PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use an Amaya machine?

smo
27-07-2012, 09:53 PM
We've just taken delivery of our new Amaya XTS, I have to say that its fantastic even to someone like me who knows nothing about embroidery as its so easy to use and the software is excellent.

I have noticed on the UK forums most people seem to be "playing" around with brother machines or other home-user type machines, so are there any other Amaya users on here?

Earl Smith
28-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Most Embroidery machines work the same way although youve ´got the extra complication of automated tension control and the OS software. Im sure your supplier will help you learn that during the initial setting up. Once you´ve mastered this then its down to learning the digitising software which is about 90% of what embroidery is all about. Ive been digitising for about 5 years and still learn something different when embroidering on a different fabric.
If you have autodigitising, use it sparingly. Learn to do most of it by hand within the program. It comes out much cleaner and you will have more control over the final work.
Ask whatever you want and Im sure someone on here will be able to help.

smo
28-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I have to admit i dont find the automated tension control or OS software difficult, in fact its really really simple. I've never used an embroidery machine until this arrived. I've changed threads, dealt with simulated thread breaks, changed bobbins, hooped and embroidered 5 designs within 2 hours. Its so incredibly simple to use and far more robust being a professional industrial machine rather than a hobby machine. :)

Earl Smith
29-07-2012, 11:30 AM
I saw the Amaya XT before I bought my Barudan. What put me off was the poor demonstration they laid on for me. I drove 4 hours to their office in north germany and was not very amused. Three thread breaks , computer with not enough power and they had to bend the cap frame to make it fit. Plus its mostly plastic and driven by cables. This being in Germany where they are normally very prepared. Perfect demos from Barudan, Tajima, Toyota, ZSK and Brother. And the Amaya was more expensive than all the others. Machine was cheaper but the software made it expensive. Also when its might be sold on you have to get the ownership title for the OS software transfered to the new owner ( they dont tell you that) . And that was not cheap.
That aside , they are all easy to use. What will make you stand out is your ability to make quality digitising. Knowing how cloth acts under the needle, Which direction to digitise in so the machine runs smoothly, which needles to use and which thead, Poly or Viscose, 40 or 60. Its not hard, just use logic. Im very lucky. The Barudan people who sold me the machine and the Wilcom software are very helpful. If I have a problem with a design I can email it to them and they will put me right. The Wilcom rep is always on hand and he helps as well. Same with the lady who wrote the book on digitising which I posted a few weeks ago. Expensive but worth buying.
I hope your Amaya people are just as helpful.

Sorry, going on a bit ......Its Sunday and the sun is shining....

smo
29-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Sounds like you had an awful experience with Amaya, thankfully mine was the complete opposite. They were fully prepared and everything worked a dream. The XTS is a real beast, i dont know if its differently constructed from the XT but most of it is cast metal so very sturdy and heavy! When we ran it the other day we couldnt get the thread to break, to simulate it for training we had to actually cut it whilst the machine was running with snips.

Its the digitising software that requires the software license transfer, not the OS thankfully.

Our designs have been very well done, as i purchased them as part of a business we aquired i dont have to do any further digitising currently but i'm sure i'll have questions when I do as i appreciate that is where the biggest skill comes in. I'll look at that book you recommend too :)