PDA

View Full Version : product photos

bigj2552
03-06-2012, 11:26 PM
looking for ways to take quality pics of my products for my site.
Yes i have pics from some of the suppliers sites of the stock i will be selling but -

when i add my own pics,they look bloody awful next to the clean, white(backgrounds)one of the suppliers .
Note - not all suppliers have decent quality pics you can use anyway !

I know i can photoshop my ones and take background out - but thats a laborious task for so many pics.

The other way is to take ALL the pics myself of ALL my products but -

the thing with that is,as i have seen with some other sites, they look so .....if this is the right terminology - dirty and unprofessional looking - kinda all over the place !

I have tryed with A4 pure white paper for below and behind item - still looks kinda grey - tryed with flash - to much of a white center....
any ideas ?

will get thinking hat on this wk :rolleyes:

JSR
03-06-2012, 11:37 PM
It's not what you want to hear, but I take photos of mine and then painstakingly remove the backgrounds.

It's an arduous task (particularly when you're doing it for the first time and you have so many to do), but I'd rather do that than use the same pictures that everyone else is using. You want to look unique, not like a clone of everyone else.

Best time to take the photos is during the day, preferably with natural sunlight, and don't use the camera flash. Put the camera on a tripod (or table) to keep it steady so that all pictures look similar to each other. I tend to use the camera's timer function so that there's no risk of a blurred picture by my unsteady hand!

Other people use lightboxes (white canvas boxes with artificial light sources) but I haven't found one that's both cheap and recommended.

One thing you might consider is to have a common background (like blue velvet or something) and use that behind everything and not cut it out. You'd be making a design statement if all of your photos had the same background.

bigj2552
03-06-2012, 11:42 PM
yep....i kinda thought that might be the road i needed to go down jonathan.:rolleyes:
Tripod is here anyway, so might as well use it as my hands aint the most steady either !
timer good idea also bud ....

ah well, another small hurdle to go over :wink:

JSR
03-06-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm sure there's better software around than the old outdated Fireworks 4 that I use..! :redface:

bigj2552
03-06-2012, 11:59 PM
I'm sure there's better software around than the old outdated Fireworks 4 that I use..! :redface:

aye - photoshop CS5 bud :biggrin:

Use that just now anyway jonathan - just gonna be a loooong time doing it - but i got a loooooong time to do it lol.

its not hard to do jonathan - just a pain in the bum

JSR
04-06-2012, 12:45 AM
aye - photoshop CS5 bud :biggrin:

Use that just now anyway jonathan - just gonna be a loooong time doing it - but i got a loooooong time to do it lol.

its not hard to do jonathan - just a pain in the bum
Who can afford CS5? :eek: I have a workable copy of Elements, but I haven't got the hang of it yet.

Paul
04-06-2012, 09:42 AM
What camera do you have? All looks grey as i am sure use yoir camera on auto mode?

WorthDoingRight
05-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I have one of these for photographing eBay items, not as yet tried it with my mugs but imagine it will work wonders as usual.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/studio-including-Lights-stands-tripod/dp/B000NHBN7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338925251&sr=8-1

bigj2552
05-06-2012, 09:09 PM
I have one of these for photographing eBay items, not as yet tried it with my mugs but imagine it will work wonders as usual.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/studio-including-Lights-stands-tripod/dp/B000NHBN7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338925251&sr=8-1

Now that looks like something i can use ! off to read reviews ! - thank bud for link :wink:

Paul
05-06-2012, 09:21 PM
tent is great idea but is essential to know how to set your camera. otherwise pics will be still grey and not to attractive :/

if you know how to set your camera then I recommend this tent. dont let them fool you about amount of the backgrounds etc... they are useless. they need to be replaced as they to reflective. I know as i got one of them :D

JackB
06-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Personaly I made my own light tent out of an xpress box , cut 3 panels one each side and one at top then a sheet of A2 white paper stuck inside. It does the trick.

Jack.

Paul
06-06-2012, 11:58 AM
yeah. or you can do one out of the plastic storage box that you can buy cheap in wilkinson. its made out of the milky white plastic. this do the trick too ;)

bigj2552
06-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Personaly I made my own light tent out of an xpress box , cut 3 panels one each side and one at top then a sheet of A2 white paper stuck inside. It does the trick.

Jack.

i got an xpres box here i havent thrown out yet jack -

you mean cut just one side out ands leave the other 3 & backing in ?

then what ya do with the A2 ?......thought you had to have all sides covered with white - incl the top ?

and what lighting do you use ? - just an ordinary spotlight for argos or something ?

cheers jack

johnny

bassqee
06-06-2012, 02:29 PM
For the best product lighting you you need to ensure you light underneath too to rid yourself of shadows as these can cause you plenty of grief she editing.

