PDA

View Full Version : to chinese or not to chinese

bigj2552
12-07-2012, 12:55 PM
going for new cutter/plotter end of this mth.....

question is -

to buy the silloutte cameo
or
go for a chinese machine 28" and upwards
cameo around £300 - similar price i can get 54"chinese one (LIYU) for around same price...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Good-Quality-LIYU-Vinyl-Cutter-Cutting-Plotter-SC1361-54-inch-Fast-Delivery-/280873112191?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item416557927f
do i need 54" at the moment ? - NO....will i need it later down the line ? - Maybe....

the cameo has a good proven track record that has me swinging in favour for it.
But to upgrade in 1/2 yrs and spend same cash again ?????

but i dont know how reliable these LIYU cutters really are....and hope they work with corel/photoshop...or its yet more cash out for bloody software:rolleyes:.....probably need other software anyway..sigh :rolleyes:

WorthDoingRight
12-07-2012, 01:04 PM
I have bought a Liyu TC631E, it does have a driver for coreldraw as long as you are using 32 bit and not 64 bit windows (but I havent used this). It also comes with depending on package you buy 12 months Signcut Pro or a lifetime of Flexi 10 starter for more money.

The big issue with these chinese machines is the absolutely terrible instructions and the fact that you need to have some pc knowledge to install the driver software and configure com ports. Luckily there are some tutorials/videos on the importers forum to get you going and if necessary they offer remote assistance.

Biggest issue I had was assembling the stand and then actually mounting the cutter onto the stand - the instructions are just that poor.

I am really looking forward to cutting my first tee shirt flex and my first vinyl lettering - so far been 'cutting' on plain paper using the pen attachment - just to get used to the software.

Well I followed you down the route of Brother printers so maybe you can now follow me down the Liyu cutter route lol

I am however wondering why you would need to cut anything as big as 54" tall and even wider. I think for most cases a smaller plotter would be sufficient as still possible to create a cut almost 600mm wide and 3,000mm long supposedly!!

bigj2552
12-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I have bought a Liyu TC631E, it does have a driver for coreldraw as long as you are using 32 bit and not 64 bit windows (but I havent used this). It also comes with depending on package you buy 12 months Signcut Pro or a lifetime of Flexi 10 starter for more money.

The big issue with these chinese machines is the absolutely terrible instructions and the fact that you need to have some pc knowledge to install the driver software and configure com ports. Luckily there are some tutorials/videos on the importers forum to get you going and if necessary they offer remote assistance.

Biggest issue I had was assembling the stand and then actually mounting the cutter onto the stand - the instructions are just that poor.

I am really looking forward to cutting my first tee shirt flex and my first vinyl lettering - so far been 'cutting' on plain paper using the pen attachment - just to get used to the software.

Well I followed you down the route of Brother printers so maybe you can now follow me down the Liyu cutter route lol

i forgot you had one of those cutters lol :biggrin:.....how are you finding it bud ?....cutting ok ? any probs so far with it ?..apart from what you stated.

and i,m using windows 64 :rolleyes:....stuffed then ?

johnny

WorthDoingRight
12-07-2012, 01:16 PM
i forgot you had one of those cutters lol :biggrin:.....how are you finding it bud ?....cutting ok ? any probs so far with it ?..apart from what you stated.

and i,m using windows 64 :rolleyes:....stuffed then ?

johnny

I like my TC631E, I bought it over the SC631E as it had a much larger internal buffer which supposedly helps alleviate issues that some have had with complex designs on the SC631E.

I also live within 5 mins of Signzworld and have been to visit them and find them a great bunch to talk to - its a kind of 'open house' company and they welcome you in and give you a tour.

I would however suggest that if possible you connect your plotter via a serial port connection on your pc - this is the best supported method of communicating and if you buy a machine with an 'optical' eye it is a tad easier to use.

I also considered the cameo but not unhappy with my purchase so far but it is early days and just ordered some tee-shirt flex to try it on. I have not seen vinyl bigger than 600mm yet so dont need a machine that is twice that size.

