PDA

View Full Version : Craft Robo

dougdesigns
11-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi all,

i was wondering if anyone uses a Craft Robo to cut out there templates?

From
Doug

Paul
11-03-2010, 04:44 PM
I own CR. I useto cut my own little boxes :) but now I use it mostly for flock. Great little machine.

accdave
11-03-2010, 05:41 PM
I have 3 of them :D

mrs maggot
11-03-2010, 07:52 PM
ive got one and cannot master using it, i have a std large cutter and just cannot get the hang of using the carrier sheet etc, and workign out how on earth to get it to cut where you want it to. i was even considering going on one of the courses they run, seems daft really i use the other vinyl cutter every day but cannot work this one out at all

accdave
11-03-2010, 08:16 PM
What are you using it for ? If it's cutting vinyl you don't need the carrier sheet.

I also have a Foison 24" cutter which I've been threatening to put on e-bay because I can't get to grips with it. I should try using it more often but I'm so used to the Robo I do everything I can on it

R.Prints
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm in exactly the same situation. Have Robo and once mastered I now find it easy to use, recently ended up buying two Foison 24's with the plan of doing larger items, but can't make head nor tails of the system so they will prob get flogged soon. If anyone can operate one please give us a few tips.

Ray

John G
12-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Whats the problem with the foison's - surely a plotter is just a plotter, or is it problems with installation?

accdave
12-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I have all sorts of problems just getting it to feed in a straight line. Had another go this afternoon, decided now it's going on e-bay :(

John G
12-03-2010, 07:31 PM
The feeding isn't a plotter mechanical fault - its just been set up wrong. If its not feeding in a straight line check your pressure on the pinch roller and make sure both are the same and the wheels aren't worn. Check the nerled or grip bar - if this is in 2 pieces, with a join, check the small alan key tighteners to make sure the grip bar isn't slipping. Apart from that its just a case of putting the vinyl in straight and making sure its pulled enough off the roll for the job.

Simples :D

accdave
12-03-2010, 08:24 PM
The pinch rollers don't have an option for adjustment, they just go up and down :D

Definatley no wear, only used it about 4 times.

John G
12-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I've never seen a foison plotter but surely there has to be an adjustment on the pinch rollers. :shock:

accdave
12-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Maybe I should read the manual. Will let you know :D

John G
12-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Are the pinch rollers on a foison not the same as the one in the attached pic

R.Prints
13-03-2010, 10:30 AM
The rollers are different, they operate by a plastic cam lever and are spring loaded, no adjustment, presumably after a time the lever will wear and this may effect the pressure applied. The problem I have with the machine is just trying to understand the system, after using a CraftRobo it seems a very complicated operating system, that said time and evert will probaly sort everything out.

Ray

John G
13-03-2010, 11:19 AM
what cutting software comes with a foison?

R.Prints
16-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Hi John,
My plotter came with Artcut Software,it's probably just a case of putting the time in and sitting down to work it all out, but it's not working so far.

Ray :?

John G
16-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I only use artcut as a cutting program, I don't design in it as its pretty basic. All my work is designed in coreldraw then exported to an eps - artcut imports this then I cut from there.

Cheers John

mrs maggot
16-03-2010, 04:33 PM
the pinch rollers, will be fine, i normally lift them up, pull through at least a couple of inches of vinyl, shut the rollers, now roll a lot through, lift one of the pinch rollers and straighten the roll, then feed it back, sometimes it takes a couple of goes, but if the roll is not rolled straight - which can happen if you buy in 5 & 10mtrs - it works fine.

make sure you put the roll central to the cutter not off to one end, the cutters have a fan in the centre which pulls the vinyl towards it acting as another way of helping to hold the vinyl straight.

pop the cutters on the forum forsale bit first, im after another one :D

John G
16-03-2010, 04:59 PM
I've never seen a plotter with a fan on it to keep the vinyl straight?

mrs maggot
16-03-2010, 05:52 PM
the fan is underneath the casing, and it causes a downdraft - which helps - well thats what i was told when i bought it, and i can feel it when its on, so i have never doubted what they told me

John G
16-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Thats an extractor fan to stop the insides overheating. It doesn't have any force at all to effect the way the vinyl goes through, just extracts the heat away from the parts inside.

mrs maggot
16-03-2010, 07:28 PM
yes i know that, but as the guy pointed out to me, it also helps to keep the vinyl running smoothly through

accdave
16-03-2010, 07:55 PM
the pinch rollers, will be fine, i normally lift them up, pull through at least a couple of inches of vinyl, shut the rollers, now roll a lot through, lift one of the pinch rollers and straighten the roll, then feed it back, sometimes it takes a couple of goes, but if the roll is not rolled straight - which can happen if you buy in 5 & 10mtrs - it works fine.

make sure you put the roll central to the cutter not off to one end, the cutters have a fan in the centre which pulls the vinyl towards it acting as another way of helping to hold the vinyl straight.

pop the cutters on the forum forsale bit first, im after another one :D

What mark do you line the edge of the vinyl up to ?

Do you have a stand or the desktop roller. I only have the desktop one and I think part of the problem is becasue the vinyl doesn't drop properly at the back.

mrs maggot
17-03-2010, 10:07 AM
i have a bit of plastic guttering, and i screwed it through the shelf my cutter sits on (the scres are domed so as not to scratch the vinyl) this keeps it pulling through straight - you could also use a cut down the centre cardboard tube - just beware of any sharp edges - perhaps run tape along the edge ? i also have run a peice of red insulating tape down the front of the cutter - top to bottom, which helps me line up the vinyl.

Stitch Up
17-03-2010, 11:35 AM
it also helps to keep the vinyl running smoothly through

The Graphtec plotter has a suction underneath the leading part of the vinyl - it sucks the vinyl down to the cutting bed.

John G
17-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I haven't seen a graphtec plotter in action but I can't understand where the suction would come from, if indeed it did have suction this would impead the vinyl which would defeat the point.

The fan under my plotter is definately a cooling fan, to get any suction at all you'd need something more powerful than a cooling fan. I've checked graphtec website and it doesn't say anything about suction - unless your talking about a flatbed plotter. Or is this a special function on the craft robo?

Cheers John

John G
17-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Just did a test on my plotter with a sheet of paper - there is smidge of suction. Tried it with a sheet of vinyl and it was barely noticable - wouldn't effect the way it tracks.

Maybe your plotters are better built and have stronger fans on them - and mine was built on a friday :D

Cheers John

bms
17-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Or is this a special function on the craft robo?
There's no suction (or cooling fan) on the Craft ROBO. It just pulls material through on the 2 rollers. Even on our large cutter there's no suction fan. As you say it would need to be very powerful to work and the rollers keep the material flat on the cutting base.