Paul
06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
You can get away with this one if lighted fro the top and back. If you want to use cardboard then cut rectrangles on tue back, sides and top. If have a3 paper stick it there to make white walls. Now light them with something and off you go :-) dont forget to set white balance or you will end up with orange pictures ;-)

WorthDoingRight
06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
dont forget to set white balance or you will end up with orange pictures ;-)

You sure you dont get pictures of lemons? :biggrin:

JackB
06-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Oops forgoit to mention that I covered the cutout holes with sheet of tissue paper (xpress type that you use on the t-shirt press) that dispurses the light. The light I use is an embroidery lamp( Daylight bulb) that the wife has got.
The A2 paper I stuck on the top back, curving down to the bottom front.
This is the same idea, http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

Jack.

bigj2552
10-06-2012, 12:40 AM
would the likes of the product shown in link be any good ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32-80CM-PHOTO-STUDIO-BOX-LIGHT-CUBE-TENT-4-BACKDROP-/330596858678?pt=UK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL&hash=item4cf91bbb36

just need to get some led lighting or would the camera flash be good enough ?

WorthDoingRight
10-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Also worth looking at:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/portable-soft-lighting-studio-38260 if you just want a tent or http://www.maplin.co.uk/ebay-photo-studio-kit-229132 if you want the lights and tripod

I find it quite difficult to photograph mugs with a direct flash, but others might have had more success.

Paul
10-06-2012, 11:04 AM
You cant photograph mugs with dirext flash. You will.have hot spot on each picture. Is better to not use flash at all and do it in day light. If picture wil b to.dark then you can brighten it up in ps. Its better then hot spot on each mg :-)

JSR
10-06-2012, 11:14 AM
You cant photograph mugs with dirext flash. You will.have hot spot on each picture. Is better to not use flash at all and do it in day light.
This is true. However, you can use a flash if you're a bit clever. These days, with high resolution cameras, you don't need to have the camera close to the mug.

Put the camera on a tripod some distance away from the mug, angle and turn the camera so that the mug is to one side or in one corner of the picture. Now let the flash fire. There's a good chance that you'll get a picture without the hot spot because, if the mug isn't in the middle of the picture and is not flat on, then the reflection from the flash doesn't go straight back into the camera lens.

Daylight is still preferable, of course, but there's precious little of that when you're taking photos during the winter months... :wink:

bassqee
10-06-2012, 01:19 PM
if lighting directly from the on-camera flash you need to do soemthing with the light to spread it out and diffuse more - try putting some rizla paper over the flash and see if it helps :) Will also help soften those harsh shadows too!

Paul
10-06-2012, 01:29 PM
small yogurt pots would do too :)
milk bottle is also helpful. I would recommend to look in to camera manual to find out bit more about manual modes. this way you can decide you slef how camera take photo!

bigj2552
10-06-2012, 02:11 PM
well, went n bought the cube tent thingy last night - up all night again ( 3rd night now :mad: ) so thought i would go shopping @ 4am :rolleyes: - coming down with flu i think - Anyhoo -
thought of getting 2 of those in the link below, for either side of the tent - max 30w bulbs !

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4327765/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|14417894/c_2/2|14417894|Lighting|14418021/c_3/3|cat_14418021|Table+lamps|14418028.htm (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4327765/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CLighting%7C14418021/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418021%7CTable+lamps%7C14418028.htm)

and thoughts guys ?

johnny

bassqee
10-06-2012, 03:07 PM
what camera are you using?

bigj2552
10-06-2012, 03:11 PM
what camera are you using?

nothing special bud -

aint gonna spend 100s on a new camera - if i can help it :rolleyes:

bassqee
10-06-2012, 03:22 PM
cool - i assuem it should give you decent enough pictures using those lamps with a tent. Just make sure both bulbs are the same or you'll get funny colours :)

bigj2552
10-06-2012, 03:26 PM
problem i see is -
the company that hosts my cart - they have a limit on what size/resolution you can fire up for them to host.
Think its a bit like justins on here - certain limit on size ect.

dont think i can upload 5mp pics to there server :rolleyes:

bassqee
10-06-2012, 06:12 PM
If you have an editing program - photoshop, elements, gimp etc you can easily change the size. PHotoshop even has an save for web feature that gives all the optimum settings.

bigj2552
10-06-2012, 09:00 PM
If you have an editing program - photoshop, elements, gimp etc you can easily change the size. PHotoshop even has an save for web feature that gives all the optimum settings.

yeh bud - i got photoshop Cs5- never even gave that a thought - had it for a while now and still dont know/use over half the features lol....off to look

bigj2552
10-06-2012, 09:13 PM
@bassqee -
just found it and tryed it - WOW ...can half the size and even bring UP the quality....hell, it looks BETTER than the original lol

Learn something new every day on here lol.....i should really go on a dam coures or something for this software.
There is probably more this software can do than i could ever imagine :rolleyes:

Another bit of the toy to play/help with - cheers bud :wink:

NiNJACQUES
14-06-2012, 12:54 PM
I dont think you don't need expensive equipment these days to take stunning photos. I use my Samsung S2 (8.0 mega pixel) to take pictures and then use a android app to enhance the pics. Sort of like the filters you get on Instagram. Got some good quality pics like that and they look almost professional. Here is a pic I took the other day while on holiday in Melbourne:

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/ninjacques/Untitled.jpg

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t328/ninjacques/C360_2012-05-04-15-31-06.jpg

I am yet to try it out on macro photography or real close ups but I'm sure I will be able to get some great results with little to no effort.

