PDA

View Full Version : Cutter .. Cameo ?

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Thinking of just going for the Cameo Cutter from BMS , Just wondering how easy it is to use it for weeding transfers for inkjet prints ?
Also i have a heatpress on order but will i need anything else to start vinyl printing on t-shirts ? for example software tools (obviously a weed tool) but anything else ?

cheers

Paul
27-06-2012, 07:50 PM
cameo will come with basic software so all you need is heat press, some vinyl and cutter :)
and off you go ;)

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Thats superb , so tempted to go order the Cameo cutter .. and some vinyl and spend the weekend playing.
Would you know what the basic software is capable off ? im guessing basic letters numbers etc .. I currently use photoshop can vectors for the cameo be made in that program ?

bassqee
27-06-2012, 07:58 PM
The cameo is brilliant, not had a problem with it. Weedind is only as hard as you make it with your designs. It comes with a sticky carrier for when your cutting paper, cardboard etc.
It has a trace function so you can import an image and trace it easily to create the lines for cutting.

Paul
27-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Thats superb , so tempted to go order the Cameo cutter .. and some vinyl and spend the weekend playing.
Would you know what the basic software is capable off ? im guessing basic letters numbers etc .. I currently use photoshop can vectors for the cameo be made in that program ?
photoshop is not vector software. so for this you would need corelDraw, illustrator or free inkscape.

Iam sure standard cameo soft can do bit more then text and numbers ;)

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Cheers guys i think im going to order one , wished i had earlier it would have came tomorrow with my press :(

Paul
27-06-2012, 08:13 PM
if you do it tonight it still will be with you by weekend ;)
c'mon! you want it! :)

bassqee
27-06-2012, 08:21 PM
I just played about with the software to get some good results - you basically select the area of the image you want to trace fiddle with a few different sliders and see what happens, you soon get a feel for how easily it can be done such as these ones.

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 08:23 PM
just looking on BMS now , would any of you know if the A4 vinyl sheets would work in the cameo ? you know thw ones labeled for the Robo ?
this one ? starter kit (http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/562/craft-robo-flex-flock-starter-kit.htm)

Paul
27-06-2012, 08:26 PM
yes. you can cut up to A3 i believe. CR is A4.

bassqee
27-06-2012, 08:30 PM
The cameo can take up to a3 pre-cut, but if you can buy the full rolls and cut the vinyl to size if needed. As i am just practicing with vinyl (using card more for my photography) i cut the vinyl to size for whatever i am doing and if it is small enough stick it on the cutting mat (12" by 12"), saves all the faffing about changing the roller size :)

bassqee
27-06-2012, 08:31 PM
check out mdp - i got mine fro mthere http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/silhouette-cameo-packs.asp

Paul
27-06-2012, 08:38 PM
getting 50cm rolls and cut them to a3 wide will save you £££ ;)

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Cheers guys , All ordered , along with some 300mm Cameo sheets to have a play on , Anyone got any good trusted outlets online for buying the vinyl rolls for t-shirts printing ?

bassqee
27-06-2012, 08:55 PM
plenty of them depending on what your looking for - www.xpres.co.uk and www.mdpsupplies.co.uk (http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk) are where i have seem the most options.

Paul
27-06-2012, 08:58 PM
plenty of them depending on what your looking for - www.xpres.co.uk (http://www.xpres.co.uk) and www.mdpsupplies.co.uk (http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk) are where i have seem the most options.
+1

my main source of vinyl.

http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/mdpflex.asp?parentcatname=MDP%20Flex%20Clothing%20 Vinyl&parentcat=83

Kahboose
27-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Just watching some info on youtube there is so much you can do with those cameo's other than t-shirt vinyl so glad i ordered it now :)

mgibbs
28-06-2012, 09:33 AM
I use CorelDraw to cut on my Craft Robo.

I would expect you can do the same with the Cameo with software such as Inkscape.

Mark

bigj2552
15-07-2012, 02:16 PM
getting 50cm rolls and cut them to a3 wide will save you £££ ;)

and how much is a 50cm roll of the stuff ?...or did you mean - 50meters rolls ? :confused:...the later would cost a dam fortune to buy....25m roll on mdp are £133 incl vat ( not delivery)

Paul
15-07-2012, 02:31 PM
50cm wide rolls :-)

bigj2552
15-07-2012, 02:38 PM
50cm wide rolls :-)

er.....:redface:

Kahboose
15-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Dunno if anyone else as noticed this but the new update i received this week for the Cameo as messed up the Viny cutting settings .. On standard Heatpress vinyl it tells yout to set the blade to 2 and the speed sets auto to 8 and thickness to 7 (lmao) doesnt even scratch it ..

