PDA

View Full Version : need help with profiles and software

chongsta
18-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi all,

I bought my Epson 1290 and Artainium inks all second hand, but i didnt get any software with the setup. Upto now ive been using Adobe Photoshop for doing the designs and stuff, then simply flipping the image and printing from the Epson software.

I guess ive just got lucky on the mugs that I have done so far from using incorrect software and profiles but now Ive got photographers asking for their portrait work to go onto mugs and Im just not getting correct skin tones. I know that it can be a bit hit n miss but when I found out that im trying to drive my car with the wrong engine and wheels on it, it all makes sense now!

Im using Windows Vista and the artainium site has Powerdriver IQ for the latest printers but not for Vista for the epson 1290. Im not too hot on the idea of formatting the PC to XP just for sublimation but I do have a spare PC that I could use, it'll just take ages to setup etc because its in storage and what not.

When i bought the epson and the refill cart i have them set as B,C,LC,M,LM,Y is this correct? saying that, im not using the correct software, so the epson is just printing as if it were using epson inks. I wasnt aware that sub-dye needed its own RIP software. Is there a way I can get the proper software and profiles for sub-dye?

I seriously need to sort this now because the work is starting to come in and I cant leave it go!

Any help is greatly apprciated here. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheers
Dave
(who has no hair left to pull out!)

bms
18-03-2010, 09:58 PM
pm me your email address and I'll have a look on some old CD's for the 1290 ICC profile and set up details. I need to do this for someone else using another Epson printer and I'll try to forward this tomorrow afternoon. If you haven't heard from me by 4pm then please email / phone me to remind me - year end next week so my mind keeps being side tracked...

TonyM
19-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi all

Does the icc profile relate to the ink as well as the printer?
IE a different ICC profile for Artanium and Rotech?
This is probably a daft question, but once the profile is installed is it then automatic or do you have to select that profile in the printer properties? What would it be called?

Tony

purpledragon
21-03-2010, 12:36 PM
You will need to use the correct profile to the correct ink
if you are using photoshop for example you will need to change the profile on each image/design you wish to print, This is done by going into mode then convert to profile the profile should be called something like artanium 1400 (for an epson 1400 printer)
Brett

TonyM
21-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi Brett thanks

I have yet to do my first mug. Slow I know but I have had problems.

I have added the profile according to the instructions I was given with the ink.

I had instructions for. photodhop, corel and the epson 1400.

As I am using an epson 1400 and corel I followed the instrucyions for both of these.

I did a mock picture and went to print but got a conflict warning. It told me to choose which one I wanted and gave instruction to remove the custom changes to the printer. I havent done so yet.

Do I only need the iCC protile on either the corel OR rhe printer but not both?
Also I actually much prefer to use publisher for this kind of thig as I have been using it for years, wheras corel is still a bit new to me. Can I use publisher to edit and then print using the custom settings o the printer alone, or must I use Corel and the ICC settings I have added to that? I certainaly isnt keen on me using both and warns of inconsistent results. I do have an option to not show this message again ans that leads me to beleive it is probably not all that bad?

PS I have my printer working on normal inks at the moment as I had a very bad blockage which was my main problem re earlier posts. I have been doing family photos etc to give it a good workout and it seems to be running very nice now.
I just need to be sure about this profile thing before I change the cartridges and finally produce a cup. Hopefully later today.
Thank you so much to all those who have helped/ I am not really thick honest :oops: I just cannot afford to make any more mistakes. Everyone on here has been a diamond and I am very grateful.
Watch this space for confirmation of a mug. No not me a ceramic one. :lol:
Tony

Kaz
21-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Good luck withe your first mug :D

I managed my first "proper" one yesterday aswell, using the correct paper instead of the crappy cheap stuff I bought that was from China.

TonyM
21-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Hi Kaz,
I am almost afraid to try :lol:

I bought my paper and a few supplies from Martin and am ultra confident on that part.

I am just awaiting a reply regarding the ICC profilles.
As I said I have customised the printer settings AND the software and I get a conflict message.
I actually want to work in Publisher as I have used it a lot. I am not sure if I need to add a profile there?
Whay happens if something is wrong? Are the colours a bit strange?

How was your first Mug? I am going to have mine framed. I had some delivered and one of the handles is broken so that will be my first. I am going to do my grandaughter with the cheekiest grin you can imagine. I will probably keep them all and not sell any at all :oops: :shock: :lol:

Good luck with your future mugs Kaz.