JSR
14-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I dont think you don't need expensive equipment these days to take stunning photos. I use my Samsung S2 (8.0 mega pixel) to take pictures.
At £400+, some people might describe the Samsung S2 as "expensive equipment"... :wink:

bigj2552
14-06-2012, 02:05 PM
and its not so much the megapixels - 5mp will give me good results - its getting the set up correct in order to take the pics that matter i would think, & how i present them on my store for the general public to view.
no shadows - no white spots on products - no glare - background ect.
Got my tent through this morning.
gonna try it later on today with just camera flash - if that doesnt yeld good results, then it time to buy the 2/3 lights for the sides and try again....as always - trail n error ( god i feel the world is trail n error lol ) - i will get there !:wink:

NiNJACQUES
14-06-2012, 02:07 PM
At £400+, some people might describe the Samsung S2 as "expensive equipment"... :wink:

LOL very good point. But on contract it works out easier on the pocket.

I wonder if lining a box with white sheets and cutting holes on the sides for a light source would look nice?

JSR
14-06-2012, 04:37 PM
LOL very good point. But on contract it works out easier on the pocket.
Not too much easier on my pocket... :wink: I'm looking for a new phone but the only one I can afford is no better than my one that's already 2 years old. Drat!

My current camera wasn't bought with product photos in mind, but it was just a little over £100 and does 16MP with optical zoom, HD video, and all the gubbings. So, in that sense I agree with you entirely - you don't need "expensive equipment" to get decent photos these days. It makes my camera's phone look like it came out of the Dark Ages.

(Just don't buy Vivitar! :eek:)

bigj2552
14-06-2012, 04:44 PM
right guys.......LMFAO at putting up this photo tent....LOL :biggrin:

Think i got to big a size here....:rolleyes:

Like way to BIG :tongue:

i could go bloody camping in this dam thing lol :biggrin:

unless BMS come out with A 200oz mug or XXXXXL mouse mat ...er....:rolleyes:

bassqee
14-06-2012, 04:46 PM
The more expensive cameras have manual control that can be invaluable for taking good product shots, means you cna set the exposure to what you want rather than what the camera thinks is best.
Though i am sure now theres an app for an iPhone that can do that too :)

bassqee
14-06-2012, 04:47 PM
lol - a big tent will actually help - spreads the light even more so you get a lovely soft light and less reflection :)

Paul
14-06-2012, 05:18 PM
The more expensive cameras have manual control that can be invaluable for taking good product shots, means you cna set the exposure to what you want rather than what the camera thinks is best.
Though i am sure now theres an app for an iPhone that can do that too :)
All cameras that i ever seen had manual mode.

bigj2552
14-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I dont belieeeeeve it (victor meldrew voice) - my soding camera is knackered :mad:
WHY OH WHY does every dam thing have to be money OUT with this dam business :mad:

p'd off aint the word - in fact the "words" cant be said on here :rolleyes:.....

stuck with my 5mp camera phone -will try that - failing that - its a new bloody camera - that i dont really want TBH....:mad:

sick sick sick !.....

Paul
14-06-2012, 08:57 PM
what weht wrong my friend?

bigj2552
14-06-2012, 09:26 PM
it kept flashing low battery on the lcd panel on back of camera - that was impossible - i just spent 2hrs charging them for it.
tryed other set of rechargables just in case they were on there way out...nope.....
ah - the mains cord....fired it on to mains - all lights flashing then nothing...dead as the dodo....fired batterys back in - DEAD....
it has offically died - funeral will be held later in the week....after the wake...the wake for me - having to fork out for another dam camera :rolleyes:.

see the funny side now ....just a bit.....just my bloody luck lol :wink:

it has been requested by the owner that flowers not to be present at the funeral :tongue:

there will already be a sledge hammer present to give it a good send OFF !

Paul
14-06-2012, 09:46 PM
I am sorry about that but in this occasion this might be start of the "good".
If you looking for new camera and want to use it as product photography camera I would seriously think about bridge camera ;) You can use it in full MANUAL mode and you will not believe how you was doing without it before :D
you can have a look in argos. cheap and cool :D
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597350/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419441%7CBridge+digital+cameras%7C266953 50.htm

bigj2552
14-06-2012, 09:53 PM
I am sorry about that but in this occasion this might be start of the "good".
If you looking for new camera and want to use it as product photography camera I would seriously think about bridge camera ;) You can use it in full MANUAL mode and you will not believe how you was doing without it before :D
you can have a look in argos. cheap and cool :D
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597350/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419441%7CBridge+digital+cameras%7C266953 50.htm

never heard of bridge cameras bud.....
was thinking about a cheap SLR if there is any on sale..off to check out your brodge camera bud....later :wink:

bigj2552
14-06-2012, 09:56 PM
just had a look - WOW...great prices bud...really good - almost half the price of the SLR'S - even the cheapest SLR !