Luckly i wrote down some custom settings for future use and for standard vinyl i use 7 speed : thickness 17 : blade setting 2 .. Works perfect (for me)

Kahboose
15-07-2012, 03:45 PM
500mm wide is what im using i believe , brought a few 1 meter sheets from MDP to try works great .. Good advice given glad i took it :)
thank you

accdave
15-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Dunno if anyone else as noticed this but the new update i received this week for the Cameo as messed up the Viny cutting settings .. On standard Heatpress vinyl it tells yout to set the blade to 2 and the speed sets auto to 8 and thickness to 7 (lmao) doesnt even scratch it ..

Luckly i wrote down some custom settings for future use and for standard vinyl i use 7 speed : thickness 17 : blade setting 2 .. Works perfect (for me)

Thickness 17 ?. What you cutting concrete ? :)

90% of my use is MDP hot flex, and it's speed 8 thickness 7.

Kahboose
15-07-2012, 08:44 PM
IM using MDP hotflex , the standard setting doesnt touch it .. mmmm /me ponders ..

Kahboose
15-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Though the wife just said we were using the holographic vinyl so maybe thats why .. dunno otherwise ..

this guy is having a similer issue ,, http://www.digitalprimes.com/index.php/photoshop-articles/15-t-shirt-forum/2804-cameo-silhouette-hotflex-vinyl-tips

Could i ask what blade stting your using ? (1?)

accdave
15-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Though the wife just said we were using the holographic vinyl so maybe thats why .. dunno otherwise ..

this guy is having a similer issue ,, http://www.digitalprimes.com/index.php/photoshop-articles/15-t-shirt-forum/2804-cameo-silhouette-hotflex-vinyl-tips

Could i ask what blade stting your using ? (1?)

I have the actual blade set on 2 and the software blade setting at 2.

When I use the Cool Flex sparkly stuff from MDP I change the settings to blade 3, speed 8 and thickness 12, but I also have double cut ticked as well

Kahboose
15-07-2012, 09:16 PM
do you double cut all the time ? or just on the cool flex ?
sorry for all the questions just trying to narrow down if its something im doing incorrect :)
thanks for the help

accdave
15-07-2012, 09:26 PM
do you double cut all the time ? or just on the cool flex ?
sorry for all the questions just trying to narrow down if its something im doing incorrect :)
thanks for the help

No double cut on the standard flex, just the thicker sparkly stuff

Kahboose
15-07-2012, 09:27 PM
ok , thanks for the input going to try that i think .. maybe the blade set to 1 was the problem ;)

hidehi
16-07-2012, 10:10 AM

Yes I have heard that 2.5.8 has removed a lot of the old settings and replaced them with new ones. It's also introduced a lot of new media, so I wonder whether the new blade design is imminent:smile:. I haven't updated the software on mine yet purely because the last update caused me a lot of problems.

bigj2552
18-07-2012, 08:03 PM
my cameo is getting ordered on monday coming.....
will also be ordering the Silhouette Studio® Designer Edition so i can get the rhinestone bit of the software with it.

what material do you guys use for making up your own templates for rhinstones with the cameo ?

edit - @ hidehi - has the new 2.5.8 cameo software got bugs in it ?.....

hidehi
18-07-2012, 09:48 PM
I don't think they're bugs as such, its just that this update has removed some of the old media cutting settings which has annoyed a few people.

I've not updated to 2.5.8 simply because the last update 2.5.0 wouldn't work with my laptop (missing .dlls etc), but Silhouette America were very helpful and provided a 2.5.1 for me which is currently working great...I'm not ready for more potential problems unless the update is worth the hassle! 2.5.0 works on most PC's by the way, I was one of the unlucky ones.

