PDA

View Full Version : Magic Touch - anyone experimented with this?

AdamB
09-08-2012, 04:21 PM
I've had a few samples through with magic touch and I really like the look and feel of it. I know it's NOT NEW to the market but (like anything) I was wondering if it was specific printers that can only print on the papers or has anyone 'experimeted' with others?

socialgiraffe
09-08-2012, 04:32 PM
I had a job come in recently that was 1000 A4 heat transfers, I used Magic Touch TTC 3.1+ A4R and a HP Laserjet CP1025 A4 colour printer from PC World which cost £99.00. Not the one I was looking for as it was a bit cheap but it was the only one they had in stock on a Sunday and I need it desperately.

Glad it was the only one in stock as it is a great little machine and prints the transfer paper perfectly. Cartridges are £30.00 plus VAT (you have to haggle with PC World to get them at that price) and they last a decent amount of time.

For great results on MT papers it is always good to Heatpress your garment, then transfer, then heat press again. However when I did the bulk order I simply chucked the tee shirt down, threw the transfer on top and then pressed. 1000 garments took just under 2 days.

MT have some great papers there which work well.

AdamB
09-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Interesting - many thanks Simon, your input is greatly appreciated buddy :)

WorthDoingRight
09-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I stopped and watched a girl in the local 'gothic' market making shirts using the magic touch system. I then got to talking to her about the process. She used an OKI colour laser printer (I imagine the 610) and graphtec plotter for contour cutting and then pressed them onto dark garments for 5 secs only (I asked why only 5 secs and she said any longer and the colours change!) and they seemed to be attached firmly. I think she was using what she called OBM paper. I know the papers backing sheet said 'the magic touch'. I must admit that it looked to be a nice system. I know I would have liked the semi-auto press.

@socialgiraffe - many thanks for the information on the laser printer - I would like to buy a cheap laser printer and have a dabble so will add this model to my list of candidates.

socialgiraffe
09-08-2012, 06:03 PM
I have used their OBM paper but stopped doing so when I purchased a Versacamm as it was easier with that machine due to the print and cut process being one step on the same machine. That said, the OBM paper did seem to do the trick.

Have purchased some samples of the WOW paper from BMS recently as I need to do some football crests for a mate of mine. Am hoping that this paper has come a long way since I last used it as I seem to remember it was a bit of a pain last time.

Can't big up my laser printer enough. £99.00 and going strong. Have had the machine two months and has earned about 3k on transfer prints already :-)

One small downside is that it is only A4, but if all you are going to do is dabble for now then its perfect.

socialgiraffe
09-08-2012, 09:40 PM
By the way guys, if any of you would like me to print a couple of sheets then email me an image and I will print and post. Make sure you include your postal address!!!

Be warned that I do not colour correct or run any profiles, my customers do not partcularly care as long as its ok.

email address is simon@printpressonline.com

TMT website has the press settings, but just for info, I have one of those cheapo heat presses from BMS. Works really really well and I press for 25 seconds at 180 degress with medium to high pressure. The transfer sheet is a hot peel so make sure you have teflon hands.

Alternatively, TMT do send out sample sheets.

Email Carl Newbury cnewbury@themagictouch.co.uk and I am sure he will send you some sample sheets if you mention Simon from Soundscreen Limited.

Happy dabbling all!!!

Simon

WorthDoingRight
10-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Although the UK site has a submitable form to get a compatibility check for your printer, the American site actually has a nice browsable list of compatible printers. So if anyone wants to take a look it is at:

http://themagictouch.com/compatibility.html

smo
12-08-2012, 10:51 PM
We've been using Magic Touch papers and kit for well over 15 years and never had any problems. Our current range is only using their water slide papers but we've used all sorts of transfer papers in the past on t-shirts, mugs and other bits in the past without issue. Most of our stuff is done on an Oki laser with their papers.

logobear
12-08-2012, 11:20 PM
In december 2012 I will have used The Magic Touch for 20 years !
They are a superb company, awesome tec support, and their products really work. I can phone them during the working week, always get an answer, and always speak to a technical person who can tell me the inns and outs of printing on whatever quirky material I am being asked for today.
They carry great stock, and I get it next day. Price is not ebay low, but I want service, and get it from TMT
I suggest you go on one of their free training days, you can see their product range, and learn some tricks!

mrs maggot
13-08-2012, 12:49 PM
knowing them for a while (not as many years as logobear) i am sure that carl might be persuaded to run a day for DSF members IF enough people were genuinely interested