PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Coldenhove papers?

fridayschild
04-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi All,

Doing my usual scount around for all things sub online and came across RevolutionTransfers.

They are selling a brand of sublimation papers called Coldenhove which appear to come from Holland. (revolutiontransfers are in the UK) and I wondered if anyone had tried them out with any success? (or failure!)

Thanks x

Earl Smith
04-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Cant comment on the papers but Ive used RevolutionTransfers for colour profiles, inks etc. Very helpful and professional people.
http://www.revolutiontransfers.co.uk/

pisquee
04-09-2012, 05:55 PM
We use Coldenhove's JetCol HS papers on the roll, and have no complaints.

fridayschild
04-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks Earl, thought I'd google for a review and found the Coldenhove Dutch website but couldn't find any mention of the sublimation paper on it, so still none the wiser.

Having a struggle getting hold of Texprint-R which was recommended to me for tshirts (hence looking for an alternative, like Coldenhove possibly) as it seems to be either out of stock or they want £8 to send one packet. I'm guessing it comes hand delivered on a silver platter for that price! :wink:

fridayschild
04-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Oh, hello Pisquee, sorry, overlapped you there, thanks for your input.

Stupid question, I know, but how do you use it with the roll, do you just cut off what you need as you go?

pisquee
04-09-2012, 06:08 PM
we use wide format printers, which use a roll feed, so the paper supplied to the printer is continuous, so you only use the amount of paper you need for a transfer, instead of a full sheet size, and you don't have to faff about with loading sheets etc, as the rolls do last a long time

bms
04-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks Earl, thought I'd google for a review and found the Coldenhove Dutch website but couldn't find any mention of the sublimation paper on it, so still none the wiser.

Having a struggle getting hold of Texprint-R which was recommended to me for tshirts (hence looking for an alternative, like Coldenhove possibly) as it seems to be either out of stock or they want £8 to send one packet. I'm guessing it comes hand delivered on a silver platter for that price! :wink:

We have a small quantity of the texprint-r in stock at the moment: http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/672/texprintr-a4-110-sheets.htm

JSR
05-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Oh, hello Pisquee, sorry, overlapped you there, thanks for your input.

Stupid question, I know, but how do you use it with the roll, do you just cut off what you need as you go?
Back in the day, Epson printers supported roll paper, too. My 1290S and R1800 both did, as did some of the A4 models. In their wisdom, Epson dropped this support with the likes of the 1400 and modern printers. I still have some 13" wide TexPrint rolls here but, these days, I have to cut them up to use them.

fridayschild
05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
We have a small quantity of the texprint-r in stock at the moment: http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/672/texprintr-a4-110-sheets.htm

Thanks Martin! You'd been out of stock every other time I looked so just nipped in quick and ordered some :smile:

fridayschild
05-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your explanation of the roll system Pisquee, I have emailed Revolution Transfers and they are kindly sending me a sample so it will be interesting to compare it with the stuff I have now ordered from BMS.

Thanks to everyone who answers my 'stupid' questions on here - I can't tell you how much it means to me that people put themselves out to help. THANK YOU

fridayschild
05-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Sadly Revolution Transfers have decided not to send me a sample after all:frown: apparently my printer is 'too small' for them and if I cut the paper it will 'curl up'. Oh well, pre cut stuff it is then.

WorthDoingRight
05-09-2012, 04:26 PM
If it curled up then a few secs under a press and it would be flat again lol - Do I smell 'B*ll Sh*t' I think so lol

fridayschild
06-09-2012, 09:56 AM
If it curled up then a few secs under a press and it would be flat again lol - Do I smell 'B*ll Sh*t' I think so lol

Well, I didn't wan't to say anything, but I thought there was a slight niff in the air....:wink:

JSR
06-09-2012, 12:48 PM
To be fair, they've probably had people buying it for small format printers in the past who haven't had the knowledge to flatten it before use and who've done nothing but complain that Revolution sold them a useless product.

I'm sure if you just place an order for a roll of paper, they're not going to turn you down. But if you ask for a free sample to try on a desktop printer, past experience probably has them err on the side of caution and decline.

It would be like one of us being asked for a free sample of a ceramic mug by a customer who wants to see if it'll bounce on concrete. We'd tell them not to bother. Doesn't mean we'd be talking BS.

WorthDoingRight
06-09-2012, 01:09 PM
It would be like one of us being asked for a free sample of a ceramic mug by a customer who wants to see if it'll bounce on concrete. We'd tell them not to bother. Doesn't mean we'd be talking BS.

