PDA

View Full Version : Swing Press Question

Kahboose
24-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi all,
Im currently looking at purchasing a heat press to do some home transfer printing. Eventually I hopeing to look at purchasing a basic entry level Vinyl cutter/plotter and wanted to know if this actual press would work for both transfer and eventually Vinyl too ?

Many thanks in advance
Lee

Justin
24-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Swing press is the best option for vinyl as you can get a good birds eye view of the shirt for correct placement etc. These presses take up more room which is a consideration :-)

A decent clam shell would do the job perfectly well but not quite as easy for logo placement etc. Depends somewhat on your budget I guess.

Kahboose
24-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks Justin i ment to add the link to the one i was looking at purchasing over the next day or so.
this was the Swing Press (http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/693/30cm-x-38cm-swing-away-press.htm) i was considering.

Thanks
Lee

Justin
24-06-2012, 07:24 PM
No probs. Like I say, just remember that you need a fair bit of space to swing them wide open. This press won't be any good if you want to press A3, bit of a limitation for what you're looking to do.

If you do decide to go for a press from BMS, join the forum as a Premium Member (£10) and you'll immediately get this press at the lower price shown, saving £14+vat.

Kahboose
24-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Im only going to press max A4 possibly a little vinyl name tagging on Kickboxing trousers which may be a little longer but i was thinking (not sure 100%) that the name could be printed in two goes first name then surname ? so wouldnt be a massive hassle (I hope).
Any bigger press i doubt i could fit into the room i plan to use :(

As for joining its definitly oing to happen Justin , We dont use Paypal was going to have a read up and see if there was any other alternative payment method to subscribe.

Justin
24-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I've pressed vinyl designs 6 times the size of my press in the past so it needn't be a massive issue. If you were looking at sublimating larger items, table mats, sun blinds etc. I'd say go with A3. Nothing to stop you upgrading later on and second hand market is fantastic for presses etc :-)

I might be able to enable a different payment method for membership and will take a look.

Kahboose
24-06-2012, 07:42 PM
That would be excellent Justin , Feel free to inbox me and let me know if you can.
Much appreciated.

Lee

Justin
24-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I can set up different payment options, No Chex, World Pay etc. but it complicates the subscription system.

You can make a payment through PayPal without an account but your subscription won't automatically renew each year.

I will be looking into this a bit further in the near future.

Kahboose
24-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Thats fine , Paypal ill use, just didnt really want to set up an account with them.

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi again all,
Todays the day im going to purchase my first press , Im currently sorting out my forum donation but im still undecided on the swing or clam press ..
Ive got a £200 budget for the press (or there about) and its mainly for hobby level and doing small jobs for friends and family.

Id like to use BSM but its so confusing for the beginner and im worried ill make the wrong choice.

thanks in advance for any responses
Lee

RogerC
27-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Lee...you'll not go wrong using BMS....nice people and a good reputation on here.

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Ive done a lot of reading online Roger and all leads and advice everywhere always point back to BMS
Like i say im only after a press that will do A4 size to start , and hopefully when i purchase a robo cut a little small vinyl work.

Currently looking at the 38 x 38 clam (http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/692/38cm-x-38cm-flat-bed-press.htm)
or 30 x 38 Swing (http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/693/30cm-x-38cm-swing-away-press.htm) dunno which :)

Scotty@BMS
27-06-2012, 03:04 PM
The Clam Press is a lot of press for not a lot of moolah. Having had a thorough look at it, I'd happily recommend it. It's the larger platen that makes it such good value for money.

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Is there much difference in use with the clam and the swing apart from the obvious as in one swings and one doesnt :) , also will the clam press work well with Vinyl Scott ?

Thanks for the help much appreciated

Imme
27-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Apart from the space needed to maneuver the swing press away, another difference to think about is that a swing press will open up higher than a clam shell
so that if you wish to press thicker items like some acrylic blocks then a swing press can be more useful.
As for pressing vinyl, a clam press works fine

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks Imme im guessing its just a matter of decising which i prefer to start myself off then.
Many thanks for the help

Scotty@BMS
27-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Also, as I've alluded to in my previous post, the platen on the Clam Press is larger which will make it better suited for pressing garment films and media.

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 04:49 PM
I'd just like to end this post with a huge thankyou to Scott @ BMS and Justin @ Dysubforums for all the help in advising me on buying my first Heat Press.
Also to all members who have given me a few hints and tips.

I currently have my first press now on order through BMS and can honestly say they are very helpful and friendly guys on forums and on the phone, I will certainly be using them again (Scott that cutter is definitly on the cards to be ordered soon)

Cheers guys. :)

Scotty@BMS
27-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Do it, you'll not regret it! Additionally, the boys have been that swift this afternoon that the press shall be despatched today and be up with you for tomorrow!

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Thats excellent news , So pleased i joined here and dealt with BMS. Thanks Scott

Kahboose
28-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Well my Press arrived today , really really pleased with it so far looks wise , Wont get chance to heat it up till Saturday now :(
Looks well made although it sits a tad uneven on the work top but easly corrected with a MDF base.
Couple of small screws come out in transit easly put back in :)

Would i refer this supplier to anyone new looking to buy ? HELL YES !

Thanks Scott & Martin for all the help , shame i missed the discount on my orders but oh well :)

Justin
28-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Why didn't you get your discount?

Scotty@BMS
28-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Hmmmmm, the website didn't take the tenner off. I'll whack £10 extra loyalty points on your account now Lee.

Scotty@BMS
28-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Incidentally, you'll see that you've received the applicable discounts on today's order. ;)

Paul
28-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Hmmmmm, the website didn't take the tenner off. I'll whack £10 extra loyalty points on your account now Lee.

LOL :wink:

Kahboose
28-06-2012, 05:38 PM
For anyone wondering BMS are possibly one of the nicest companies ive ever dealt with online full stop.

Loyalty points awarded (much appreciated thank you) Just awaiting my Cameo Cutter to be delievered cant wait to play with that baby when she arrives, Already got family wanting wedding invites cut fancy just gotto learn how to use it :)

Cheers BMS

Renniwano
28-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Just don't do what I did.. not log/register before you place a large order lmao..

Jason
30-06-2012, 02:45 AM
another vote for BMS for me, when I was first looking at sublimation printing BMS were far and away the most helpful and informative company, I would recommend without hesitation.

Winterbits
08-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Which press did you get? I am on a lookout for a press at the moment

WorthDoingRight
10-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Well, I got home last night to find my wife had gone out. She returned later with a build it yourself desk and set about getting me to assemble it. It now sits under the stairs in the hall with a desk lamp, a 9" fan and both my mug press and swing arm press. I am quite amazed really that she had measured the space and was able to find a desk that fitted perfectly with enough space for both my presses. I have as yet not used the swing arm press, I bought it cheap at the weekend along with a Liyu TC631E plotter/cutter and some vinyl. I am now in the process of re-arranging my computer room to accomodate the plotter/cutter. My biggest issue at the moment is a lack of hours in the day to work on my website and to try out all these items. I hope to finish getting my last mug items into the ecommerce software today and then I can concentrate on producing items for the other categories.

Scotty@BMS
10-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Which press did you get? I am on a lookout for a press at the moment

What are you looking to press, mate?

Winterbits
10-07-2012, 11:12 PM
I am after pressing, iphone cases, coasters, small cushion covers, basically most novelty gifts. :)

Scotty@BMS
11-07-2012, 10:13 AM
I am after pressing, iphone cases, coasters, small cushion covers, basically most novelty gifts. :)

This might suit your needs, Sir.

http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/693/30cm-x-38cm-swing-away-press.htm