PDA

View Full Version : Help

TonyM
26-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi all,

I need some help re spares etc.

I am trying to learn sublimation, and have bought a fair bit of equipment now.
I have had some fantastic advice from the members so far and have bought things on their advice and not been dissapointed in their recomendations.
I ordered stuff from a members shop here and within no time had tracking numbers and all I needed to be cofident of my orderEverything had arrived by noon the day after. Good service or what?

Well. I got my Epson 1400 with the sublimation system, my supplies to get me going and tonight got to setting it up.
I bought the printer and sub system off e-bay and beleive I got a good price.

Well anyway. I was setting it up and the first thing amiss was that on following the instruction it asks, "remove all the rubber bungs from the bottles, and in red it states DO NOTTHROW THESEAWAY AS THEY ARE NEEDED FOR REPLACING THE INK CHAMBERS"
Well out of the six I only had four... one was just open, probably the spillage in the box and one had sellotape on it.
Question,: Where can I buy spare bungs for when I want to fill up?

Secondly It tells me to replace with the air filters? Well I only got 5 of those , so i am one of those missing.

Thirdly it refers to the "Tube support arm" well i never had one of those at all?
So I just tried it without one?
Any ideas where I can get a tube support arm?

As I tried it without the tube support arm it went barmy and pulled out the yellow and light cyan tube from the cartridge.
This made loads of air bubbles in the yellow tube and I cleaned the heads a few times. The air bubble moved a bit but not enough. So i printed a picture of some yellow daffodils to try and get it up. They came out pink?

I did a yellow box. I got a couple of grey lines?

Then I tried cleaning again The light cyan came out of its cartrige again, but this time it wasnt just the tube that came loose it was the connector that sits in the cartridge, and it just falls out now?

So my question is, as I sit here with my multi coloured figers and frustrated look is:

Where can i get spare rubber bungs that I should keep, but never threw away, as I never had them.
Where can i get the Air filters, and the rubber bit that goes into the cartridge that the tube from the CISS connects to?
Oh yes and the support arm. I need that too?

Please help a multi coloured fingered idiot.

Thank you

Tony

Justin
26-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Hi Tony,

When you get a minute, please edit the title of your post to be more descriptive. It helps for future searches and you'll get more members taking a look and offering help.

Justin :)

bms
26-02-2010, 09:31 PM
You're in a bit of a pickle :o

Was the Easyflow system new or second hand? I presume second hand if you had tape over things rather than completely sealed. Any chance of the seller on ebay having these spares?

We could probably get all these spares for you from Sawgrass - they aren't things we normally keep as spares as they don't usually go missing.

The arm is very important unless you want to use your own arm for holding the tubes in the right place so they don't get tangled when printing. A old 6" ruler from a school pencil case, sellotape and double sided tape might get you going temporarily - do you have a colour booklet that shows where this all needs to go?

The tubes must fit snugly in place otherwise all you're going to do is get air in the system and nothing will print.

Air filter missing - lay a piece of kitchen tissue over the hole to stop dust getting in for now.

The light cyan - should have a right angled bit of plastic that the rubber tube connects to. This fits into a rubber sleeve in the top of the cartridge to make an air tight seal - have a close look inside the printer for these bits.

TonyM
26-02-2010, 10:05 PM
You're in a bit of a pickle
I dot kow about that, I am in debt , thats for sure?

Was the Easyflow system new or second hand? I presume second hand if you had tape over things rather than completely sealed. Any chance of the seller on ebay having these spares?
Second hand. I got it off e-bay. No complaints, I am happy with what I paid for and I canot expect perfection?

We could probably get all these spares for you from Sawgrass - they aren't things we normally keep as spares as they don't usually go missing.
I just need a couple of plugs, a filter an arm and the Right angled bit that fits into the cartridge. (The RA bit is there but is distorted and does not sit sweet in the cartridge and falls out)

The arm is very important unless you want to use your own arm for holding the tubes in the right place so they don't get tangled when printing. A old 6" ruler from a school pencil case, sellotape and double sided tape might get you going temporarily - do you have a colour booklet that shows where this all needs to go?
That is a good idea. I wii do that
No I dont have a booklet but I underatand that it needs to sit so as it doesnt rip the LC out of the cartridge now?

The tubes must fit snugly in place otherwise all you're going to do is get air in the system and nothing will print.
I understand that.

Air filter missing - lay a piece of kitchen tissue over the hole to stop dust getting in for now.
Really? So it is just to stop dust?