Tony

bms
21-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi Tony,

You can't use publisher for printing in sublimation. It needs to be Corel or Photoshop which are the main ones to use. What message do you get with Corel? I don't use Corel myself for sublimation printing, but if you can post the conflict message then I'm sure someone will be able to offer advice.

Have you got your Epson 1400 set up as per the instructions, i.e. from the Printing Preferences of this printer and do you have Corel Draw set up as per those instructions as well? You need to set up both the printer and the software package. If this isn't done properly then your colours will be slightly different.

Kaz
21-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi Tony

The first ever mug I made was a photo mug, and the skin tones were all wrong, but that's because I was using the wrong profile on the printer, and the cheap chinese paper :(

Now that I've got the sawgrass profile on, and the correct paper, I will try again, the mug I made yesterday was of a horse's head form a photograph, and I think it's turned out really well, just need to master my photography skills now, and remember not to do it with the sun streaming through the patio doors :lol:

I've got the same image mirrored on the other side of the mug, and the space in the middle will have a Deno Defenders name on.

Not bad for a first attempt :)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q90/kazs_2006/Deno/DSC00207.jpg

JSR
22-03-2010, 01:06 AM
You can't use publisher for printing in sublimation. It needs to be Corel or Photoshop which are the main ones to use.
I'm hate to contradict but, actually, you can.

Using ICC profiles with the likes of Corel and Photoshop enables you to "soft-proof" (if the rest of your system is profiled correctly) but you can use almost any software to print.

The profile just needs to be used somewhere in the chain. You either use it with the ICC-aware software (Corel, Photoshop, etc) and turn it off in Printer driver Properties; or you use software that isn't ICC-aware (Publisher, etc) and turn it on in the Printer driver Properties.

Just don't turn it on in both the ICC-aware software and the Printer driver Properties at the same time - otherwise you get double-profiling and strange results.

If your software is not ICC-aware (such as with Publisher), you simply set up Printer driver Properties to "ICM", select your ICM Mode, pick your Intent (Perceptual) and your Printer Profile from the drop-down box (Artanium).

I normally print with the ICC-aware Qimage (cheaper than Corel/Photoshop) but I occasionally print using the non-ICC aware portable app Faststone Image Viewer. The former uses the profile, the latter lets the printer use the profile. The results from both are them same (I just prefer Qimage because it has more powerful quality algorithms, but FastStone is faster).

bms
22-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Then, corrected I stand JSR :oops:
Sawgrass don't supply any instructions for printing with Publisher, so it isn't an officially supported software package and we couldn't offer any further advice/ problem solving with packages other than PhotoShop or Corel Draw. But take the point that there are work arounds!

JSR
22-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Then, corrected I stand JSR :oops:
Sawgrass don't supply any instructions for printing with Publisher, so it isn't an officially supported software package and we couldn't offer any further advice/ problem solving with packages other than PhotoShop or Corel Draw. But take the point that there are work arounds!
I've always found it amusing that Sawgrass only provide instructions for "expensive" software and not any of the cheaper alternatives and then they don't point out the main advantage of this type of software is the ability to soft-proof.

For anyone who's lost their supplied instructions, documents can be found at http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/v.php?pg=579, although just beware that their "Epson Driver Configurations" instructions are for ICC-aware apps (i.e. you must also use their "Graphics Software Printing Instructions", too). They don't provide any instructions for non-ICC aware apps (which is a bit sad because one instruction sheet would suit all non-ICC apps).

I would recommend to everyone to read up on profiles and rendering intents in order to get the best out of your system. Sawgrass' instructions are a good starting point, but there's little in the instructions to explain what the settings do. The more you learn, the better your chances of correcting and adjusting the printer and your software when the time comes.

TonyM
22-03-2010, 01:51 PM
bms wrote:
You can't use publisher for printing in sublimation. It needs to be Corel or Photoshop which are the main ones to use.
I'm hate to contradict but, actually, you can.

Oh I hope so. I have downloaded both Corel and PS o demo and was going to see which I prefered and then purchase it. I already have publisher and use it all the time

Using ICC profiles with the likes of Corel and Photoshop enables you to "soft-proof" (if the rest of your system is profiled correctly) but you can use almost any software to print.

The profile just needs to be used somewhere in the chain. You either use it with the ICC-aware software (Corel, Photoshop, etc) and turn it off in Printer driver Properties; or you use software that isn't ICC-aware (Publisher, etc) and turn it on in the Printer driver Properties.