thanks for the heads up - i wouldnt have even know what the hell a "bridge camera" was .....
are these type of cameras new ?.....cause i aint never heard of them before !

and do you have any recomendations as which one to get ?

what should i be looking out for in terms of spec with these cameras ?

bassqee
14-06-2012, 10:06 PM
Bridge camera are great for this sort of thing - the cheapness of a point and shoot with the functions of an entry level slr :)

THey have been around for years - called bridge becaue they span the two :)

harlequeen
14-06-2012, 10:47 PM
I have one of these, but I still prefer my SLR. Quality is good though

Paul
14-06-2012, 11:07 PM
the quality is in the glass. Bridge cameras are around for years. I will tell you something. is no point to spend £££ for DSLR as most of them come with KIT lenses (standard lens that comes with your camera body). they as good as taking picture through the dirty bottle :) so this mean you need to buy better glass. but most of those you can see in jessops etc i would not bother... :)
cost lot but aint much better. so Bridge camera... same as DSLR but SINGLE lens. you can not unscrew the lens and swap it for different focal length. lets compare the prices... for entry level, half decent camera we looking at £400. And this comes with crap lens. so Bridge camera cost half of this. you can do exactly same stuff (except changing lenses) as with dslr. full manual mode. aperture settings... shutter speed etc... choice is yours but i ma telling you now buddy that for taking photos of mugs in your tent or some family photos bridge camera is perfect ;)

there is only one think that you can not do with bridge. you can not attach external flash gun. not in cheaper ones any way... and this would be extremely handy for product photography.

PAul

WorthDoingRight
14-06-2012, 11:09 PM
I bought a Nikon L310 bridge camera a month or two back and the photo quality is visually stunning. For £129 it more than covers my needs for an all purpose camera - macro facility, great zoom etc. Yes I still have a digital SLR and a compact but tend to forget them when I decide to go out and throw this into my bag instead.

I must get around to taking some product shots myself for my website - but busy at the moment tinkering.

bigj2552
14-06-2012, 11:19 PM
I bought a Nikon L310 bridge camera a month or two back and the photo quality is visually stunning. For £129 it more than covers my needs for an all purpose camera - macro facility, great zoom etc. Yes I still have a digital SLR and a compact but tend to forget them when I decide to go out and throw this into my bag instead.

I must get around to taking some product shots myself for my website - but busy at the moment tinkering.

where you buying it for "£129 ??? - retails in argos for around £189

bigj2552
16-06-2012, 08:50 PM
AH WELL - tryed my 5mp camera phone - it just aint cutting it at all - zoom is crap....but it is only a PHONE !.

Argos have a sale on now looking at -

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5596674/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/2|14419436|Digital+cameras|14419441/c_3/3|cat_14419441|Bridge+digital+cameras|26695350.htm #pdpProductReviews (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5596674/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419441%7CBridge+digital+cameras%7C266953 50.htm#pdpProductReviews)
zoom on this thing is unbelievable - great reviews to !

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597350/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/2|14419436|Digital+cameras|14419441/c_3/3|cat_14419441|Bridge+digital+cameras|26695350.htm (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597350/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419441%7CBridge+digital+cameras%7C266953 50.htm)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5596007/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/2|14419436|Digital+cameras|14419441/c_3/3|cat_14419441|Bridge+digital+cameras|26695350.htm (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5596007/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419441%7CBridge+digital+cameras%7C266953 50.htm)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597381/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/2|14419436|Digital+cameras|14419441/c_3/3|cat_14419441|Bridge+digital+cameras|26695350.htm (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597381/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419441%7CBridge+digital+cameras%7C266953 50.htm)

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597374/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/2|14419436|Digital+cameras|14419441/c_3/3|cat_14419441|Bridge+digital+cameras|26695350.htm (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597374/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419441%7CBridge+digital+cameras%7C266953 50.htm)

most liked the very first one cause of the ultra zoom on it.

what ya think guys ? - i,m heading up to city tomorrow to get one ( if in stock )

also - trying to get one without the 4x AA batterys !

question - would the cheapy at £110 do the same thing the one at £194 would ? apart from the zoom

Paul
16-06-2012, 10:01 PM
it got to be olypus from this set :)
but seriously...
all of them will do... dont look at the bigest zoom.
i would skip Nikon from this set for sure.
so olypus or fujifilm for me.

bigj2552
16-06-2012, 10:07 PM
it got to be olypus from this set :)
but seriously...
all of them will do... dont look at the bigest zoom.
i would skip Nikon from this set for sure.
so olypus or fujifilm for me.

whats wrong with the nikon paul ? - cause its all auto mode ?

its half price just now @ £119 !

edit....
argos in ayr si sh*te - they only got about 3 of the ones i picked in stock for gods sake !

the 3 cheapest...surpise surprise...:rolleyes:....

off to look at comet !

bassqee
16-06-2012, 10:39 PM
All of them are good for the job - just depends on how many bells and whistles you need :)

Paul
16-06-2012, 10:40 PM
whats wrong with the nikon paul ? - cause its all auto mode ?