The light cyan - should have a right angled bit of plastic that the rubber tube connects to. This fits into a rubber sleeve in the top of the cartridge to make an air tight seal - have a close look inside the printer for these bits
It is there. It is twisted /split/knackered /falls out. I need a new one?

Many thanks

Tony

TonyM
26-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Ok
Just got it down in a good light.

What I see is the RA bit that goes into the cartridge is fine.
I have split the plasic bit.

It is like a collar?

That is split and that is why the little right angles falling out.

Ok it gets worse.

I have just lost the tiny little split plastic bit in the actual cartridge.

Is it totally wrecked now?

Can i get the little plastic bit? Can i replace it with he old one in the cartridge?

Help!

tony

bms
26-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Really? So it is just to stop dust?
Yes basically

Can't help much more until Monday when I'll see what spare parts we have that might be suitable. It's possible to get a brand new cartridge and tube assembly for the Photo 1400 which gives you the part of the Easyflow system from where the 6 connectors are near the bottles of inks (all filled with ink) - but this will cost.

In the meantime if the systems not completely knackered you could try a hot glue gun seal around the tube that's loose to seal it temporarily.

purpledragon
27-02-2010, 12:06 AM
buy cheap buy twice here endith the lesson

TonyM
27-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Hi Martin

Does your company supply spare parts such as the seal and bungs?
I am going to the Print exhibition at the NEC tomorrow. If Sawgass have a stand perhaps they may be able to advise?

Thanks for you help thus far.

Tony

bms
27-02-2010, 06:51 PM
We can certainly get the spares for you. I'll need to check what we have as we might have some spares in the office. If we have spare bungs and/or seals then I can pop these in the post to you, but can't promise until I check on Monday. Sawgrass are usually very good with us in supplying spare parts if needed (obviously in their interest to get you printing so you buy more ink!), but they usually like to send these to us with an order we have coming and there's nothing planned for a next week at least.

If you need a complete cart and tube assembly then we have these available from stock but in your situation you'd probably need to pay for that.

Have a hunt round at the NEC. I don't think Sawgrass have a stand, but there may be some other sublimation suppliers there.

TonyM
27-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Once again Martin,
Thank you so much for your guidance.
I would appreciate it if you could check for the spares.
I need a seal where the tube attaches to the cartridge, 2 bungs, the guide arm (I think that is correct) and an air filter.
Amazing at what can scupper one?
A teeny little rubber seal the size of a couple of grains of rice. I still have a blue hand.
I ordered some mugs, paper and plaques from your site on Wednesday and within no time I had the tracking numbers and they were delivered Friday Morning. Fantastic service and I will definitley be a customer in the future.

I was going to just let purple dragons comments pass as we are all entitled to our opinion, and in the main he is correct.
But I feel that I would like to respond. I am a member of other forums where such comments cause new members not to ask vital questions or admit to their mistakes for fear of being ridiculed. That kind of defeats the object of having such a forum?
Members like Martin, JSR and others give their time and fantastic advice to help others, and if along the way they gain a bit of Kudos and a new customer, then why not? Good luck I say.
It is a pity that Purple dragon, although correct posted his comment, without knowing the full facts.
It was neither constructive nor helpful.
I know it is the best policy to buy the best and that you get what you pay for. But we can only buy what we can afford.
I also know, that I do not really have very much idea about sublimation. I am trying to learn and thank God for forums like this that offer such constructive help. I also know that I made a mistake and ripped the seal because I bought cheap and there was no support arm. I wish I could have bought it all new with a guarentee. But I couldnt. In fact I had to sell my Guitar and my wifes watch to get the money to buy the cheap system. Now I am not going to go into personal details,but I do have a reason for trying to get into this, and it is not for me personally.
I am so very grateful to people like Martin and JSR who take the time to help nunbskulls like me, and hope they continue.

purple dragon, may i just add that although you are correct in saying buy cheap pay twice, I think adding "here endeth the lesson" was a bit patronising and could be construed as offensive to people of faith.
No offence intended, and i am sure you never meant it that way.

I accept what you meant in the context it was given.
All I ask is that you post constructively and consider others feelings and views.

Tony

bms
27-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks for your comments Tony - we do try our best with customer service and I'm pleased we met with your expectations.

Just a quick reply re purpledragon's comment - knowing brett (purpledragon) as a customer of ours and through his posts here I can assure you this was posted in good heart. The problem we all suffer from when we type emails or post comments is that something that 95% of the meaning in communication is non-verbal (body language, tone of voice, facial expressions etc) and when we type/read posts containing just text we loose that part of the communication. The smilies help a little, but please don't take it to heart.