I've just upgraded to Designer Edition so haven't tried rhinestones yet, but I know Silhouette America have a YouTube channel with various tutorials including rhinestones, so it might be worth searching that out. :o)

Paul
18-07-2012, 10:26 PM
what material do you guys use for making up your own templates for rhinstones with the cameo ?
DIY sticky flock :)

bigj2552
18-07-2012, 10:38 PM
DIY sticky flock :)

cheers paul.....i asked this months ago and was trying to find my post lol......can i buy it at MDP along with my vinyl selections for trials ?

is that "sticky flock" stuff the same as pro flock(on mdp) ? .....

i take it its ALL STICKY then ?...thats what flock is ?....hell, i dont know - havnt even seen the dam stuff yet lol

bigj2552
24-07-2012, 04:46 PM
where can you get the upgrade to designer edition for the cameo from ?
Martin sent me a link but it comes up with -
http://www.graphtecgb.com

(http://www.graphtecgb.com)
I can get the cameo and software from here http://www.craftsulove.co.uk/silhouette.htm
but at £44 for the software, seems a tad steep...thought it was only £25 :confused:

buying machine tonight cause i was to dam busy monday to even fart :rolleyes:.

any recommendations where to buy it guys ?...where have you all bought your cameo from then ?
BMS is still on the cards...just looking for opinions

bassqee
24-07-2012, 08:03 PM
got mine from - http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/silhouette-cameo-packs.asp

You can upgrade stright from the software- cost $49.99 though.

bigj2552
24-07-2012, 08:27 PM
got mine from - http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/silhouette-cameo-packs.asp

You can upgrade stright from the software- cost $49.99 though.

just found another site that sells it and the software - £30incl vat(software) :wink:

They also do the rhinestone started pack as well....if i need it

and they seem to give you some extras with it as well -
http://cplshop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42&products_id=260

anyone ever use these guys in the above link ?

bigj2552
24-07-2012, 08:59 PM
mdp look good....as i can buy the upgrade there at the same time :wink: for £28incl vat

and....

would it be wise to be a spare blade while i,m there ?.....how long do these blades last cutting just vinyl ?

hidehi
24-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I bought Studio DE a couple of weeks ago for US$25 (50% off). If you're happy to wait, there are discounts to be had from various places, although they do vary. If you can't wait, then do not pay any more than £25 because that is full price!

bigj2552
24-07-2012, 10:03 PM
thanks for all inputs and replys......off to buy :biggrin:

johnny

bigj2552
24-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Done and dusted :wink:
2 days i should have my cameo - another learning curve on the way...But a fascinating one me thinks....much the same as learning the sublimation stuff...patience and practice

bigj2552
25-07-2012, 02:53 PM
ordered a decent selection of vinyl (and cameo) to get practicing on from BMS....they were actually cheaper to buy in meter than mdp were ????
i only bought the cameo sheets to see what they are like first...
didnt go for any of the glitter stuff....that looks a bloody nightmare to weed :eek:

Had to order the silloutte designer edition from MDP.....so got my weeding tool and a teflon coated squeegee and a roll of Cameo Gloss Sign Vinyl as well...got the sign vinyl to see if it is the stuff paul was talking about combined with the stuff below to make my rhinestone templates. :wink:

also...

just ordered some of this below.....just to see if this is the stuff that can be used to make rhinestone templates or not :wink:
http://www.gift-rush.co.uk/gift/Sticky-Flocked-Sheets/

another serious drain on the wallet :eek:...in fact, its pointless even putting cash in it....as it goes out that bloody fast...yikes !

WorthDoingRight
25-07-2012, 03:41 PM
@ bigj2552 I have not had any money in my wallet since deciding to start a sublimation business. Trouble is I see something and think that will be useful - so got loads of cutting knives, scissors, gloves, silicon and teflon sheets, storage containers, weeding tools, books on opencart, vector art, clipart and fonts on dvd etc, picture frame supplies, pieces of aluminium rod for pucks, boxes of stock and finally paper and more paper and did I mention paper?

I somehow wonder where I am heading but must say the ride is so far fun even if I cannot move around the office lol

bigj2552
25-07-2012, 03:52 PM
@worth - yep, same here bud....enjoying the learning curve a lot...

on another note...since i dont know where else to post this -

do i have to but the "rhinestone starter kit" just so i can get the brush and backing boards ?
i want to be able to buy my own rhinestones not what they give me....

anyone know where i can buy seperates from ? or do i HAVE to buy the kit :rolleyes:

draig
25-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Have a look in your local DIY store, Harris brushes do a set of paint pads which includes a suitable pad for brushing rhinestones into templates. They may have it seperate but I couldn't find one here locally.

The Transferpress sell rhinestones at competative prices also.

I use a melamine tray for my work. £3 from Wilkinsons. For backing boards a few years ago I bought a shed load of plastic boards from Wrexham Market and use them.
Sharon

bigj2552
25-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Have a look in your local DIY store, Harris brushes do a set of paint pads which includes a suitable pad for brushing rhinestones into templates. They may have it seperate but I couldn't find one here locally.

The Transferpress sell rhinestones at competative prices also.