its half price just now @ £119 !

yeah! Nikon is missing the point of bridge camera in this case. if all will be about the auto mode then every mobile phone would do for product photos.
Remember. you want camera that allow you to use ALL settings in MANUAL. all of them can work on auto too. but MANUAL is what you want. Olympus look very nice.

bassqee
16-06-2012, 10:43 PM
did not realised the nikon had no manual mode - forget that one then :)

bigj2552
17-06-2012, 12:19 PM
looks like its gonna be the one below..
only 1 of 3 of the one i want they have IN STOCK ! - comet/currys to expensive for same cameras !!.

gonna try and get up today or monday morning...see how i feel

Fuji s2980 14mp
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597350/c_1/1|category_root|Photography|14419436/c_2/2|14419436|Digital+cameras|14419441/c_3/3|cat_14419441|Bridge+digital+cameras|26695350.htm (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5597350/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/2%7C14419436%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419441%7CBridge+digital+cameras%7C266953 50.htm)

has manual settings on it :-)....just need to learn how to use em lol

bigj2552
17-06-2012, 03:57 PM
got one eventually......
it should do the job nicely :wink:

off to print up a mug for fathers day - er....for my father, before i go up for dinner later :biggrin:

Paul
17-06-2012, 04:07 PM
nice one! now pop up your tent. stick the mug there. and play with settings. whats the widest aperture on this lens??

bigj2552
17-06-2012, 04:25 PM
nice one! now pop up your tent. stick the mug there. and play with settings. whats the widest aperture on this lens??
lol..havnt even looked at the full spec.....just getting the bits n bobs out the way first.....

will give it a good looking over and trial when i get back for my parents house later paul

have a look here -
http://www.ukcamerastore.co.uk/acatalog/Fuji_FinePix_S2980_Specifications.html

Paul
17-06-2012, 04:28 PM
f3.1
Not bad. but it need to be on the shortest end of the lens (no zooming!)
switch on manual. set f3.2 and shutter speed on 1/100. let see what happen. if to dark try go lower on shutter. down to 1/40 lower will give you not the sharpest pic on the world :)
if still to dark bump ISO up up to 200 and later 400. Have a play. love to see some results.

BTW. dont use the flash lol :D

bigj2552
17-06-2012, 04:32 PM
will do bud - later ....off to print mug for my father.....will let you see results after i have had an hour or so tinkering :tongue:

bigj2552
17-06-2012, 05:17 PM
just went to try and take some pics.....FFS !....just noticed that there is NO internal memory ???....:mad:

grrrrrrrrrrrr - need to go back online and order a flippin sd card....:mad:

could have sworn i seen internal memory when i looked last night...bugger !:rolleyes:

JSR
17-06-2012, 05:23 PM
just went to try and take some pics.....FFS !....just noticed that there is NO internal memory ???....:mad:

grrrrrrrrrrrr - need to go back online and order a flippin sd card....:mad:

could have sworn i seen internal memory when i looked last night...bugger !:rolleyes:
I could go slightly better than that. I got my camera around Christmas time. Thought there'd be no problem, because I'm surrounded by SD cards here. Sure to have one spare I can use.

Then, when I get the camera, I read closer - and it takes microSD! Who has spare microSD cards lying around? :rolleyes: Had to ransack an old phone 'til I could get a new card.

bigj2552
19-06-2012, 07:18 PM
i knew i shouldnt have went and bought it :mad:

the bloody thing has locked up and i keep getting this message all time - tryed taking out batterys & card - re-installing - nope....get the same message every time....
should have bought the bloody olympus that i was gonna go for :mad: - (but it wasnt in stock at time :rolleyes: )
https://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/78-5596674XFA76UC1027268T.jpg (http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=19551&langId=110&productId=571984)
Olympus SP-810UZ 14MP (http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=19551&langId=110&productId=571984)

NOW RESERVED at argos in Ayr...last one left :rolleyes:.
Just hope they will take this one back - i have the reciept here with me - lady said something about this is not eligible for the 30day money back guarantee - what the hell does that mean ?
absoulutly fizzin so i am :mad:

Paul
19-06-2012, 07:22 PM
this mean you can not return it only coz you stopped like it. but if is faulty then you can return it i belive...

bigj2552
19-06-2012, 07:24 PM
this mean you can not return it only coz you stopped like it. but if is faulty then you can return it i belive...
but will they let me upgrade it ? - or give me same ?

Paul
19-06-2012, 07:34 PM
hmmm I think they will let you...

bigj2552
19-06-2012, 08:21 PM
lol...just read spec for the news one in more detail.....

"This camera does not feature manual or semi-manual shooting modes, but it does include a program auto mode, where one can play around with the most basic of settings, such as ISO sensitivity, white balance, etc."

aye captin...the dilema begins......get the same one again or go for the olympus with no manual mode but a whopping 36x zoom - not just gonna use it for product pics lol

the noise from the motor when zooming in with video mode is truely shocking on the fuji...
aparantly this is a design fault with this one ( or more ? ) it to near the onboard mic....

