PDA

View Full Version : mug press attachment

soulclaimed
08-09-2012, 09:22 PM
My mug press attachment for my heat press (the one where there is a white material covering a cable that plugs into the control box of the main heat press) has stopped heating up i used it once and it was fine but now it doesnt work, my partner was cleaning today and i believe she may have moved the mug press and i have noticed that there is a red wire loose under the white cover of the cable but cannot find where this goes, can somebody help me please I just got the thing.

thanks

Tony

bms
08-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Can you upload a photo so we can see what this is?

pisquee
08-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Is it a wire loose (pulled out/snapped from its solder) from inside the actual blanket then this may be a tricky fix, if it is at the end of the cable where it plugs into the controller unit, then it would be quite an easy solder job.
If the former, then it is, I suppose worth a go at fixing as it is already broken, and so can't get any worse, but you would have to cut into the blanket to find where to resolder/recrimp the wire, and then find a way of making it safe again, as mains level (240V) goes through those wires, so you don't want them exposed in any way.
If this sounds too much, it is probably best (safest and quickest) to buy a replacement blanket, if available, for your press.

soulclaimed
08-09-2012, 11:24 PM
its the end of the connector that goes into the heat press like a black plug with 3 holes in, the cable that goes into it has a red coated wire that is not connected to anything

Charlie_
09-09-2012, 09:52 AM
if you dont feel confident take it to a local electrician, that way you will know the repair is safe...............

its the end of the connector that goes into the heat press like a black plug with 3 holes in, the cable that goes into it has a red coated wire that is not connected to anything

bms
09-09-2012, 09:59 AM

Sounds like a wire has been pulled out from the connector. This needs resoldering and the black connector will have to be striped down to get to the soldering place. I think there are a couple of very small screws that need removing and then the connector will open up. You'll probably see which part has come loose once you're inside the connector. A little fiddly but straightforward if you have a small soldering iron and know what you're doing. If in doubt though use an electrician as you don't want to cause any harm to yourself or whoever uses this if you solder the wrong part and send 240v through the heat blanket incorrectly.

Charlie_
09-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Totally agree with Martin there, as I have seen some horrific electrocutions when I worked with electricity years ago.............

Sounds like a wire has been pulled out from the connector. This needs resoldering and the black connector will have to be striped down to get to the soldering place. I think there are a couple of very small screws that need removing and then the connector will open up. You'll probably see which part has come loose once you're inside the connector. A little fiddly but straightforward if you have a small soldering iron and know what you're doing. If in doubt though use an electrician as you don't want to cause any harm to yourself or whoever uses this if you solder the wrong part and send 240v through the heat blanket incorrectly.

Jersue
09-09-2012, 01:37 PM
It is still under Guarantee? You said you have only used it once?

bms
09-09-2012, 01:53 PM
It is still under Guarantee? You said you have only used it once?
Guarantees don't normally extend to damage which it sounds like here. Might be worth a try though.

Charlie_
09-09-2012, 01:55 PM
It does sound like the plugs been pulled out by the lead rather than by the plug... Like Martin said worth a try.............

Guarantees don't normally extend to damage which it sounds like here. Might be worth a try though.

soulclaimed
09-09-2012, 01:57 PM
no as i am a grown up an have spent alot of my hard earned money on this i have not pulled it by the lead its supposed to have a warranty so will wait for a response from the seller

Charlie_
09-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Well in your original post you did say your other half may have moved it during cleaning. She may have inadvertently pulled it?.......

no as i am a grown up an have spent alot of my hard earned money on this i have not pulled it by the lead its supposed to have a warranty so will wait for a response from the seller

WorthDoingRight
09-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Well if it is a cheaper mug press that does not have a low holding temperature setting then it is also a possibility that it may have simply burnt out - even if only used once. I am not sure but a number of heat presses use 4 wires to the pads however some only use 3. I took my controller unit apart and the wireing was poor to say the least. Also worth checking that if your controller comes with a resetable fuse in the side whether this has tripped as if it has the unit will often still light up but the blanket wont heat. Mine used to trip regularly till I replaced it with a quality version.

soulclaimed
10-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Shame someone can't open theire connector and show me where the red wire goes lol i wouldn't ask anyone to do it in case they break there's

Paul
10-09-2012, 07:23 PM
i hope it helps...

red one is connected to number 1 on my attachment.

PAul

http://www.mediafire.com/conv/7df8393d2517aecb9ad9c6dc5817747518c65af061636ecc45 401316c18d2c266g.jpg

soulclaimed
10-09-2012, 07:34 PM
thank you thats very kind of you

soulclaimed
12-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Mud press attachment 2 is now broken could anyone tell me which wire goes to which number please I can get them resoldered but no idea what wire goes where' thanks