PDA

View Full Version : payment gateways

bigj2552
21-08-2012, 11:15 PM
will be using paypal premier on store but we are looking at another form of payment, just incase paypal goes tits up for whatever reason.

so far -
Nochex - £14.95 set up fee - no monthly fee
worldpay - bonkers set up fees :eek:
Ukash - just looking into this now
paypoint - does Ukash not own this as well ?

what else do you use guys other than paypal ?

mrs maggot
21-08-2012, 11:17 PM
never had an issue with paypal and people seem to trust it, did the google pay thing ever get off the ground ?? nochex is interesting might look into that again

bigj2552
21-08-2012, 11:21 PM
never had an issue with paypal and people seem to trust it, did the google pay thing ever get off the ground ?? nochex is interesting might look into that again

forgot about google checkout - looked at that as well but something didnt feel right about it...
have added Nochex since its only £14.95 set up fee or £50 for the merchant one...

paypal PRO - have you got it Mrs M......and is it worth it ?...we have paypal premier at the moment.

Charlie_
21-08-2012, 11:26 PM
forgot about google checkout - looked at that as well but something didnt feel right about it...
have added Nochex since its only £14.95 set up fee or £50 for the merchant one...

paypal PRO - have you got it Mrs M......and is it worth it ?...we have paypal premier at the moment.

Had nochex years ago still got about £30 tied up in it, but no one would useit. I have never had a problem with paypal been using it since 1999 without a hitch. I now have one of there debit cards, comes straight off pasypal no fees etc etc run by mastercard for them.

bigj2552
21-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Had nochex years ago still got about £30 tied up in it, but no one would useit. I have never had a problem with paypal been using it since 1999 without a hitch. I now have one of there debit cards, comes straight off pasypal no fees etc etc run by mastercard for them.

will try it for a while then check reports of how many sales i get with it - for £15 is better to have an alternative i would have thought ?

Charlie_
21-08-2012, 11:37 PM
will try it for a while then check reports of how many sales i get with it - for £15 is better to have an alternative i would have thought ?

Like i said i have used paypal since 1999 and in them days it was $ accounts only. cant fault it. since ebay bought it has improved. and cant complain at fees if you look at nochex and others fees lol.

bigj2552
21-08-2012, 11:40 PM
Like i said i have used paypal since 1999 and in them days it was $ accounts only. cant fault it. since ebay bought it has improved. and cant complain at fees if you look at nochex and others fees lol.

business or premier acc charlie ?....any differance ?

JSR
21-08-2012, 11:41 PM
We just use PayPal here. I, too, have their debit card - which makes it easier than having to move money out of PayPal before it can be used on sites that don't take PayPal (it also means we avoid the extra surcharge when buying from BMS using PayPal... :wink:). We haven't been asked for any other payment method other than direct credit card payment and the occasional cheque.

Charlie_
21-08-2012, 11:42 PM

Business if your in business why use a personal account

Charlie_
21-08-2012, 11:43 PM
We just use PayPal here. I, too, have their debit card - which makes it easier than having to move money out of PayPal before it can be used on sites that don't take PayPal (it also means we avoid the extra surcharge when buying from BMS using PayPal... :wink:). We haven't been asked for any other payment method other than direct credit card payment and the occasional cheque.

Yup had mine for over a year now, also got one of there credit cards that has become reduntant since the debit card lol.

bigj2552
21-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Business if your in business why use a personal account

not using personal acc - premier acc charlie

and where can i get the debit card from ?...it says its not available in my country ?????

"The PayPal Access Card is currently being offered exclusively to customers who have been invited to apply".

https://www.paypal-marketing.co.uk/accesscard/apply.htm

Charlie_
21-08-2012, 11:48 PM

Only ever had a business account with them, in fact im still on the .com not the .co.uk and have 2 balances one in $ and the other in £ but have paid in $,£, euros and chinese money straight out of it no problems and i acept all currencys on it

Charlie_
21-08-2012, 11:50 PM
in fact i cant see any ppoint in complicating payment options on a site to many option and people could well justy leave with out completing the sale ................

JSR
22-08-2012, 12:16 AM
This page tells you the difference: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/general/PayPalAccountTypes-outside

It seems that Premier is merely the Business equivalent of a Personal account for those users that are not businesses.