Just don't turn it on in both the ICC-aware software and the Printer driver Properties at the same time - otherwise you get double-profiling and strange results.
That was the kid of message I was getting. It was mentioning double profiling and something about scripts.

If your software is not ICC-aware (such as with Publisher), you simply set up Printer driver Properties to "ICM", select your ICM Mode, pick your Intent (Perceptual) and your Printer Profile from the drop-down box (Artanium).
I will have a look at this later as I am just on a dinner break now. So basically I just need to set up my printer epson 1400 and I will be ok with my preferred Publisher? Not sure what is meant by intent or if my drop box has has Artanium. My inks are actually Rotech I was mistaken when I first thought they were Artanium

I normally print with the ICC-aware Qimage (cheaper than Corel/Photoshop) but I occasionally print using the non-ICC aware portable app Faststone Image Viewer. The former uses the profile, the latter lets the printer use the profile. The results from both are them same (I just prefer Qimage because it has more powerful quality algorithms, but FastStone is faster).
I will let you know how I get on later.

Thanks

JSR
22-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I will have a look at this later as I am just on a dinner break now. So basically I just need to set up my printer epson 1400 and I will be ok with my preferred Publisher? Not sure what is meant by intent or if my drop box has has Artanium. My inks are actually Rotech I was mistaken when I first thought they were Artanium
I can't specifically say for Rotech because I've never used it but, if it helps, the following image shows my settings for when I'm using non-ICC aware apps:

http://www.mugsandgifts.co.uk/offsite/non-icc-aware-settings.gif

I use these settings when printing from non-ICC aware apps like FastStone Viewer and Serif PagePlus. (PagePlus does have rudimentary ICC-aware options but I turn them off.)

Hope this helps.

TonyM
22-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi JSR
Unfortunatley I cannot change the printer profile without having the show all profiles box checked (I only get Epson)
I can only check the box if I have ICM mode as Driver ICM basic. If I have it on host as your example I do not get the option to show all profiles and therefore only Epson in the printer profile.
I can change the input value to Rotech also but have left it as it came up sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
I have copied the rest of your settings. I am running windoes 7. Would this make a difference?
Should I change the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 to Rotech also?
Do you think I am on the right track.
Finally. Do I need to actually print from publisher? I was thinking of saving the design as a high dpi TIFF in a folder and printing using the attached properties.
Thanks
Tony

JSR
23-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Hi JSR
Unfortunatley I cannot change the printer profile without having the show all profiles box checked (I only get Epson)
I can only check the box if I have ICM mode as Driver ICM basic. If I have it on host as your example I do not get the option to show all profiles and therefore only Epson in the printer profile.
"Driver ICM Basic" should be okay. (I've not tried it but, if it does what I think it does, it should be okay.)

I can change the input value to Rotech also but have left it as it came up sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
The input profile is generally the profile of the image you're printing. If the image was scanned with a particular scanner or created in an app and had a non-standard profile assigned, you would select the correct profile here. Most common digital cameras and scanners don't have a specific profile and work to RGB anyway. If all you're doing is printing an image from one of these sources then sRGB should do.

I have copied the rest of your settings. I am running windoes 7. Would this make a difference?
I don't have Windows 7. It's probably more ICC-aware than my Windows XP, and the printer drivers likewise, so expect a bit of trial and error. Once you work it out, you'll be fine. Just note down what settings you use for the future.

Should I change the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 to Rotech also?
No.

Do you think I am on the right track.
Yes.

Finally. Do I need to actually print from publisher? I was thinking of saving the design as a high dpi TIFF in a folder and printing using the attached properties.
Using the method we're working on here means you can print from any non-ICC aware app that you wish - even direct from within Windows. Normally, however, you'll want to use some kind of software to size/crop the image before printing.

Hope this helps.

chongsta
26-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Just to throw a spanner in...

sRGB does give a brighter output pre-print on your monitor. You're not using photoshop so you wouldnt notice this but it might slightly affect the final print. You could also try the normal RGB profile if its available. its all about experimenting anyway.

It took me ages to get decent results with CMYK on a large format printer and i thought my knowledge would carry over to a desktop situation for sub-dye.....oh how wrong was I? Im straight back to the first chapter of printing lol - but in RGB now.

Good luck though, great advice given above, ive taken some of it in as well.

Cheers
dave.