I use a melamine tray for my work. £3 from Wilkinsons. For backing boards a few years ago I bought a shed load of plastic boards from Wrexham Market and use them.
Sharon

thanks for the info...tesco( every little helps ) LOL :wink:

bigj2552
26-07-2012, 03:16 PM
cameo arrived today - top notch service from BMS again...thanks martin :wink:
and a selection of vinyl & flock for me to have a potter about with.....

bought the upgrade designer edition software and some tools from MDP....they are due to arrive this afternoon, according to the tracking :cool:....
gonna be a fun weekend.....

off to order some t-shirts to have a play on this weekend

happy days :biggrin:

Paul
26-07-2012, 04:36 PM
sweet workspace with two Bros ;)

bigj2552
27-07-2012, 01:35 PM
thanks paul....that aint even the work space lol......thats over the other side of the room :tongue:

right....need some info here....cameo print n cut....

looked on youtube......

to do print n cut it says i have to print design out with registration marks...yep, fine...then put it into the cameo and it will cut out the design...yep......

does that mean i will have to load the vinyl into the brother to get printed FIRST i take it...then take it out and fire it into the cameo for it to cut it out with the registration marks ?

if so....how the hell do i load it into the brother printer i got 5910dw.....its got a tray feed system at the bottom...and
WILL IT TAKE VINYL without jamming it ???....

or am i missing the point here altogether ? :confused:....early days yet :rolleyes:

anyone ?

bms
27-07-2012, 04:45 PM
thanks paul....that aint even the work space lol......thats over the other side of the room :tongue:

right....need some info here....cameo print n cut....

looked on youtube......

to do print n cut it says i have to print design out with registration marks...yep, fine...then put it into the cameo and it will cut out the design...yep......

does that mean i will have to load the vinyl into the brother to get printed FIRST i take it...then take it out and fire it into the cameo for it to cut it out with the registration marks ?

if so....how the hell do i load it into the brother printer i got 5910dw.....its got a tray feed system at the bottom...and
WILL IT TAKE VINYL without jamming it ???....

or am i missing the point here altogether ? :confused:....early days yet :rolleyes:

anyone ?

You don't print onto the flex or vinyl. These are single coloured items which you cut only.
You can buy other materials that you print onto via the Cameo and the load into the Cameo and these will be A4 sheets. The image must be in the Cameo software with cut lines set and then printed. For subli dark you would need to use PowerDriver (not available for Brother) to ensure correct colour management. Other materials could be colour laser vinyl or printable flex (not sublimation inks, but Epson durabrite) or OBM for colour laser (these are just examples).

bigj2552
27-07-2012, 05:38 PM
thanks martin......finally got it to cut properly.......

now the vinyl i bought from you martin....the normal stuff......when i print this using the cut mat - when i apply some sticky tape to take it off the cutting matt - is there ment to be a sticky residue left on the cutting mat ?.....just wanted to print company name out and stick it to the front of the cameo for a test......it dont go on......anything to do with the sticky crap left on the cutting mat by any chance ?

or is it the wrong stuff i got ?

and......

thats anything else finished for tonight anyway.....WHY ??

thats the last bloody time that ******* wireless keyboard cuts out on me again....it just got terminated :mad:.
Using my laptop downstairs now and off to look at ebuyer for NEW WIRED keyboard :rolleyes:
The Y - W - S - T and the other letters went flying around the room.....ah well...

accdave
27-07-2012, 06:52 PM

now the vinyl i bought from you martin....the normal stuff......when i print this using the cut mat - when i apply some sticky tape to take it off the cutting matt - is there ment to be a sticky residue left on the cutting mat ?.....just wanted to print company name out and stick it to the front of the cameo for a test......it dont go on......anything to do with the sticky crap left on the cutting mat by any chance ?

and......

thats the last bloody time that ******* wireless keyboard cuts out on me again....it just got terminated :mad:.
Using my laptop downstairs now and off to look at ebuyer for NEW WIRED keyboard :rolleyes:
The Y - W - S - T and the other letters went flying around the room.....ah well...

You don't use the cutting mat for flex/vinyl

bms
27-07-2012, 07:04 PM

and......