Paul
19-06-2012, 08:24 PM
get the same one again. :)
you need manual mode. Programs are crap. and unusable for your needs :/

bigj2552
19-06-2012, 08:56 PM
get the same one again. :)
you need manual mode. Programs are crap. and unusable for your needs :/

reluctant to get the same again paul - incase the same bloody thing happens........can i ask ( newbie here lol ) whats the differance form auto mode to manual mode when taking pics for products ?

Paul
19-06-2012, 09:08 PM
if you use the box with mug inside and you set for auto then camera will use the flash to light al the scene and try to set the best lighting options it thinks it is. If you use flash and all that flash bounce off of the white (background n your tent) camera sensor will think that there is to much light and it will try to compensate. in effect it will give you VEry grey picture or other dark shades. ALso it will set automatically white balance that you dont want :)
So important is to "tell" your camera what to do. not rely on the settings. dont forget this is only machine :)
When manual mode is set you will get all the functions "unhidden". You will be able to change aperture and shutter speed. also white balance. so you will have all the possible option open and waiting for you :)
Now. when you will take crap picture you will be the person to blame. but if you take good picture you will be the guy to prise! not the camera ;)

Paul
19-06-2012, 09:12 PM
If you look on coralgraph site:
you will see product photos like this:
http://www.mediafire.com/conv/b4bb0024528e2e144a6b596682f3bb65b3c0f6c54bfe52ed1a 5beda55a1c230e6g.jpg

or this:

http://www.coralgraph.com/images/rectangularrocknw.jpg

With auto mode on you wont be able to take pictures like this. not even 20% closer to them :cool:

bigj2552
19-06-2012, 09:16 PM
would i get more shadow ? or would it look more grey in the background in AUTO MODE ?

I would be happy with any of the above lol

bassqee
19-06-2012, 09:17 PM
you would get both :)

Paul
19-06-2012, 09:18 PM
both :)
as sensor will try to compensate to much light. if flash ligt the white walls of your tent camera thinks this white is the light source. :) and bump aperture up to darken image. it will be so dark that unusable and you wont be unable to fix it in photoshop. or if you do you wont like it :)

bigj2552
19-06-2012, 09:24 PM
thank you for the explination .....ok, same model it is then paul.....i get the differance :wink:
they got 2 in stock so hope i get one

i could pay an extra £30 and get the 26x zoom or £50 for 30x zoom - but .....what for really ?....even going out with the one i got - 18x should be more than enough

bassqee
19-06-2012, 09:28 PM
with zooms the bigger the range the more distortion is likely in the picture.

Paul
19-06-2012, 09:30 PM
I would be happy with any of the above lol
those two was shoot with single light source.

i could pay an extra £30 and get the 26x zoom or £50 for 30x zoom - but .....what for really ?....even going out with the one i got - 18x should be more than enough
you dont need it :)
marketing crap. I mean... you can if you planing to zoom a lot to take "secret" shots of your neighbor :)

is worth to pay more to get flash gun conector on top of your camera :)
That would open LOADS of possibilities...

Paul
19-06-2012, 09:31 PM
and harder to get sharp photo....

bigj2552
19-06-2012, 09:31 PM

i,m just a sucker for gadgets lol.....if i can get more for my cash i will......but this time, looking at the 3 fuji cameras(18x26x30x) - they are the exact same except for the zoom...
sensible head on......just get the one i had - do the job perfectly according to paul :biggrin:

Paul
19-06-2012, 09:44 PM
if it has full maual mode (M letter on the dial) then it will be good enough ;D

bigj2552
19-06-2012, 11:39 PM
if it has full maual mode (M letter on the dial) then it will be good enough ;D

good enough ?:tongue:

bassqee
19-06-2012, 11:45 PM
yip - it has manual mode :)

bigj2552
19-06-2012, 11:49 PM
cool....just need to get this duffer up to argos tomorrow sometime and get another exchanged for it - already reserved it as there were only 2 left !....need to cancel my other one when i get up there !

RogerC
20-06-2012, 09:59 AM
well, went n bought the cube tent thingy last night - up all night again ( 3rd night now :mad: ) so thought i would go shopping @ 4am :rolleyes: - coming down with flu i think - Anyhoo -
thought of getting 2 of those in the link below, for either side of the tent - max 30w bulbs !

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4327765/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|14417894/c_2/2|14417894|Lighting|14418021/c_3/3|cat_14418021|Table+lamps|14418028.htm (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4327765/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CLighting%7C14418021/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418021%7CTable+lamps%7C14418028.htm)

and thoughts guys ?

johnny

Using this sort of lamp for side lighting 'might' be OK but you'll need 'daylight' bulbs otherwise you will get a colour cast (warming effect) from normal bulbs. Daylight bulbs emit light at 6400K which is the same as sunlight.

