PDA

View Full Version : inconsistent results when sub printing tshirts.

ptholt
23-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Hi Folks,

have been vinyl printing garments for over 6 months and its been fine, never had any problems.
After recently getting my sub kit sorted and buying a job lot of Xpres sub T-shirts via a closing down shop on the bay, i decided to try my first sub t-shirt this evening.

Printed a colour photo through my ricoh to trupix a4. using Xpres recommended 200deg c for 30 seconds.

To start with i tried the same pressure as i use for vinyl printing on my adkins, with a sheet of tesco A4 copy paper paper on top of the trupix. First result was a little yellowed around the A4 area which looks like burn.

Second attempt we took the pressure right off till the know was almost falling off the top, tried some grease proof paper in place of the a4 and it was ok.

Tried a second shirt on the same settings but was unable to put the press right down, like it was so loose it had moved, was a little confused at this point, so tightened it back up, then wound it out again.

after a couple of other attempts to different places on the shirt i have managed to avoid yellowing, the press lines from around the transfer paper was present on all of them (which from what im reading will not wash out).

What's the best way of getting nailed on results, im feeling a little hit and miss atm.

Justin
23-05-2012, 11:46 PM
You can always use the greaseproof paper on top but this is more to protect the top platen form any ink really, I don't do that many but when I do I don't usually bother with this paper.

Yes, you do get annoying lines where the paper edge is. If you manually tear the paper all around the design so that the paper is in essence split, this will get rid of those lines for you :-) It's a very crude but effective solution....and you have to tear without going into the design!

I press at 197c for 60 secs, very light pressure. Be very careful when lifting the press that the paper doesn't move or you'll get a ghosting.

You may get press lines from the actual platen, these may reduce a little after washing.

smitch6
24-05-2012, 08:03 AM
i press my t's at 180 for 60-70 secs and they come out perfect each time thankfully
i think 200 is too hot

smitch6
24-05-2012, 08:04 AM
and i use greaseproof paper to cover the whole area between the item and the heat platten

ptholt
24-05-2012, 09:58 AM
I thought somewhere that grease proof paper sticks (on a thread talking about baking paper / grease proof etc) but seemed fine to me