PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Fees

JMugs
14-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Have I got this right....
If I open a basic shop on Ebay they charge £14.99 per month, then they charge 20p for every item in, then 10% final value fee?

So if you sell an item at £7, they take 20p and 70p plus the paypal fees?

Janners.

JMugs
14-06-2012, 10:30 PM
I asked ebay on live chat and the answer was unclear, ie just like their explanation on the site.

phoenixalpha
14-06-2012, 10:50 PM
It's 20p for the listing and approx 10%, but the 20p only counts for the listing, so if you are selling 1 item it's 20p, if you are selling 30 items it's only 20p.

pisquee
14-06-2012, 11:14 PM
guess it depends on how many listings you are going to have and what functionality you need from Ebay, as without a shop you pay 40p for each buy if now advert (again no matter how many units/variations are in it) but don't pay the monthly fee. You still pay the 10% on each sale, until you get your sales to the point of being powerseller/top rated and you get a small discount.

mugstar
15-06-2012, 12:00 AM
And they have just cut the powerseller/top rated discount from 20% to 10%!!! Still wouldn't have the sales without them!

Charlie_
15-06-2012, 06:29 AM
If you have a shop, the bin listing is 10p per item, and like mugstar says the powerseller/top rated seller discount has been cut and soon will be gone I feel. But both of the statuses do increase my sales.

Mattie
15-06-2012, 08:54 AM
You'll also need to take in to account the Paypal fee's i think it's 3.4% plus 20P per transaction.

i thought about ebay shop but didnt see the point when there is plenty of so called printers selling mugs, phones covers at silly prices

purpledragon
15-06-2012, 09:15 AM
All this is pretty academic really what you need to look at is what sales you want (or can cope with) theres a lot of complaining about ebay with good reason most the time but they are improving certain aspects slowly while getting rid of certain benifits also ie the deminishing discounts. But you do need to look at the bigger picture £14 for a shop then an insertion fee then a final valuation fee then a pay pal fee sounds bloody expensive and quite often it is if you arnt selling the volume needed. but take all the facts into account
£14 per month for an ebay shop then insertion fees and final valuation fees .... my physical shop costs me £500 pm and thats just the rent once i take all into account my physical shop costs in excess of £1500 per month
as for paypal fees have you seen how much a credit/debit card operator charges to enable you to take payments on line certainly not cheap ive just looked into it all and decided its cheaper to stick with paypal
then take into account you SEO fees they can cost upwards of £100 pm min ebay do all this for you if i put mirror carp mug in google my ebay shop usually comes up and not my web site so again quite a bargin there when you drill it down.
Lets be honest we all love to slate ebay the public who use ebay can be right royal pains ive just sold a mug today and have recieved a message saying will it be here for sat (biting lip hard) last bank holiday i had a purchase on the sat and on the tuesday they asked where the item was thats bank holiday tuesday ??? and ebay do tend to favour these idiots but ebay are more accessable nowadays and when you tal;k to them they can sometimes be quite reasonable. im afraid ebay could well be the nesassary evil we have to put up with.

Charlie_
15-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Well to be honest there are a great amount that sell my main product on ebay, for really silly money. I stick to quality customer service and my reputation and sell many a week for more than double the price of most of the compition. Yes paypal is 20p plus 3. something % per transaction...

Charlie_
15-06-2012, 09:22 AM
You are so right a necessary evil, I have 3 web sites and like you a lot of my ebay shop shows up so a lot of items before my website. I have tried amazon but for all they say it was not good for my products, but that doesnt mean all products mind. Never having sold mugs or shirts on either I cant comment on them . I am talking ebay in general.

All this is pretty academic really what you need to look at is what sales you want (or can cope with) theres a lot of complaining about ebay with good reason most the time but they are improving certain aspects slowly while getting rid of certain benifits also ie the deminishing discounts. But you do need to look at the bigger picture £14 for a shop then an insertion fee then a final valuation fee then a pay pal fee sounds bloody expensive and quite often it is if you arnt selling the volume needed. but take all the facts into account
£14 per month for an ebay shop then insertion fees and final valuation fees .... my physical shop costs me £500 pm and thats just the rent once i take all into account my physical shop costs in excess of £1500 per month
as for paypal fees have you seen how much a credit/debit card operator charges to enable you to take payments on line certainly not cheap ive just looked into it all and decided its cheaper to stick with paypal
then take into account you SEO fees they can cost upwards of £100 pm min ebay do all this for you if i put mirror carp mug in google my ebay shop usually comes up and not my web site so again quite a bargin there when you drill it down.
Lets be honest we all love to slate ebay the public who use ebay can be right royal pains ive just sold a mug today and have recieved a message saying will it be here for sat (biting lip hard) last bank holiday i had a purchase on the sat and on the tuesday they asked where the item was thats bank holiday tuesday ??? and ebay do tend to favour these idiots but ebay are more accessable nowadays and when you tal;k to them they can sometimes be quite reasonable. im afraid ebay could well be the nesassary evil we have to put up with.

gstk
15-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Well described as a necessary evil. You have to look at Ebay in a different way. I cant stand their operating methods BUT I couldnt afford not to have them.

