PDA

View Full Version : Cool spots on heat plate

gadgetsboy
17-02-2010, 01:23 PM
What causes cool spots on the heat plate? This is a problem that appears to be intermittent sometime when i press vinyl or flock i get a spot near the top left corner that doesnt stick to the garment as though it hasnt been pressed i then have to move the garment and repress and then as you can imagine i then get to clean the adhesive from the rest of the garment. I then turn off the heat press let it cool and switch it back on and 9/10 times its perfect again
Any ideas anyone? is this just the by-product of cheap chinese machines?

purpledragon
18-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Think you may have answered your own question

Andrew
18-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Probably just a dodgy press. I have a GeoKnight which I often get problems with so not just cheaper chinese models. My Adkins was great until it has now developed a heater fault which stops it holding temp. It has run nearly 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week for 4 years though and I am sure I'll get it back up and running as well.

gadgetsboy
22-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Contacted the vendor who informs me he has seen the problem before and it can be solved very easily and cheaply I am awaiting the email with the fix instructions. i'll keep you posted

purpledragon
23-02-2010, 12:22 AM
call me suspicious but couldnt he give you the fix the same time he told you he'd heard of the problem before?
cold spots are generally due to certain areas of the heating eliment not working as well as the rest of the platern, a reasonable fix i would think is a new platern in otherwords a new press.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Though it does depend how bad it is i have a cold spot on one of my presses but it doesnt really affect me to badly.
Brett

gadgetsboy
25-02-2010, 01:15 AM
call me suspicious but couldnt he give you the fix the same time he told you he'd heard of the problem before? Brett

You may be right he sent me a pdf with platern cleaning instructions. when i rang today he wasnt available

purpledragon
25-02-2010, 02:50 PM
well name and shame them then, its about time suppliers faced upto some of the problems we have i suspect martin (BMS) has taken quite a bit of buisness from fly by night suppliers simply because he's available and eager to assist with problems.
still waiting for the fiver he owes me for all positive comments make about him
Brett

bms
25-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Fiver was sent in the post ages ago Brett - sorry did it get lost ;)

I've not heard of curing cool/ cold spots by cleaning a platen before but I'll have to remember that one for the future :? . I agree with the previous posts that it's probably something to do with the heating circuit inside the platen. They're usually formed like a snake - up/ down/ curl around so a cool spot could occur on the corners or between the heating circuit if the wires have not been laid very well. Either the platen will heat up or it won't heat at all if the circuit is one complete heating wire inside the platen

purpledragon
26-02-2010, 12:29 AM
all i got was a white bit of paper you need to use artanium ink next time you print money martin

bms
26-02-2010, 08:50 AM
you need to use artanium ink next time you print money martin
Couldn't possibly do that - do you know the cost of Artainium ink :shock: ? :)

purpledragon
27-02-2010, 12:00 AM
fair comment :?

gadgetsboy
05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Well Andrew Dorking of "Doncaster sublimation" as expected cleaning the platen didnt cure my problem and neither did ignoring the phone. And the latest update is the phone is no longer being switched on. I have checked fleabay and as expected he is no longer a registered user which prob means there were to many complaints and he is now trading under another name SO if anyone is thinking of buying a heat press of fleabay from a man called Andrew in Doncaster BEWARE!! there is no after sales service

Paul
05-03-2010, 07:33 PM
hi! when did you buy this heat press mate?

gadgetsboy
07-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I think July this year. Dont get me wrong it been on everyday since i got it and the trouble only happens every couple of days but its Bl***y annoying when it does. I think I'm more annoyed at getting the bums rush from him. I keep finding myself looking for heat presses in and around doncaster on fleabay. I dont even have record of his address as at the time my paypal was empty and i paid using PO and dont even have the email he sent me with his address for the PO :evil: :evil: :evil: Lesson learned

__________________________________________________ ___
Fool me once shame on you Fool me twice shame on me !!

gadgetsboy
01-11-2010, 11:58 AM
I agree with the previous posts that it's probably something to do with the heating circuit inside the platen. They're usually formed like a snake - up/ down/ curl around so a cool spot could occur on the corners or between the heating circuit if the wires have not been laid very well. Either the platen will heat up or it won't heat at all if the circuit is one complete heating wire inside the platen

Just found this post and thought i would update it for anyone interested I dismantled the platen and sure enough it was in a snake like form but also had a build up on one of the bends of a a powdery white deposit. dont really know what had caused it but after delicatly cleaning with a soft brush and hoover i reassemled everything and i have never had the problem since. maybee it was something trapped during manufacture?? dont know i disassembled it about 6mnths later and no sign of a re-occurance

Mark