Paul
20-06-2012, 10:28 AM
5500k daylight white balance. You can set it in camera befor taking photo or in pp.

jennywren
20-06-2012, 11:17 AM
when I take photos I use cheap silky material, in the background, red, greens, blue and that cuts of the glare. I even use flags and that works will, if you take photos on a digital camera then you have nothing to lose. The colour in the background works for me. I use different colours depending on the item

RogerC
20-06-2012, 01:09 PM
5500k daylight white balance. You can set it in camera befor taking photo or in pp.

We're both right Paul...daylight temps are from 5500-6500K..... :cool:

Paul
20-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Sorry. Should say i use 5500 most of the time :-)

bigj2552
20-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Anyhoooo....back to the camera saga...and saga it is :rolleyes:.
Went up to argos today - standing at customer service behind lady who was moaning about handing something back AGAIN for the 2nd time...
I just happened to look and see what she was moaning about......a bloody FUJI camera :eek:..
I asked her what the problem was with it - same as the last time she said 6mths ago - the EXCACT same problem mine had...and she shows me...yep, thats whatrs wrong with mine to - and hers was £249 !....and this time argos aint gonna give her another new one, they sending it off for repair, leaving the lady without camera for here pals wedding next week....

well, that was my mind made up - i want a FULL REFUND - dont want the same brand.
There is obviously a design flaw with these fuji cameras, having done further reseach on the net, other have been having similar problems to.

so went looking around comet,currys,pc world - they all got bloody FUJI'S.....and the other 2 bridge ones were full auto.
camera shop up high street has fuji's and 1 panasonic lumix 14mp(£249) - the only manual bridge camera he has :rolleyes:

so - i got my full refund....now i need to go back onto argos site, and look through all there mid range bridge cameras that are online only....and search for full specs sheets for them before i buy....AGAIN.

I thought sod it - DSLR time - guy in camera shop said for what i want to photogragh, the DSLR cant get in close enough on the macro ?? :confused: - you better with bridge camera.....would do if i could bloody find one that AINT fuji or full auto mode :mad:.

RANT OVER........and off to do full reseach and get full specs on online cameras - oh the joys :rolleyes:

bassqee
20-06-2012, 04:58 PM
If you go DSLR you can still get close in macro - you just have to buy the right lens. But unless your really going to do more than just product for advertising online etc then a bridge is definitely the way to go.
check out www.warehouseexpress.com for a good range of cameras.

Paul
20-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Ok. Dont listen to that guy.go for cheaper dslr with wider angle kit lens. Some of them comes with longer zoom. You want short zoom :-)
the cheapest dslr will open new door for you. One of them is shooting raw!! Sweeeet.

bassqee
20-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Your not photographing majorly small things are you? more mugs etc? Stanard leses will not have any trouble shooting them.

bigj2552
20-06-2012, 06:58 PM
cheers fo replys guys....

@bass - various sizes from ID Badges size up to car sun screens large & clothing.
also want to use it for other things as well bud - but primary for the business
@ Paul - i hear ya bud.....i,m off for a look around - will post some findings BEFORE i commit to buying guys... comments on links when i get em would be great - this AINT my field of expertese i,m afraid !

RogerC
20-06-2012, 08:42 PM
a dslr with kit lens which will macro focus will do you fine. The 'pros' don't like kit lenses because there are much better optics from other manufacturers to meet their exacting professional requirements. I think in your case a kit lens will do fine. Try looking at the London Camera Exchange for second hand dslr stuff. Look for lcegroup............. http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/ on the interweb thingy. I got over £1500 (new price) worth of kit from them just before Christmas for a little over £500. On their site it tells you the condition and if it says it's good then believe me it is good. I can recommend calling the Lincoln branch where I got my kit from....excellent service ...oh and don't forget to ask if they can do you a 'deal'. I did and got £50+ knocked off.

bassqee
20-06-2012, 09:12 PM
You'l lbe fine with the kit lens.

I always suggest peopel go to a camera sho pand try the differnt makes and go for the one that fits you best in terms of feel and how the buttons are placed, differnet peopel prefer different makes for this. I know I could not shoot canon because they do not feel good in my hands, while a nikon feels great :)

Paul
20-06-2012, 09:23 PM
I would NEVER recommend KIT lens to no one. Its ok if you have it in your set but some shops (most) will try to sell you another kit lens with different focal length. let say your camera came with 18-55mm they will try to flog you extra one with 70-300mm for Only 150 extra. Bargain.!!!

marketing crap this is. most people think "owww i will need to zoom in sometimes! better take this one too" crap. never buy it! better off to save money and get decent one glass then two crap ones.

but...

in your case if you get kit lens like 18-55 for what you going to do is ok most of the time you will close aperture down. if closed down to F6 will give you nice, sharp photo...

bigj2552
20-06-2012, 10:57 PM
thanks for ALL replys -

finally, after 2hrs of trollin......FOUND ONE !