We pay £25 for the middle shop. We list at 5p an item and have over 400 items on there every month. So for £45 a month (not including sales fees because technically if you have a sales fee you have sold something so you must have an element of profit unless your sums are wrong) £45 a month gives us access to the world with our products. Ebay gets your items into the search engines and more importantly we get a lot of leads from the ebay shop that we never have to pay any fees on. £45 wont even buy you a business card slot in a local paper seen by probably about 5000 people. Because the products we all sell are not just off the shelf items a lot of the time people call to ask questions, you have the chance to convert it to a non ebay sale.

I would have packed up 6 months after starting if it wasnt for Ebay and we have been going 5 years. I would say you cant afford to not be on it.

purpledragon
16-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Well described as a necessary evil. You have to look at Ebay in a different way. I cant stand their operating methods BUT I couldnt afford not to have them.

We pay £25 for the middle shop. We list at 5p an item and have over 400 items on there every month. So for £45 a month (not including sales fees because technically if you have a sales fee you have sold something so you must have an element of profit unless your sums are wrong) £45 a month gives us access to the world with our products. Ebay gets your items into the search engines and more importantly we get a lot of leads from the ebay shop that we never have to pay any fees on. £45 wont even buy you a business card slot in a local paper seen by probably about 5000 people. Because the products we all sell are not just off the shelf items a lot of the time people call to ask questions, you have the chance to convert it to a non ebay sale.

I would have packed up 6 months after starting if it wasnt for Ebay and we have been going 5 years. I would say you cant afford to not be on it.

wot he said !!!

it true if you can earn as much through your own website then great but as gstk says you cant buy advertising space in the local rag for what ebay charge monthly and you are quite right i have a firm customer base building up on my web site mainly because the public might send me an email which goes like this "seen your item on ebay can you put this picture on it" my reply normally is "yes thats no problem heres a link to the item on my web site " but some people prefer the safty of ebay so its horses for courses really

Timothy
15-12-2012, 04:17 PM
It is 20p for the listing and around 10%, but the 20p only counts for the listing, so if you are selling 1 item it is 20p, if you are selling many items 20,40 or more items you 'll get only 20p. So it is expensive for minimum and cheap for optimum items.

viccar
15-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Its £14.99 for basic shop listing is 20p buy it now, so you need to be listing at least 50 seperate items to be worth it, (normaly 40p with no shop)
The next shop is high amount and less listing fees think you need to list around 250 to make it work then then next one is in the thousands.
fvf is 10% on most things, but 5% on some, and 12% on clothing

Paypal is 20p + 2.5%
or
If your item is selling for less than £9 inc p&p the micro payments are best at 5p + 5%

gorgall2
16-12-2012, 11:32 PM
I have the middle shop and it is only 5p for a 30 day listing.

Charlie_
17-12-2012, 07:24 AM
I have cheapest shop and its 10p listing on bin. Mind I am a top rated powerseller so get 10% discount off fees (was 20% but was reduced)

mrs maggot
17-12-2012, 11:18 AM
also dont be afraid to ask them to review the numbers, i started my ebay shop to sell a lot of low cost items, but with the 100 items or £3,500 i phoned and explained that 100 items would be less than £300 in total, they have now re-reviewed it and did 2 things, gave me 2 weeks credit back on the shop and have given me 300 item limit for the new month, i have not had the shop for long enough for them to lift the limits, but was extremly happy that they lifted the limit from 100 items to 300 items, as the shop was costing me money, however the exposure to my own store has been worth it and i have seen sales increase on there

Charlie_
17-12-2012, 11:30 AM
also dont be afraid to ask them to review the numbers, i started my ebay shop to sell a lot of low cost items, but with the 100 items or £3,500 i phoned and explained that 100 items would be less than £300 in total, they have now re-reviewed it and did 2 things, gave me 2 weeks credit back on the shop and have given me 300 item limit for the new month, i have not had the shop for long enough for them to lift the limits, but was extremly happy that they lifted the limit from 100 items to 300 items, as the shop was costing me money, however the exposure to my own store has been worth it and i have seen sales increase on there

Well I have a limit or 2500 items and 25k a month, I used to have no limits until someone accused me of selling off of ebay ............ but yes they said I can double my limit monthly if want to. But that hasn't arose yet.

mrs maggot
17-12-2012, 12:29 PM
yep, they have said once my 90 days is up i will get an auto limit of much the same charlie, so here is hoping,

Charlie_
17-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Yup been selling on there on and off since 2nd jan 2001 or so my feedback profile says lol...........

viccar
17-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Its basic maths
50 listings at 40p no shop = £20
50 listings at 10p + £15 shop = £20

so anything below 50 seperate listings is not worth getting a shop, anything above is