Your point is well made Tony for all of us to bear in mind but we are a friendly group of dyesubbers on this forum and here to help everyone as best as we can. ;)

...and this next comment is made with tongue in cheek, with a smile on my face, in a sarcastic tone of voice "is the fiver repaid brett?" :D

TonyM
27-02-2010, 09:40 PM
Hi Martin
I do understand what you mean, and I did say that I accepted the comment in the context it was given.
I realise that the written word is not always coveyed as it would be spoken.
All I meant was that in the same vein as buy cheap buy twice, is that we consider others before we post.
Both rush in and live to regret perhaps?

Tony

purpledragon
01-03-2010, 12:46 AM
Woops
ok ill start this with a tale of woe. On starting in this buis i happily scoured for the cheapest i could find to get me going which it did. unfortunatly my cheap press blew up i dare say martin rembers the frantic phone call as i asked if he had presses in stock as the cheap one i bought from elseware blew up , i think mugs were my next victim i bought cheap and ended up wasting most to bad prints.All the profit i made ended up on new equiptment i spent cheap and bought twice
My comments were an expression of empathy to your situation as i too had received the same cruel lessons, if you read through the forums you will see i have been quite active with advice and the benifit of my experiances, im sorry if you mis read the comment as patronising they were not meant to be. As regards the subject of faith i take it you refer to the phrase "here endith the lesson" its a well know phrase an of no offence.
I am more than happy to offer you or anyone else help and advice but as your question had already been answered there was little point giving the same advice as i said i was just feeling your pain as it were.
Brett :D

bms
01-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I need a seal where the tube attaches to the cartridge, 2 bungs, the guide arm (I think that is correct) and an air filter.

I have found 2 seals and 2 right angled plastic bits (the important bits). I don't have spares of the bungs, guide arm or air filter to hand. The air filter is easily overcome (tape some kitchen tissue over the hole), the guide arm can be "customised" with an old plastic ruler and sellotape, the bung can be customised...(any suggestions anyone???).

I'll pop the more important bits in the post tonight to you.

Justin
01-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I've had spare air filters off eBay recently, there was a company selling CIS spares on there, not sure if they're still there.

TonyM
01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi all,

Firstly Brett,
I apologise I took your post the wrong way. I am sure you understand that I have been trying to get things moving and as you did, made mistakes. I do accept that you meant no offence and I guess if the truth be known I was just venting my frustration.
After trying to learn and source equiptment to fall at the final hurdle over a teeny little bit of plastic was gut wrenching.
My Son, who I am trying to help was even more upset, as he hasnt worked in such a long time and can see no hope of anything on the horizon. One can only go on so many fork lift courses to be told time and time again that they need experience.
Together we have been trying to get some gear together and knowledge so that he can hopefully learn something that may give him some hope. We are not worried so much about making money at first, more something to get up in the morning for.
So I hope you understnad why your comments did cut a little deep.
Again I am sorry I reacted negatively, that is not usually like me.

Secondly Martin.
What a star. Thank you very much for your help in sourcing the seal. It is very much appreciated.
Unfortunatley, I am away from home due to work from Wednesday morning until the Sunday Evening so will not be able to confirm receipt or let you know how I fare. But rest assured I will let you know as soon as I return. Many thanks.

Finally, A couple of questions.
What are the bungs used for? I read they are required for filling up?
The centre hole/resevoir, that I read has to be drained of ink, why is that?
I have one that has quite a bit in. What a waste to have to syphon that out and throw away. Or can I put it back in?
Last one.
When I installed the ICC profile on my computer it was so fast I am not sure anything happened? There was a flash.I read that there is no conformation and to right click and it should read uninstall. Well mine still says install? I click install again and there is the flash again but on right clicking again it still does not read uninstall. I am on windows 7 and I have been having a few printer problems sice I installed it. For instance my normal epson no longer shows me my cartridge levels, I reverted back to vista and they were there again. I re-installed windows 7 and again no ink levels. Could it be the same thing and the ICC is installed but windows 7 is not giving me the info?

Once again thanks to everyone for all their help.

Tony

purpledragon
01-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi no problem subject closed

regarding getting icc profile installed windows 7 as i have just found out myself doesnt like installing the profile for some reason so follows these instructions exactly to get the profile installed .
goto
start menu
computer
c drive
look for the folder marked windows and open it
lookfor the folder marked system32 and open it
look for the folder marked spool and open it
look for the folder marked drivers and open it
look for the folder marked colour and open it
copy the icc file from the disc or where ever you have it and paste it into the colour folder
the icc file is now installed when you open your software ie photoshop the icc profile will now show in the printers icc menu.

RE bungs
the bungs are for when you are refilling the inks you place a bung where the air filter is then you remove the larger bung to refill the ink the purpose of the bung is to prevent airlocks during the refilling process. Replace the air filter once you have replaced the alrger bung. If there is ink in the resevouir i normally use the syringe to suck it out the put it back into the corrasponding ink well eg black into black though if you are getting a lot of ink in these resevouirs you may want to check for air leaks ( see martins fix glue gun).
Theres no point solving this by changing colours as you cant forever avoid certain colours but im pretty sure with the help on this forum it will be sorted this is likly to be just one of many problems we all encounter from time to time thats why so many on here know so much about fix's so dont panic too much just persavere your son will get there in the end.
Brett

TonyM
02-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for that info Brett.
I followed your instructions and copied the folder into the colour folder. Just have to try it and see now?
Martin, I received your letter and was thrilled that you found the seal. My wife was amazed to see what had given me so much stress. :oops: I have installed it into the cartridge and there are no leaks.Thankk you.
New problem. There is loads of air in the system. How do I get it out?
I noticed in the tubes that there were lots of gaps in the ink, and I do mean lots. I tried a few head cleans and nozzle checks and they are nothing like they should be. In fact I can barely see lines. I have a few dots and eve then only on 3 out of the six.
The yellow seemed to have the most gaps in the pipe so I tried printing some yellow daffodils to see if it would force the air out. It didnt. The daffs came out pink and even at that made up of bars and lines. Really terrible. I took the cartridges out ad held the resevoire above them and sure enough the air bubbles dissapeared. But as soon as I lowered the resevoirs they returned? The cartridges are only half full. Should they not be full and constantly replenished from the resevoirs? It looks to me as if when I lift the resevoir and the bubbles dissapear the air has nowhere to go and just returns when I drop below the cartridges? Is there a bung or air release I need to open on the cartridge so that it can fill with ink? Should it look full?
The daff picture was ridiculously bad.
I have to go away now till Sunday afternoon and wont be anle to actually try anything after tonight but will read as I tale my laptop and dongle when I have to stay away.
Any thought ideas re getting the air.

Many thanks

Tony

PS Martin you are a Gentleman and your help is very appreciated.

bms
02-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Hi Tony,
Glad they worked :) . You may need to reprime the system now you've got an air tight seal. Search in this forum for "prime" or "priming" and you should find other posts that I've made advising how to reprime an EasyFlow system. Do this before trying to print anymore as you need to get rid of the air in the cartridges/ system.

TonyM
02-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Hi Martin
I have now got full cartridges ad no or very few bubbles i the lines.
I also have a red light saying there are no cartridges?
When they were full of air and half empty they were recognised,
Now they are full They show empty o the computer? I have pressed the reset chip button over and aver. I have removed them counless times but that red light is still on?
I even tried replace cartridges through the computer like I replace my normal ink but it wouldnt have that.
How can I make it recognise the cartridges are full and get rid of the light?
The re-set chip button doesnt seem to do aything.
I am away tomorrow till the weekend it would have been nice to know I could come back to it working.
Everyone on here has been great and I hope that perhaps other newbies are learning. Hey perhaps even a few Oldies?

Tony

purpledragon
03-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Printers are on a par with toothache they make you wanna scream

my old 285 used to refuse to believe i had cartradges in and gave me a red light try removing the cartradges unplug the printer make sure its unplugged not just switched off thats important. leave it for a few minutes and then plug it in and switch it on without the cartradges. The printer should now think its a fresh install go through the adding ink process and hopefully it will work.
Regards
Brett

bms
03-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Sound like the cartridges aren't firmly inserted. Make sure they click into place and push them in FIRMLY.

purpledragon
03-03-2010, 09:50 AM
mine were i still have the ink stains on the hammer to prove it lol :lol:

TonyM
07-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi all,

I have got back now and done as Brett suggested.
Success in as much the red light has gone out.
I printed off a nozzle check and 3 out of the 6 showed hardly any marks.
It also states that some of the cartridges are low? I thought the reset chip reset this for all?
I did a couple of cleans but it didnt really get much better. Maybe marginally?
I printed off some yellow daffs as yellow seems the worst. The picture was just awful. Just bars and pink bars at that.
You can make out they are daffs but they are absolutely nothing like the original.
Is there a way to do a deep clean? It really is terrible.
I have tried a few pictures to see if it will purge the ink or something. But it is just terrible.
I am leaving it to just settle down for now whilst I still have some ink left.

