PDA

View Full Version : time and heat question?

Dave271069
14-05-2012, 10:46 PM
hi guys and gals, been doing my mugs now for oh about a week maybe less. have had some nice mugs printed and the orders are flying in from friends and family and work colleges. anyway what i would like to know is when i get my coralgraph mug press to 180c and i time it at 170 seconds . do i start the timing straight away as the temp drops then goes back up or do i put the mug in and wait for the temp to rise back to 180c before i start the timing.

just made 3 mugs tonight, first one was perfect, second one also, but the third one came out rather blotchy around the edges. is this cos of heat drop?

Justin
14-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Put a blank mug in the press whilst cold, switch the press on and wait for it to get to 180c (that's temp. I use) then put your mug in and press for 3 mins. Take it out and you can press another straight away. You will see the temp drop a fair bit once the cold mug goes in, this is normal and is allowed for within the 3 mins cooking period :-)

Dave271069
14-05-2012, 11:00 PM
thanks
wasnt sure to wait for the temp to creep back up before starting the timer.

Dave271069
15-05-2012, 10:50 AM
How much average are the mugs costing me to make. Paid about £30 for 36 mugs and using a Epson sx130 . Not trying to make a huge profit yet, just looking to sell the mugs to colleges for cost price.

mrs maggot
15-05-2012, 10:57 AM
plenty of discussions on here re prices working out costs per print, your time, your electricity, but if you are selling at cost price you are not going to re-coup your investment, and remember it will be hard to charge someone £5 for a mug next year when you charged them £2 for it this year, better to set your prices, and then give an opening discount on them ie 6 mugs for the cost of 4 or something similar that way you are keeping your prices right

Dave271069
15-05-2012, 11:07 AM
What I have been doing at the mo is more or less been giving them away, I aloud myself 36 freebies in my start up costs, which was to more or less get my name about. I'm also in the middle of building a web site so people can see the new prices.
Some people have offered me a few quid cos they were pleased with the mugs so ive been saying £2.50 until I start up properly