Charlie_
22-08-2012, 08:32 AM

and where can i get the debit card from ?...it says its not available in my country ?????

"The PayPal Access Card is currently being offered exclusively to customers who have been invited to apply".

I didnt apply they approached me, maybe you need a good amount of sales going through your account to get one?. I thought they was available to everyone?.

jennywren
22-08-2012, 08:57 AM
we use nochex and it more that pays it way for us

purpledragon
22-08-2012, 09:32 AM

I applied anyway without an invite and they gave me one , just ring them and see what they say

Andrew
22-08-2012, 09:45 AM
I hate using paypal as a consumer. Don't know if it's me doing something wrong but I don't find it flexible. If I make a purchase it makes me use the balance before the card kicks in. Processing purchases on business is then a pain with split payments. Problem is I rarely used paypal/ebay so just had one account with business and personal cards payment options on there. I've tried to split them but I cannot move either card as it is already in use on another account......... even after I have so called deleted them.

If I see a paypal sign I will look at alternative methods of payment or purchase. Sagepay seems a popular option these days but possibly expensive.

Charlie_
22-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I hate using paypal as a consumer. Don't know if it's me doing something wrong but I don't find it flexible. If I make a purchase it makes me use the balance before the card kicks in. Processing purchases on business is then a pain with split payments. Problem is I rarely used paypal/ebay so just had one account with business and personal cards payment options on there. I've tried to split them but I cannot move either card as it is already in use on another account......... even after I have so called deleted them.

If I see a paypal sign I will look at alternative methods of payment or purchase. Sagepay seems a popular option these days but possibly expensive.

use your card then as a non paypal member, you dont have to have an account with paypal to use it. They are after all just a card proccessing merchant just like visa or mastercard..........

JSR
22-08-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm the opposite. When visiting a new site, as a consumer I look for PayPal first. If it's not mentioned, I'm 99% likely to go and find another site that does take PayPal.

Andrew
22-08-2012, 11:05 AM
I have no doubts in it security etc, it's just the problems I mention for me. As Charlie says, you don't need to have an account but when I go down that route there is a limit to how much you can spend without varifying your card/account. Went to make a purchase this way the other day for £450 and it said I exceed my spending limit. Back onto the account where there is a balance. It will not let me make the purchase using the card only which is verified on this account. I now have to enter 2 different methods of payment for 1 purchase. Total pain. Why it can't let me choose to pay by card and not the balance I do not know..... can't find a way of doing it as assume this would be an obvious option.

JSR
22-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I have no doubts in it security etc, it's just the problems I mention for me. As Charlie says, you don't need to have an account but when I go down that route there is a limit to how much you can spend without varifying your card/account. Went to make a purchase this way the other day for £450 and it said I exceed my spending limit. Back onto the account where there is a balance. It will not let me make the purchase using the card only which is verified on this account. I now have to enter 2 different methods of payment for 1 purchase. Total pain. Why it can't let me choose to pay by card and not the balance I do not know..... can't find a way of doing it as assume this would be an obvious option.
I can't say I've come across this myself (but I can't recall spending that much in one transaction either), but it does sound like a pain, you're right.

I did once get an email saying I was nearing my "spending limit" (I think that's a yearly spending limit), and I just had to do a couple of verification things to lift it, but I'm not sure if that's the same as a single transaction limit. I'm Googling for more information on that now.

Charlie_
22-08-2012, 11:27 AM

I cant see what the problem is in using the account balance, it saves you having hastle to send it to bank account at a later date. I thought the limit without verification was 999.99 ?..

Andrew
22-08-2012, 11:51 AM
I cant see what the problem is in using the account balance, it saves you having hastle to send it to bank account at a later date. I thought the limit without verification was 999.99 ?..

When reconciling the bank at the end of the month sifting through purchases and payments then it just makes it a pain to allocate. Much neater to have a purchase invoice with the same amount being shown as paid on our bank statement.

Is 999.99 accumalative? Would have passed that.

I wouldn't mind if I can set-up a different account but my business card can't be registered anywhere else other than the existing one.

Open to suggestions as it annoys me no end.