Sorry, I don't know what you have got, but I presume it is flex, not vinyl. Flex is heat pressed onto garments. Vinyl is sticky backed for windows etc. We have discontinued vinyl so I presume you have flex unless you are using another suppliers vinyl.

bigj2552
27-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Sorry, I don't know what you have got, but I presume it is flex, not vinyl. Flex is heat pressed onto garments. Vinyl is sticky backed for windows etc. We have discontinued vinyl so I presume you have flex unless you are using another suppliers vinyl.

now i know it was time to call it a day martin.....its flex bud.....:redface:
will start again tomorrow lol.....give it a break for today
still learning about this side of things......:redface:

so whats the stuff i,m thinking about then ?.....the vinyl stuff that can go on without heatpressing ?

bigj2552
27-07-2012, 07:49 PM
You don't use the cutting mat for flex/vinyl

i seen it used on youtube bud.....many times :confused:

accdave
27-07-2012, 08:16 PM
i seen it used on youtube bud.....many times :confused:

Never used one in 4 years of doing this :biggrin:

bigj2552
27-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Never used one in 4 years of doing this :biggrin:

think a need a beer lol

bms
27-07-2012, 08:34 PM
so whats the stuff i,m thinking about then ?.....the vinyl stuff that can go on without heatpressing ?

That's called... Wait for it... Vinyl :-)

bigj2552
27-07-2012, 08:47 PM
That's called... Wait for it... Vinyl :-)

aye...told ya i needed a beer bud.....even a BUD lol

WorthDoingRight
27-07-2012, 09:32 PM
These last few thread posts reminded me of a story I heard. The former mayor of Birmingham was attending a banquet with a delegation from France when they were served a 'Vol-au-vent'. The mayor was then supposedly heard asking her french counterpart in English 'and what do they call these in France?'. Needless to say they wished they had not asked that question lol

I think there must be a lot of confusion I imagine between names we use in the UK and names the Americans use for slightly different materials. I think bigj2552 has been watching the same rhinestone template video as me where the guy starts with a piece of oracal 631 vinyl to which they heat press a piece of flock and then he puts this composite material onto a carrier sheet and cuts a rhinestone template out of this composite material. However the flock they use looks nothing like the slightly furry material I imagine we call flock in the uk but like a thick smooth material. I know I can source material similar to the oracal 631 which is a low tac repositionable vinyl easily enough but I am still not sure what material is that the american guy is calling flock.

bigj2552
28-07-2012, 12:47 AM
@worth.....this is getting confusing to say the least lol.....

is this the stuff i can put on without heat ?
http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/cameosignvinylrolls.asp

WorthDoingRight
28-07-2012, 11:10 AM
is this the stuff i can put on without heat ?
http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/cameosignvinylrolls.asp

Yes, this is sign vinyl - so it is sticky backed and once you peel the backing sheet off it can be stuck on items.

bigj2552
28-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Yes, this is sign vinyl - so it is sticky backed and once you peel the backing sheet off it can be stuck on items.

right.....cheers bud......i,m good to go ......

off to order some.......
still waiting on my hotfix transfer tape(or whatever its called ) coming through the post. cant practice on some material i have here till i get it :rolleyes:..

going to get a new WIRED keyboard today after yesterdays termination of the faulty wireless one lol :wink:.

thats if the local asda sells them...if not, i,m stuffed till monday:rolleyes:

india
31-07-2012, 04:48 PM
ive just taken the plunge and ordered my cameo too
Also ordered the rhinestone starter kit
So will be playing and no doubt coming on here asking all sorts of silly questions in next few days!!
This little machine seems to do almost everything, cant wait to get playing

bigj2552
04-08-2012, 11:53 PM
if anyone with the cameo can help here---have asked over on there forums, but it takes a while for responce.

Have the designer edition and making rhinestone templates from sticky flock ( great idea - thanks paul..works great )...problem is -
example - i,m put up the letter "s", hit the rhinstone button at top bar of cameo software -hit the SS10 size on the right hand side - cut - cuts out holes perfect - go to put SS10 stones into the holes - they fall through. eh ?:confused:

check settings -check i got right stone size - yep, so how the hell is it making the holes bigger than ss10's ??

open to any suggestions on this one :rolleyes:....
you just get rid of one problem -another comes up and bits you in the ass:rolleyes: the joys

WorthDoingRight
05-08-2012, 12:10 AM
i,m put up the letter "s", hit the rhinstone button at top bar of cameo software -hit the SS10 size on the right hand side - cut - cuts out holes perfect - go to put SS10 stones into the holes - they fall through. eh

The simple answer is they will fall through the holes as the holes are made bigger than the rhinestones for a reason. The best analogy is a golf ball going into the hole. You cut your template out of flock leaving holes slightly bigger than the rhinestones. You then stick the flock onto a hard surface like botton of a baking tin and throw a bunch of rhinestones in and gently brush them into the slightly bigger holes - you now see the golf ball into hole analogy? Once you have all the rhinestones in the holes the right way up you use mylar transfer tape to pick them all up out of the holes and use this to iron them on to your item.

