PDA

View Full Version : Heat press and polo shirt

JMugs
19-06-2012, 02:08 PM
How does everybody else press a polo shirt. Do the buttons affect the print?
I fed the shirt over the bottom plate, but it was a faff.

Clothing not my thing, but was doing some to advertise whilst I play squash.

Janners

Ian M
19-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Clothing not my thing, but was doing some to advertise whilst I play squash.

Play squash naked....sorted:tongue:

I always hang the buttons off the edge of the press as I only tend to print a small logo on the front the times I've printed polo shirts.

gorgall2
19-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Raise the area to be printed with a mousemat.

smitch6
19-06-2012, 03:09 PM
I learnt the hard way doing Polo's
ALWAYS do NOT press the buttons they melt lol
the 1st 4 polo's i did all the buttons popped off the shirts because i pressed it wrong
now i feed it over the platten as you said but it's the only way to get them away from the heatplate

JMugs
19-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Thank you all.
So as done for the back, mousemat for the front, or sublimate myself and play naked.

Janners

AJLA
19-06-2012, 05:19 PM
ALWAYS do NOT press the buttons they melt lol ...Ha Ha I did that too on my first attempt. Ditto all said above Janners, makes life a lot easier not to keep feeding the shirt over and under the platen.

I use some greasepfoof paper too to avoid any spread of ink residue on the white shirts. Pain in the neck, learnt this the hard way too on a run of several white shirts there was a faint shadow of the previuos image on the back of a few.:mad:

smitch6
19-06-2012, 05:29 PM
I always have a sheet of greaseproof inbetween and shirts i do just in case of bleed thru :)
learnt that the hard way as well lol

JMugs
19-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Where on earth do I get an A4 size Mousemat or should that be Moosemat? Just thinking if I put the Moosemat in between, then there is no bleed through, and there would be no pressure on the buttons.

Good point about bleed through, I had not considered that.

Janners

bms
19-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Where on earth do I get an A4 size Mousemat or should that be Moosemat? Just thinking if I put the Moosemat in between, then there is no bleed through, and there would be no pressure on the buttons.

Good point about bleed through, I had not considered that.

Janners

Can't you feed the polo shirt onto the base platen so that the base is inside the polo if you get what I mean?

JMugs
19-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Hi Martin
Yes I can and that is what I did, I was thinking laterally. If pressing a number of Polo shirts it would be quite simple to prep one whilst pressing one. Lift out, next in, go again, less chance of burning myself!
All academic really as clothing isn't my aim!

Janners

JackB
19-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Thank you all.
or sublimate myself and play naked.

Janners
I think the charred skin and blisters would put people off your products.:rolleyes:

Jack.

AJLA
20-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Obviously why I didn't sell as much at my more recent show :biggrin:

logobear
21-06-2012, 08:56 AM
if you split the garment over the baseplate, it is harder to be sure you have got the print level and even,
either spot press the full garment, then do a second press split, (for vinyl/laser)
or mark with chalk flat before splitting, OR - keep and use the card shirt stiffeners you get with some products, slip inside to cover the buttons.
never had a button melt on me thou'