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Seems like a pretty powerful beast to me. I can't believe I'm still working fine with a netbook when you guys cart around great powerhouses like that thing! :biggrin:

Just a thought, but it occurs to me that showing off products to potential customers might be better done using something like a tablet (Android tablet or iPad) rather than a laptop.

bigj2552
22-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Seems like a pretty powerful beast to me. I can't believe I'm still working fine with a netbook when you guys cart around great powerhouses like that thing! :biggrin:

Just a thought, but it occurs to me that showing off products to potential customers might be better done using something like a tablet (Android tablet or iPad) rather than a laptop.

can i ask why ?

want to bring up my own website when its live and show potential customers what they can get ?...or rather, what they are missing lol :biggrin:

yes the ipad is smaller & lighter, same as the A tab, but i was in the market for a new laptop anyway so.....

bought all the accessories to boot...padded sleeve - padded bag - wireless mouse blah blah blah...you know :biggrin:.........

im personally dont see the differance between using the laptop vs ipad ect.....except for lightness when carrying..but i,m a big boy anyway lol....another few pounds aint gonna hurt lol :tongue:

just thought it would be a good idea to try and generate more business if people can actually SEE what i,m talking about...
When you tell people - " i,m gonna be doing sublimation printing" - most look at you as if you got 2 heads..er..your doing what ?...then you explain and the answer you get back is - " ah, your doing the crappy t-shirt transfers thingy" ..FFS....thats where i just go - "WAIT AND SEE" .....and give up trying to fully explain .:rolleyes:

JSR
22-04-2012, 09:19 PM
can i ask why ?
Only for the reasons you've already mentioned.

Today is the age of the tablet. Laptops are so "yesterday". Yes, laptops are far more functional and productive than tablets but tablets are the ultimate "media consumption" device because they're just a screen - they don't have keyboards or extra weight dragging it down.

I'm a big fan of laptops, it's just that for "showing off things", a tablet would seem to be the better choice.

logobear
22-04-2012, 09:50 PM
The work we do in our industry is not power hungry, - even if you have a dozen 20meg images open any well maintained computer from the last 10 years can run the stuff we need, - it is more a question of how much 'bloat-ware' you want to run, and if you have upgraded to the very latest Corel/PS etc, - when releases from years ago are just as capable. I have a quad core new laptop, - but my fave pc is 10 years old, - and faster for most things.
Hope you enjoy your new work-horse, and it earns its keep many times over !

pisquee
26-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Our studio is mainly run off an old Dell laptop (Latitude D830) (about 6 year old model) but was a high spec machine back then, have to use Win XP for our large format scanner, and have old PhotoShop 5.5 (not CS) and we're happy like this. Laptop sits in a docking station, and so is easily taken off premises overnight for security (being the only thing of nickable value to an opportunist thief) no way will they be carting any large format printers, scanner, or presses out of here easily!

For site visits, meetings, events etc, we have a similar age model sub notebook (Latitude D430) which is good enough for showing off images, internet stuff, and general admin off site.