Hope that helps

bigj2552
05-08-2012, 12:24 AM
The simple answer is they will fall through the holes as the holes are made bigger than the rhinestones for a reason. The best analogy is a golf ball going into the hole. You cut your template out of flock leaving holes slightly bigger than the rhinestones. You then stick the flock onto a hard surface like botton of a baking tin and throw a bunch of rhinestones in and gently brush them into the slightly bigger holes - you now see the golf ball into hole analogy? Once you have all the rhinestones in the holes the right way up you use mylar transfer tape to pick them all up out of the holes and use this to iron them on to your item.

Hope that helps

hi bud....hope yer getting on with yer flock :tongue:

so they dont have to be the proper size ?...DOH :redface::redface: oh well...live n learn

EDIT....

just tried template and added rhinestones to it....the holes are to big, the stones dont line up properly.....arghh...off to resarch more into this

another edit -
so what about stone size ss6's...there aint no way in hell they are gonna sit right in a ss10 hole bud ?
there must be a way to alter stone sizes in software or something ???:confused:

Paul
05-08-2012, 11:54 AM
you want your holes bit biger. I always use ss6 and cut holes for ss7. Stones line up lovely and no problems with brushing them in. Just make sure dont change the size of your whole template when is done :-)

bigj2552
06-08-2012, 12:34 AM
thanks paul.......just done my first template and fired it onto my practice t-shirt....bloody brill -SO EASY :biggrin:.

the hardest, or longest part is gonna be making up the templates and finding somewhere/thing to store them in.

WorthDoingRight
07-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Well I made my first template of a smiley face from that flock bigj2552 put me onto - must say it is a bit flimsy and cutting the holes out was not easy. I then just stuck it onto a cd case and brushed my rhinestones in. Still awaiting for my transfer film to arrive. It seems to have gone astray in the postal service somewhere :frown:

Paul
07-08-2012, 03:16 PM
thanks paul.......just done my first template and fired it onto my practice t-shirt....bloody brill -SO EASY :biggrin:.

the hardest, or longest part is gonna be making up the templates and finding somewhere/thing to store them in.so where is photo then? :-)

bigj2552
07-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Well I made my first template of a smiley face from that flock bigj2552 put me onto - must say it is a bit flimsy and cutting the holes out was not easy. I then just stuck it onto a cd case and brushed my rhinestones in. Still awaiting for my transfer film to arrive. It seems to have gone astray in the postal service somewhere :frown:

aye, it is a bit flimsy.......i leave the backing sheet ON, as it gives it MORE depth for stones to fall into and makes it little more rigid.

without backing,i was brushing stones in and the little buggers were coming out as well as in :mad:.
with the backing on, it helps me a lot.....
funny as hell - my hands are huge and trying to use tweesers to lift a tiny,tiny stone into place -it's like david and goliath

and for paul - aye, ok ok....will fire it up tomorrow :-)

Paul
07-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Backing sheet on??? How did you cut the holes then???

bigj2552
07-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Backing sheet on??? How did you cut the holes then???

p**s easy with the cameo bud...:wink: cuts straight through flock and backing with ease......easy weed out holes as well .
templates are a doddle to make

WorthDoingRight
08-08-2012, 12:55 AM
p**s easy with the cameo bud...:wink: cuts straight through flock and backing with ease......easy weed out holes as well .
templates are a doddle to make

Well this sounds a bit weird, if you cut through the flock and the backing layer then surely you will just have a hole? I thought you were cutting through the flock layer (and some how weeding the 'flock' holes out) and leaving the backing layer intact.

Once you have your flock with holes in you can stick the flock to a piece of board to let you use it over again? Still trying to track down my transfer sheet - damn RM as usual no doubt.

Paul
08-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Yes. You need to press yoir flock first to the vinyl. Take clear sheet off. And the ut fluffy side up. If you use shiny side up you will have loads of problems when transfering your stones to the transfer tape.

bigj2552
08-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Well this sounds a bit weird, if you cut through the flock and the backing layer then surely you will just have a hole? I thought you were cutting through the flock layer (and some how weeding the 'flock' holes out) and leaving the backing layer intact.