No, it would be like one of us asking for a free mug sample to see if it withstood boiling water (e.g. was fit for a reasonable purpose).

Using your example it would be like asking for a sample of paper to see if it did not burn when lit with a match lol.

Well if a supplier is not willing to send a sample then a 'reasonable' reason explained is better than a 'catch all' reason that can be considered to be a tad whiffy.

JSR
06-09-2012, 01:17 PM
No, it would be like one of us asking for a free mug sample to see if it withstood boiling water (e.g. was fit for a reasonable purpose).
But this Coldenhove paper is only "fit for purpose" if used on a 16.5" or wider printer that supports roll paper. It's not designed for desktop printers any more than a mug is designed for bouncing on concrete. A mug could be made to bounce on concrete with bubble wrap and a strong box, just like roll paper can be used in a small sheet-fed printer by cutting, ironing, pressing, flattening and whatever else.

Using your example it would be like asking for a sample of paper to see if it did not burn when lit with a match lol.

Well if a supplier is not willing to send a sample then a 'reasonable' reason explained is better than a 'catch all' reason that can be considered to be a tad whiffy.
You may think it's a "tad whiffy". I think it's a responsible supplier that doesn't want to field support calls from someone wanting to use their product in a way that wasn't intended.

As I say, I'm sure they'll sell you a roll if you purchase one.

fridayschild
06-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Oops, sorry, did I open a can of worms instead of soup again? I really must read the labels:wink:

pisquee
06-09-2012, 02:23 PM
For the money you would save, I don't think it would be worth your time, cutting the paper off the roll, and flattening it enough to try and go through the sheet feed of a desktop printer.

JSR
06-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Oops, sorry, did I open a can of worms instead of soup again? I really must read the labels:wink:
Different people putting voice to different perspectives is a discussion. Nothing a "tad wiggly" about it... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

(Sorry, I'm going to use the word "tad" all the time now... :redface:)

WorthDoingRight
06-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Well as someone who has sublimated with a number of sublimation papers (and just for the hell of trying it, a number of normal papers) I cannot see how the size of the roll it comes on makes an iota of difference lol

However I will agree that there is no good reason to enquire about roll only paper if your interest is just to see how good it would be in sheet format. I must admit that feeding roll paper into a large format printer is an artform on its own.

Anyway the good thing with the forum here is that JSR and I can beg to differ on points of principal without resorting to tad wiggling lol :rolleyes:

JSR
06-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Well as someone who has sublimated with a number of sublimation papers (and just for the hell of trying it, a number of normal papers) I cannot see how the size of the roll it comes on makes an iota of difference lol
Strange as it may seem, I do actually agree. I have some TexPrint paper on rolls here that I used on my old Epson 1290S. I haven't been able to use it in roll form on the replacement 1400s because, in their wisdom, Epson chose not to support roll paper on the replacement model. When I say "support" I, of course, mean "supply two cheap looking bits of plastic that support the roll on the back of the printer". It's not like proper roll support on the larger machines, which is why it's odd that they didn't bother to just bundle them in with the 1400s. There was a time that Epson supported roll paper on A4 machines. They even supplied their own glossy paper in rolls down to as little as 4" wide (I still have some).

I do occasionally cut the TexPrint rolls down for use in the 1400s, when I'm printing something particularly large. With a fair amount of fiddling and encouragement, it does work. No end of times both my 1290S and 1400 have grabbed the paper slightly skewiff and crumpled it through the paper path. It happens, you slice it back and go for it again. However, how many newbie users out there wouldn't put the effort in to encouraging the printer to take it? How quickly would they go back to the supplier, complain 'til they're blue in the face for being sold a product that's "no good", leave plenty of negative feedback, and rant over every forum they could find that the supplier sells useless products?

We do seem to live in more of a "blame someone else" culture these days, with precious few of us left who are keen to just get stuck in and try different things out.

Anyway the good thing with the forum here is that JSR and I can beg to differ on points of principal without resorting to tad wiggling lol :rolleyes:
I'd agree with that ... just a tad, though. :wink:

pisquee
06-09-2012, 04:33 PM
At least the larger rolls of paper can be bought by anyone to use how they like, with no patent restrictions stopping people cutting it down to smaller sizes to use in A4 printers ... controlling the paper market like that would be lunacy! ;-)

fridayschild
06-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I'll be completely honest here, when I first requested a sample - and it does say you can on their website - I didn't even notice that it was only rolls (alert as ever, lol :redface:) however, I would have liked to try it and see for myself whether I thought the quality was worth the effort. Alas it was not to be. :frown:

Oh and JSR, pack it in, it's becoming a tad annoying! :wink: