PDA

View Full Version : To IPS or not to IPS?

JSR
11-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm looking at replacing my Philips 19" monitor. It's a bit long in the tooth now and, despite calibrating it fairly frequently, I'm not convinced it's showing either enough colours or accurate colours.

My budget is pretty minuscule. I'm considering the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LNDPPS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=80stv-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B005LNDPPS), but that's pretty much all my budget will do (I'm tempted by the smaller ones to save suffering from the pains of open-wallet surgery!). I've narrowed it down to this because (i) it's just within budget, (ii) it's IPS, (iii) it's 1920x1200.

The thing is, in 2012, do I absolutely *need* to go to an IPS panel?

Browsing forums, the general consensus is that IPS is better for viewing angles and colour than the cheaper TN panels. Other people suggest that low-priced IPS panels aren't as good as expensive IPS panels, while others still say that TN panels are, these days, pretty good. Similar sized TN panels go for £70 less than their equivalent IPS panels, which is quite a chunk of cash (alternatively same priced TN panels get you a few extra inches over the same priced IPS panel).

Bearing in mind that I could never stretch to an expensive £500-£800 IPS panel, Would a £200 TN panel be as good as a £200 IPS panel?

The only IPS panel I've used before has been on my iPad and I don't know if that qualifies as a "cheap" one or an "expensive" one. I've no idea how accurate the colours are because you can't calibrate that. It seems to be pretty close to the colours from my ancient Sharp 15" calibrated monitor, but less so to my 19" Philips.

So, my question to anyone who has an IPS monitor and, preferably, to anyone that has both modern IPS and TN panels, should I only look at IPS monitors, or is a modern TN good enough?

One qualifier - my computers of choice are netbooks, so the monitor will be used with a VGA cable as there's no digital monitor output on the netbooks.

bigj2552
12-06-2012, 02:30 PM
i would have thought to get the HD pic your after you would have to move away from the VGA cable ? :confused:.
whats the point in spending lot of cash of decent monitor if your gonna be using inferior cabling for it ?

JSR
12-06-2012, 03:30 PM
i would have thought to get the HD pic your after you would have to move away from the VGA cable ? :confused:.
whats the point in spending lot of cash of decent monitor if your gonna be using inferior cabling for it ?
Trouble is that replacing the computers is not an option. I'm not particularly after a "HD pic".

My current 19" monitor has a resolution of 1280x1024. I don't want to go any lower than that and widescreen being all the rage means the minimum resolution I can go for is 1920x1080 (so the vertical resolution is no lower than what I currently have). Looking at physical dimensions, a 23" screen would be the same height as my current 19" screen - it just has a bit added on the width. So that 24" one would be marginally larger in height, which is why I'm leaning in the direction of the Dell.

My main aim is to get better colour accuracy for printing purposes, without ending up with a smaller screen. Everything seems to be widescreen these days.