PDA

View Full Version : sublimation mugs not coming out as i thought

plugy
03-06-2012, 06:35 PM
When i print my mugs the colours don't seam very vibrant blacks are not black look a bit dirty and pics look a little bitty/pixalted.
I have a Epson stylus photo p50 with sub ink.
press temp 180 for 180 seconds.

With this method should i be expecting a near photograph image or am i expecting too much with this system

Justin
03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Does the printed sheet look pixelated before you press it? You should get a superb, clear print from this. What inks are you using?

plugy
03-06-2012, 07:45 PM
The paper looks very blotchy when printed but im told this is how it shod be.
Inks not sure bought of internet as a full set up someone had enough ink already in seller dosnt know, it is sublimation ink though, going to try and post some pics.

bms
03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
The paper looks very blotchy when printed but im told this is how it shod be.
Inks not sure bought of internet as a full set up someone had enough ink already in seller dosnt know, it is sublimation ink though, going to try and post some pics.

Paper shouldn't be blotchy. Are you printing to correct side?

plugy
03-06-2012, 08:15 PM
I think so there is a bright side and off white printing on the bright white.

Justin
03-06-2012, 08:28 PM
When you say blotchy, do you mean the paper is saturated or sections of the print appear blotchy? I've seen the latter when incorrect profile has been used. I assume you've had a profile made? How will you keep consistency if you don't know what make the inks are?

plugy
03-06-2012, 08:34 PM
All new to this what is a profile and how do i go on about making or aquiring one thank you.

Justin
03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
OK, well that certainly won't be helping you. It's all good and well buying a set-up like this but you'll very quickly learn that sublimation can't be done on the cheap. You get out what you put in.

You need to have a profile made as the P50 isn't a supported printer (although it's superb for sublimation) Once you have a profile it will work with that printer and that ink-set. When you come to top your inks up you'll have a problem. You can't just mix different makes so unless you can find out what make you have you're wasting your time and money.

Sublimation ink appears to be expensive due to the quantity you need to purchase but per print you'll still make a very healthy profit on your sales. You could carry on using your P50 with different refil carts and officially supported inks, Artainium would be the best. Expect to pay £60 per colour though, £60 x 6...you can see that the initial investment is high.

Do you know what paper you're using???

plugy
03-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Kalon again what come with the set up just using to find my feet will be getting some trupix as suggested by one of the supplies on the forums.
How do i start or find a profile if this machine is not supported?

Justin
03-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Paul can help you with a profile, you'll find his details in the Suppliers section.

Just remember, it will only work with the inks you have at the moment.

Kalon? Sounds like Chinese paper to me, stick to Xpres if you want the cheapest or Trupix if you can pay a little more.

plugy
03-06-2012, 08:50 PM
am going for trupix, having a profile on the printer will it make a noticable differnce.

Justin
03-06-2012, 08:52 PM
It will get the colours working right, not sure about your blotchy problem though. My advice is ditch the inks you've got and get some that you know you can keep a constant supply of.

Renniwano
03-06-2012, 09:00 PM
OK.. probably a really stupid question lol.. and probably nothing to do with it at all.. but is the paper slightly damp prior to printing ??

pisquee
04-06-2012, 10:07 AM
The paper should not be damp prior to printing either in the printer or heat press. Wait until the ink has dried before pressing - this could be an issue with your ink or paper - hard to tell. I would get in contact with the person you bought the set up from and find out which inks were in the system, and where they got them from. If you can't get any more of this make/type of ink, then you are wasting time and money going ahead, as you will be starting again from scratch when your inks run out and you have to refill with another make of ink.