Richard

bigj2552
12-07-2012, 01:48 PM
have heard "rumours" that the optical eye on these things go tits up after a while or simply dont work at all !....

get yer flex through bud and have a crack at it....so i can gauge your responce lol

Paul
12-07-2012, 01:52 PM
You wont be able to use photoshop with any cutter :-)

bigj2552
12-07-2012, 01:58 PM
You wont be able to use photoshop with any cutter :-)

no plug in / marcos or anything paul ?

Paul
12-07-2012, 02:27 PM
No. Coz photoshop is not vector software. I would recomend flexi starter for working with cutters. Best i my opinion for this job.

bigj2552
12-07-2012, 03:22 PM
any supporters of signcutpro and there yearly sub ?
http://www.signcut.net/eshopb/

mrs maggot
12-07-2012, 03:40 PM
i still work with signblazer i know its old fashioned and defunct, but it works

Paul
12-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Signblazer is unother option and only one that is free. Does work but is extremly user unfriendly :-)

draig
12-07-2012, 05:48 PM
I still use Signcut 2002 along with others (Sign Tools3 or Corel itself). Depends on complexity of graphic etc.

Sharon

Paul
12-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Corel? Corel doas not let you cut anything. Only if corect macro is instaled. But this wont work with every cutter i think. Or oam wrong?

Imme
12-07-2012, 06:35 PM
When faced with the same choice as you, I opted for the Cameo because I thought that quality was more important than size. But three months later I came to the conclusion that a 300mm wide cut just wasn't wide enough.
However I was so impressed with the quality of Graphtec's little machine that I spent the extra and brought their CE5000-60.
I know it cost three times as much as the Chinese ones but it was set up in minutes, works with Illustrator & can contour cut with ease.
I guess if you go for the quality option you will have something that will hold its value!

RogerC
12-07-2012, 08:02 PM
When faced with the same choice as you, I opted for the Cameo because I thought that quality was more important than size. But three months later I came to the conclusion that a 300mm wide cut just wasn't wide enough.
However I was so impressed with the quality of Graphtec's little machine that I spent the extra and brought their CE5000-60.
I know it cost three times as much as the Chinese ones but it was set up in minutes, works with Illustrator & can contour cut with ease.
I guess if you go for the quality option you will have something that will hold its value!

I bought the 5000-60 a few years back and to be honest I find it 'brilliant'.......yes it was more than a cheapo chinese 'fleabay' cutter but well worth the peace of mind IMO.

Paul regarding the 'Corel doesn't let you cut anything'? My X3 is set up and cuts direct to my Graphtec 5000 (albeit it routes to Robo master pro software to do it) and with the cut line profile set up in X3 it routes through Versaworks it cuts quite happily....or have I misunderstood your meaning?

bigj2552
12-07-2012, 08:12 PM

extra !....that one you got is like over £1200 if im right in saying :eek:

Imme
12-07-2012, 08:31 PM
£975 without a stand, three and a bit times a Chinese cutter (or a cameo). But as RogerC said it's brilliant and to me it's worth it.

Paul
12-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Paul regarding the 'Corel doesn't let you cut anything'? My X3 is set up and cuts direct to my Graphtec 5000 (albeit it routes to Robo master pro software to do it) and with the cut line profile set up in X3 it routes through Versaworks it cuts quite happily....or have I misunderstood your meaning?
corel dont cut out of the box. you need macro to do it as ar as iam concern.

RogerC
12-07-2012, 09:16 PM
corel dont cut out of the box. you need macro to do it as ar as iam concern.

You're correct Paul however as cutters.....printer/cutters usually come with software to enable cutting it is just a matter of 'linking' Corel to those programmes as I did with Robo master and Versaworks....simples. As far as I am aware you don't need a macro.

bigj2552
25-07-2012, 05:40 PM
and the answer to my thread topic - not to chinese.....bought the silloutte cameo :wink:

WorthDoingRight
25-07-2012, 08:20 PM
and the answer to my thread topic - not to chinese.....bought the silloutte cameo :wink:

Damn and I was looking forward to Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice!!!