PDA

View Full Version : UMBRELLAS

AJLA
19-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Does anyone do umbrellas? if so by what method, subli or other and where are they sourced?

There seem to be endless suppliers out there but it would be nice to buy some where you know someone has tried and tested them, some seem quite expensive too.

John G
19-02-2010, 10:49 AM
I used to screen print them years ago but cannot do it in my present unit due to lack of space. At the last place I worked at we used to have to leave them up to dry so had to space them all over the warehouse. Got kind of ridiculous on a 250 run :lol:

I suppose if they are poly you could sub them.
Cheers John

AJLA
19-02-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks John, I have thought about getting the subli ones, all of them including the printed ones online are quite pricey. My intention was to sell them at the Royal Cornwall show and make just a little profit but not sure if people will pay the price.

bms
19-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Ours are poly for sublimation printing. There are a couple of ways of pressing them - open them fully and lay onto your flat press, paper down and press. Be careful that the paper doesn't move otherwise you'll have a shadow (and the transfer starts within less than a second so you need to be careful). Or remove the end of the metal struts and lay this in your press without the umbrella being fully open. Had some customers print them with the paper face up on the press (not mirror imaged) and into the back of the white panel to stop too much movement.

Haven't been to the Royal Cornwall show for years - have to get my old barbour out :)

AJLA
19-02-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks Martin, i'll have a look on the site now at the colors etc problem is I wonder what people retail them at.

Re your barbour... unfortunately i'm not thatshow trendy but I might treat myself to a pair of wellies as i'll be sleeping in the campsite and may need them!

bms
19-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I wonder what people retail them at

Retail varies - if your just putting Royal Cornwall Show 2010 on the umbrella then your retail will be lower than if you have some other form of personalisation which means people will pay extra for the uniqueness. Also depends on the weather of course - rainy days people will buy.

AJLA
19-02-2010, 02:27 PM
No we would be adding our own Cornish slogan which is quite apt if your'e in need of the brolly but I know there are other personalised ones there @ 9.99

purpledragon
21-02-2010, 10:03 AM
For sale lots of misprinted, shadow printed,faded printed brollys lol
seriously they can be an expensive nightmare until you get it right. for example always use a clean sheet of paper underneath each pressing as the print from the previous press tends to go through,
it took us ahile but we got there in the end.
Brett

Karen.
21-02-2010, 11:13 AM
We use to print a lot of umbrellas. The key is to get the position right on the press without any of the metal spokes underneath it. If you are using a good height table you should be able to rest it with the handle on the floor giving extra stability and less chance of it moving when you open the press. One way of doing it is to literally hold the edge of the umbrella and flick it as you open the press so that it flicks the paper straight off as the press opnes. Takes practice, but once mastered you will sell a lot of them. I think we use to sell ours at £14 each.