Once you have your flock with holes in you can stick the flock to a piece of board to let you use it over again? Still trying to track down my transfer sheet - damn RM as usual no doubt.

thats correct worth but - i find if i do it that way, the ends of the flock tends to curl up after a while and doesnt stick and the holes dont seem to have enough depth to hold the stones in properly while i,m brushing the things in -
If i keep the backing ON - the template stays rigid,the holes have a little more depth(stones stay in place better), and it doesnt curl at edges so should last longer in storage i would have thought :confused:.

cutting through the whole lot - peel off from cutting mat and hole cut outs are left stuck to mat - perfect holes on flock

india
08-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Help. I'm trying to cut some vinyl
With my cameo and nothing is happening
I load vinyl click send to silhouette and click cut
The blue lines appear as if sending to machine
But nothing actually happens. I've tried a test cut and that
Worked and have done some paper. So nonidea what I'm doing wrong
Any suggestions anyone. I'm so peed off cos was looking forward to doing some vinyl bits and now
Can't. Thanks

Paul
08-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Try increse cuting depth.

bigj2552
08-08-2012, 07:12 PM
right....dont laugh.
my very first template and onto t-shirt.
need to practice on ungrouping the little buggers and lining them up better...

template - 1114couple of holes didnt come out proprerly....gonna up the thickness by 2 next time round -was on a cutting mat.

black rhinestones on one of my old t-shirts.....i no, i dont and will not be wearing it lol...just to practice on :tongue:

no where near good enough yet....but it is only my first one :wink:

india
08-08-2012, 07:24 PM
i think it looks fab.
you r having more success than i am.

Cat even get my cameo to do anything with vinyl, no idea what i am doing wrong x

india
08-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Try increse cuting depth.
ive tried that, still the same, this is soo annoying, had so much planned for this machine and fed up now x

Paul
08-08-2012, 08:53 PM
right....dont laugh.

template - 1114couple of holes didnt come out proprerly....gonna up the thickness by 2 next time round -was on a cutting mat.

black rhinestones on one of my old t-shirts.....i no, i dont and will not be wearing it lol...just to practice on :tongue:

what you on about??? looks great! I am sure you will look lovely in this tee :)

RogerC
08-08-2012, 08:54 PM
right....dont laugh.

Looks pretty good to me..........:cool:

bigj2552
08-08-2012, 08:57 PM
what you on about??? looks great! I am sure you will look lovely in this tee :)

i knew i was gonna get some flak for this one lol....i knew it :tongue:

bigj2552
08-08-2012, 09:00 PM
ive tried that, still the same, this is soo annoying, had so much planned for this machine and fed up now x

right, lets try and get you sorted now.....

first of all - what software version are you using ?.....as in model number, and is it the designer edition ?

WorthDoingRight
09-08-2012, 12:12 PM
@bigj2552 Why did you not post the picture of the matching skirt you did?

rotflmao

bigj2552
09-08-2012, 04:41 PM
@bigj2552 Why did you not post the picture of the matching skirt you did?

rotflmao

oh for goodness sake - i told you not to tell anyone....that was our little secret.
anyway, i can now send this skirt back to you in the post...it didnt fit me properly.

thanks for sending it anyway :tongue:...the thought was there :tongue:...maybe ....to much thought...ROFL :tongue:

WorthDoingRight
09-08-2012, 04:58 PM
oh for goodness sake - i told you not to tell anyone....that was our little secret.
anyway, i can now send this skirt back to you in the post...it didnt fit me properly.

thanks for sending it anyway :tongue:...the thought was there :tongue:...maybe ....to much thought...ROFL :tongue:

Get a life bigj2552! As if I would ever send you one of my skirts - go buy your own lol

bigj2552
11-08-2012, 01:23 PM
well,thats me buggered up my cutting mat......
had to trial n error all the settings again as i went back to the older software :rolleyes:

off to buy another mat i suppose.....:rolleyes:

AdamB
11-08-2012, 01:26 PM
well,thats me buggered up my cutting mat.......

You must have pushed the setting right up at the start then?

If testing a cutter - always start off with too little pressure and work up with a test cut.

bigj2552
11-08-2012, 01:50 PM
You must have pushed the setting right up at the start then?

If testing a cutter - always start off with too little pressure and work up with a test cut.

lol...yep, how you guess......lesson learned again :wink:

WorthDoingRight
13-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your cutting mat biting the bullet. My transfer tape has still not arrived so now assumed eaten by RM. I did however purchase some rhinestone software so made a template out of sandblasting film (so much easier to cut than the flock) and used this to lay out some stones. Would have been much more successful with tape but the result is pleasing for a first attempt.