This does everything i need and a hell of a lot more besides :biggrin:

Nikon Coolpix P510 16MP

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/nikon-coolpix-p510-3999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWlB6nRnXQ

just need to try tomorrow and find it in red...failing that, its getting ordered tomorrow in black ! - online only - 3-5 day delivery....but i have other things to be doing anyway :wink:

doggys dangly bits this thing is lol :cool:

bassqee
20-06-2012, 11:12 PM
looks good - has manual mode so your sorted :)

bigj2552
20-06-2012, 11:19 PM
looks good - has manual mode so your sorted :)

yeh bud..manual is there.....along with a ton of other stuff.....gadget freak...hell yeah ! :tongue:

Paul
20-06-2012, 11:37 PM
looking good ;D

RogerC
21-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Looks good but I would still prefer a secondhand dslr......you never know when the interchangeable lens facility will come in handy.

Paul
21-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Yeah. Bigest adwentage is to have flas gun slot. You can buy cheap wireless triggerr and cheap flash and of u go. Pwrfect shot of product :-)

mrs maggot
21-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Yeah. Bigest adwentage is to have flas gun slot. You can buy cheap wireless triggerr and cheap flash and of u go. Pwrfect shot of product

unfortuantley the same cant be said for mobile phones and fat fingers hey paul :wink:

Paul
21-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Lol. Yes :-)
But i dont have fat fingers! am just useless!

bigj2552
21-06-2012, 01:41 PM
this is annoying.....my m8 sent me another 3 links to cameras......i cant make up my mind....:rolleyes:

cheap/expensive....to many bloody options on these dam things - one has this n that, the other does not have that and so on....

my m8 said i was dam bonkers spending £340 on a camera - what other choice do i have ? take my chance with another Fuji and hope it doesnt bugger up ??? :confused:

simple things turning into slight problem :rolleyes:

and hey - bugger all wrong with "fat fingers" ...you seen mine lol...shovels for hands mine are lol

Paul
21-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Get the best you can afford i say :-)

bigj2552
21-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Get the best you can afford i say :-)

thats not really an issue TBH paul.....have cash set aside for other things i can use bud.....just to many dam options and when i think yes...that the one - another spanner comes along and gives me another option.....getting a bit p'd off TBH :rolleyes:

Paul
21-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Go gor entry level dslr then. This will be better then any bridge.

bigj2552
21-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Go gor entry level dslr then. This will be better then any bridge.

LOL....think i will shortlist 4 from bridge and 2 from Dslr's and put em in a hat.....hand in and pick one and stick with it :rolleyes: ...wasting to much time assin about with this :rolleyes:

be back paul.....COFFEE TIME :tongue:

bassqee
21-06-2012, 02:17 PM
In the end a dslr will do you much longer than a bridge, build quality and expansion allows for much, much more.

Also at some point you might want to change to strobes over lamps for more control over your lighting so an slr will work best :)

RogerC
21-06-2012, 02:55 PM
It really is a mind boggling world of cameras....to be honest I would strongly recommend calling the guys at Lincoln on the link I posted for the London Camera Exchange. Tell them what you want to do and ask for recommendations. A good second hand dslr will do you better in the long run.

bigj2552
22-06-2012, 01:02 AM
off up to city tomorrow to see whats available...thats more to the point...wish myself luck cause there was hardly anything left when i checked most of them last night.......out of stock.....the words i will see in my friggin sleep....

Printer Recycling
22-06-2012, 10:04 AM
A lot of my customers tend to use Adobe Photoshop CS5

bigj2552
22-06-2012, 10:38 AM
A lot of my customers tend to use Adobe Photoshop CS5

yeh i got that to bud - but thats the point of buying new camera....so i dont have to be assin about with photoshop and wasting time altering pics for my store :wink:

Paul
22-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Ohh... I think you got it wrong bud! Yo will still need to twik them in ps :-)

bigj2552
22-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Ohh... I think you got it wrong bud! Yo will still need to twik them in ps :-)

aye but no where near as much time as with ordinary camera bud.......and i dunno, the pics i took with the last camera before it went tits up were pretty good IMHO....time will tell paul....you will see the "effort" of my pics on here lol

bigj2552
12-07-2012, 01:02 PM
never updated this ....

in the end i went for the next model up from what i had....only another £50 more...rather than spend another £200 more....eventually, common sense prevailed lol

will get some pics up later after i come back in - the quality of the camera pics i mean !

wadar
05-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I use to use a Fuji entry level bridge camera, set the super macro on, I used a chromakey background for most of the images, and used photokey software, the background and software cost me around 40 quid on ebay, the camera was 90 quid, the software pretty much removed all the background for me leaving any editing to just a few minutes, these images were used and sold to varios websites at the time, there is an issue with shiny metal as it reflects the green on some images and leaves them with a green tint, but for most stuff it was a great cheap set up that provided good quality images, especially for websites as the images are often smaller, I have over the years upgraded as I used to do portrait and wedding photography but you can still produce good web images from a set up of around £150, as someone mentioned outdoor pictures often provide very good lighting if you don't have anything else, but the super macro function often keeps your detail sharp and means you don't require the flash to operate, with a white background this can produce good images without the need to edit, with a green background you can get perfect images with software in a short time, you can choose any colour background or image as a background, the downside of taking good pictures means everyone will copy yours, it wont be long before you see them on other websites, grrrrrrrrrr.