Thanks

Tony

bms
07-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Have you tried the re-priming approach? Don't bother printing anything unless you get a good - perfect nozzle check.

TonyM
07-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi martin

Did the priming approach.

Guess what?

Red light back on.

I wont have any ink left at this rate.
I have tried turning off as before but this time the red light is being very stubborn,

I will give it overnight and report back.

Getting a bit fed up and frustrated to be honest?
I have a non delivery from e-bay on a press to contend wuth also.

paid on the 24th and nothing?
Giving it a couple of days,

Thanks thus far.

Tony

bms
08-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Red light is on most probably because the cartridges need pushing and clicking into place - unclick them, push each down firmly until you hear a click. If red light stays on then press it, carts will move to centre, press and hold reset button for 5 seconds, press red light button and repeat reset button 6 times (the cart will move ever so slightly each time you press the red light button following the reset). Once carts move into the exchange position press reset button again. If red light still on the switch off printer and switch back on. Should work...

TonyM
08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
HI Martin,

I tried that now several times and still have the red light on.
I cant click down any harder, I am afraid I will damage the printer.
The cartridges are all joined together and it is just one click. Athough I have been pushing each one seperately as well.
I did as you said and sure enough got the small movements, But the light stayed on.
I switched it off and on but still red, repeated the process several times, many times but no luck.
Do You think my chip reset button might be faulty?
I am seriously considering cartridges as I am just getting annoyed with myself and feel I am probably annoying people here too with my pathetic attempts and no success.
At least no-one has to worry about competition.

Thanks
Tony

bms
08-03-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi Tony,
The red light ONLY comes on for 1 of 2 reasons. Either (1) the cartridges aren't firmly inserted and the small chips aren't making proper contact with the printer or (2) the chips are reading empty and need to be reset. The only other reason is that the printer is faulty (but I think we can rule that out).

Whilst I realise the cartidges are in one bank but can you look to make sure that each of the cartridges are clipped into place - you should be able to cast your eye carefully over the plastic clips to make sure each one of them is level with the other.

When you pressed the reset button and the carts moved did you also press and hold the reset button when they were in the cartridge exchange position?

Can you look in the Control Panel for your Printer and bring up the screen that shows the ink in each cartridge. Are these all greyed out? If so then this means that the cartridges are not seated properly in the carriage. If one or more is showing a red cross then this means that they are registering empty and need to be reset.

wonk
25-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I have the same problem regarding the ink light wont go out. Ive tried the above steps (several times) but with no joy.

Im running an Epson R1400 with bulk ink system.

If anybody has any ideas on solving this issue as i cant print anything at the minute

bms
25-06-2010, 03:09 PM
The cartridges need to be FIRMLY inserted. Please remove them and push them HARD into the cartridge holder so they click into place.

wonk
25-06-2010, 04:07 PM
The cartridges need to be FIRMLY inserted. Please remove them and push them HARD into the cartridge holder so they click into place.

Ive done this several times & have also got all crosses on the pc to show the cartridges are registered, just doesnt seem to do anything when i press the reset button on the cartridges

bms
25-06-2010, 05:37 PM
got all crosses on the pc to show the cartridges are registered
Crosses on the pc shows that the printer/ computer cannot read the chips. This is often because they are not inserted properly.

Try removing the cartridges, cleaning the chips with a cloth, make sure they all appear to be positioned correctly and re-insert.
If the light is still on then try the reset process - press red light button ~ cartridges move ~ press and hold reset button on carts for 5 seconds ~ press red light button (and repeat this everytime the cartridges move a fraction). You may have to do this 6/7 times as the cartridge holder moves a fraction everytime you press the red light button.

wonk
25-06-2010, 05:42 PM
ok thanks for the advice, ill give that another try.

wonk
17-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Just thought id reply, bought another ciss without ink.

transferred the ink over, now had colours printing good except black.

After sveral attempts to clean it with head cleans, etc, no joy.

Boiled some water to distile it let it cool a bit, removed print cartridges from head, got a small
syringe with small rubber hose onto black head input connection, give it a gentle squirt, got a small
amount ofpressure, then the water flowed through the head, problem resolved.

just thought id pass this on as i was expecting the printer to be knackered.

wonk

bms
17-07-2010, 12:00 PM
got a small syringe with small rubber hose
Would be great if you could post a picture of this for the benefit of others. Glad it's all working now.