PDA

View Full Version : Printing on ceramoc tiles

joconnell
05-03-2010, 06:19 PM
I am printing onto a ceramic tile for the first time. I will be using a 5 inch oval ceramic glossy tile.
Any suggestions on the optimum time, temperature and pressure.
Many Thanks,
James

Justin
05-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Not done any ceramic tiles in a while now, from memory I think they were 4 mins at 197c but if I'm wrong no doubt many will tell me! lol. Fairly heavy pressure and BE WARNED tile is incredibly hot when finished :evil:

I used a thin rubber mat (Listawood) to print mine as this ensured the print went right over the edges. End result on tiles is really good and well worth the effort. I did a mosiac for someones' kitchen and they were very pleased.

Kaz
05-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Not done any tiles, but found this on a website for you

•Position product face up in heat press
•Temperature: 400° Fahrenheit
•Time: 5 minutes
•Pressure: Medium
•Remove paper immediately

Hope that helps

bms
05-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Some press these upside down, others the right way up.

I'd suggest Temp 200 degrees for 4 to 5 minutes if you are pressing the right way up with a piece of red silicon rubberised material to allow the image to wrap around the edge of the tile. If you press upside down then keep the temp the same but increase time to 6 minutes to allow the heat to go through the back of the tile. The softer base of the press then enables the paper to wrap around the edge of the tile. Pressure medium to firm.

Paul
05-03-2010, 07:57 PM
hi! I have dome LOADS of them. all p side down. 3.5 min. in 190C. it will work :) trust me ;)

btw. I love those tiles. sahme they so dear :(

joconnell
05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Used firm pressure, 200C and 6 minutes face down and it turned out perfect. This has opened up a new stream for me.
Many thanks for all your help.
James

Justin
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Nice one James....and don't they look good!!! If you can, please post a pic so we can see the end result :D

Paul
06-03-2010, 09:15 AM
6min??? try on 3.5min it may save you some money ;)

joconnell
06-03-2010, 06:34 PM
The image I used was a hand drawn sketch in pencil, so there is no colour and a photo would really not show much.
Regards,
James

GoldRapt
01-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey up every body,
I was wondering, like market mik lasers on asda mugs, does one have to buy pre treated ceramic tiles or can one transfer an image onto any ceramic tile please?

bms
01-04-2010, 06:34 PM
does one have to buy pre treated ceramic tiles or can one transfer an image onto any ceramic tile please

Printing anything via sublimation has to go onto a pre-treated item otherwise there is no polyester/ polymer for the sublimation inks to bond with.

GoldRapt
01-04-2010, 06:56 PM
That's great.
Does that also mean that the laser route doesnt require a pre treated surface like market miks mugs?

bms
01-04-2010, 07:17 PM
The laser process doesn't required any pre-treatment as this sticks to the surface of the item with the special glue effect on the papers. The quality is not the same as sublimation though.

GoldRapt
01-04-2010, 07:49 PM
The laser process doesn't required any pre-treatment as this sticks to the surface of the item with the special glue effect on the papers. The quality is not the same as sublimation though.

That's fantastic news Martin.
My plan is/was to laser onto cheap ceramic tiles so that I can practice and also make promotional dummies .

I'll have to pop over to the shop and see what prices the sub tiles are.