Kahboose
13-08-2012, 12:30 PM
All those rhinestone designs look good to me , Im yet to attempt using rhinestones. Anyone got any good links to videos on learning the basics ?
Cheers :)

bigj2552
13-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your cutting mat biting the bullet. My transfer tape has still not arrived so now assumed eaten by RM. I did however purchase some rhinestone software so made a template out of sandblasting film (so much easier to cut than the flock) and used this to lay out some stones. Would have been much more successful with tape but the result is pleasing for a first attempt.

is that the same princess writing/rhinestonesthat you told me about that you put on your boxers to impress the ladies ? :tongue:.
i dont know....some guys will do anything to get the woman :tongue:

WorthDoingRight
13-08-2012, 02:00 PM
is that the same princess writing/rhinestonesthat you told me about that you put on your boxers to impress the ladies ? :tongue:.
i dont know....some guys will do anything to get the woman :tongue:

No my first attempt with the same red flex was 'May Contain NUTS' which was pressed on the front of my briefs.

I then put a smiley face with rhinestones on my wife's undies.

I wonder if you are mistaking the 'princess' on my boxers for my tattoo? You know the one I told you about that says LUDO most of the time and LLANDUDNO for some of the time :rolleyes:

Paul
13-08-2012, 03:14 PM
Sandblasting cut very nice and stones go in to the holes easy. Crap bit is when you apply tape. It sticks to sandblasting vinyl so much that you need to use bit of force to get it off. And then loads of stones are coming off. :-(

WorthDoingRight
13-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Sandblasting cut very nice and stoned go in to the holes easy. Crap bit is when yo apply tape. It sticks to sandblasting vinyl so much that you need to use bit of force to get it off. And then loads of stones are coming off. :-(

Well as I have not received the transfer tape yet (I ordered 2 weeks ago but it failed to arrive) I am unable to prove the point but I did wonder. I am also going to try cutting a template from another material that I have now received and see if that works also.

If I can be bothered to put a 60 degree blade in the holder then I might try cutting that flock that Johnny put me onto again - it cut really badly with a 45 deg blade.

Paul
13-08-2012, 04:33 PM
my first templates i made of sandblasting material and flock was c45 and it was working fine. you need to lower the speed right down tho :)

WorthDoingRight
13-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Well I will try the flock again with a lower speed and the 45 degree blade. Not an issue as the flock is cheap enough in A4 sheets to not worry too much about if they dont work.

bigj2552
21-08-2012, 05:55 PM
YES ! just mastered the art of contour cutting with this cameo.
means when i do transfer t-shirts, there will be little/no residue left on then t-shirt after pressing :biggrin:

esp on the black T's where the residue shows up a hell of a lot more :rolleyes:
JOB DONE...NEXT :cool:

bigj2552
21-08-2012, 08:20 PM
another UNBELIEVABLE moment.....:mad:

have been trying out contour cutting with great success on PAPER - just went to trial cut another design on PAPER - and the blade is tearing it to shreds....WTF ?

took blade out - its jaggy as hell - other words - its buggered - cutting paper ? :rolleyes:

i think this dam blade has been knackered from the start, cause it has caused all sort of dam problems...installing the older software helped A LOT but, was still never right compared to others settings, was way off.:rolleyes:

maybe need to talk to martin and see if he can fire out a new blade for me.
another step back, just when i thought i was getting forward :rolleyes:

Dave271069
15-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Looking to buy a cameo very soon, who has the best offers, deals, specials, freebies then to persuade me to spend my £280 with them:tongue:

bigj2552
15-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Looking to buy a cameo very soon, who has the best offers, deals, specials, freebies then to persuade me to spend my £280 with them:tongue:

this one is a no brainer really bud

http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/564/silhouette-cameo-cutter-plotter.htm
Top notch service and machine from Martin @ BMS

there aint really any "freebies" with this machine....99% of ALL sellers/shops sell the standard machine and bits n bobs that come with it.....you want anything else like upgraded software,extra mats/tools ect you need to part with some cash bud :wink:

you might get the odd one who flings in there own font disc or similar, but TBH, these are all avaiable elsewhere :rolleyes:...just makes you think your getting better deal, when in reality, your not really...same as the rest

WorthDoingRight
15-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Looking to buy a cameo very soon

Well if bigj2552 has a bad day you might be able to pick one up cheap :rolleyes:

bigj2552
15-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Well if bigj2552 has a bad day you might be able to pick one up cheap :rolleyes:

not a chance with this bud....£300 quid for the cameo compared to £15 keyboard...even i,m not that daft....well, unless it reeeeeally piss's me off....na only kidding :wink: