PDA

View Full Version : Large press

COMA
17-09-2012, 07:06 AM
Hi,
I have always see printed tshirts, polo, etc. so I was wandering how one can achieve this. I may need to print graphics with a plotter ( with sublimation inks in) that are larger than the t-shirt and then press into a BIG heat press?
I hope is all clear :D

Paul
17-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Full print they are called i think. And yes. You print on large format printer that prints on paper that is on roll. Then just press it to your shirt on big heat press.
But decent prints are possible with only small format printers. All you need is some imagination and thinking out of the box ;-)

purpledragon
17-09-2012, 10:00 AM
good point this there are major manufacturers of dye subbed clothing which is mass produced im sure they wouldnt be printing this onto paper then onto the garment not if its mass produced , ive often wondered myself about the process used i believe football kits are often dye subbed nowadays though someone may correct me on this

pisquee
17-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Yes, large format printers and large format presses are used (sometimes flat bed press, sometimes roller) And for really big runs, the fabric is printed by the roll first before it gets cut and sewn into the garment.
Some large format sublimation inks (Inktec's for instance) are formulated so they can be printed directly to the textile bypassing using transfer paper, this is why they named them "Direct Transfer Ink" as it can be used directly or using transfer papers. Instructions for the direct method are on their website if you're interested in the different process.

WorthDoingRight
17-09-2012, 11:05 AM
But decent prints are possible with only small format printers.

Why are decent prints only possible with small format printers? I would be interested to know what this comment is based upon?

Is it due to the transfer paper, is it due to the inks, is it due to the poor quality of print, or is it something else?

Paul
17-09-2012, 12:28 PM
I worded it wron. It should be aslo descent print are possible on small printers too.

socialgiraffe
17-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Football shirts are pressed before they are made into shirts for the larger teams. Saw the whole process in Ireland once for the Liverpool kit.

COMA
17-09-2012, 12:49 PM
So the steps are : print, press and sew?
for me the tricky part to afford is to press the print. :(

socialgiraffe
17-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Thats what I saw.

It all depends on what you actually want to do and how many. If you are talking about small runs of 100 or so, then I would suggest a large format printer, a very large heat press and then purchase the garments in.

If you are talking thousands then an appearance on Dragons Den maybe the answer :-)

COMA
17-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm in for very small runs, but as far as the printer is not a problem ( if I can set up my HP Z2100 24" with sublimation inks) i can not say the same for the printer. I don't know where to find one, the prices, etc. All I have found so far are VERY big industrial press that are out of my $€£

socialgiraffe
17-09-2012, 03:18 PM
I assume you mean heat press that you can not find, if so I think Sunfly in China sell a reasonably priced one. Other members may know of suppliers in this country though.

WorthDoingRight
17-09-2012, 03:46 PM
I worded it wron. It should be aslo descent print are possible on small printers too.

Thanks for clearing that up you had me worried for a minute lol

COMA
17-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Full print they are called i think. And yes. You print on large format printer that prints on paper that is on roll. Then just press it to your shirt on big heat press.
But decent prints are possible with only small format printers. All you need is some imagination and thinking out of the box ;-)

Uhm...maybe i'm a bit in lack of imagination when you have to cover an area of 60X50cm with a continous graphic. Let's imagine we have a pictoure of a dog that must cover all the tshirt , how can I sublimate it without a large printer and a big heat press? can you help me out? :P

GoldRapt
17-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi,
I have always see printed tshirts, polo, etc. so I was wandering how one can achieve this. I may need to print graphics with a plotter ( with sublimation inks in) that are larger than the t-shirt and then press into a BIG heat press?
I hope is all clear :D

You have a screen print machine, why don't you print oversize with that?

COMA
17-09-2012, 08:37 PM
it's just a matter of costs and time. when a customer "want a tshirt with a picture of his baby that covers all the shirt", just 1 tshirt i have to decide if i need to sublimate it ( 10 min. maybe ) or to take the graphic, do all the separations, registrations on the press, etc. for a single tshirt is not worth the job, plus, how much the customer have to pay for it?
best solution is a DTG print or the sublimation, no?

bms
17-09-2012, 08:46 PM
it's just a matter of costs and time. when a customer "want a tshirt with a picture of his baby that covers all the shirt", just 1 tshirt i have to decide if i need to sublimate it ( 10 min. maybe ) or to take the graphic, do all the separations, registrations on the press, etc. for a single tshirt is not worth the job, plus, how much the customer have to pay for it?
best solution is a DTG print or the sublimation, no?

I think you'll probably eventually decide that if a customer wants "a tshirt with a picture that covers all the shirt" then you'll quickly learn to say that isn't possible, or you'll be charging such very high price at which point the customer will say "no thanks". How many times have you seen a t-shirt printed with the picture of a baby that covers the whole of the shirt - probably never and why do you think that's the case?

GoldRapt
17-09-2012, 09:51 PM
DTG sounds interesting and I know that john at StichUp is a big guy in that field, but one of those machines cost £10k or something so maybe a one colour monochrome of that baby might work.

jennywren
17-09-2012, 09:56 PM
So the steps are : print, press and sew?
for me the tricky part to afford is to press the print. :(
For me it would be the sewing lol

COMA
17-09-2012, 10:06 PM
For me it would be the sewing lol
I did not even consider sewing by myself :P

COMA
17-09-2012, 10:13 PM
I think you'll probably eventually decide that if a customer wants "a tshirt with a picture that covers all the shirt" then you'll quickly learn to say that isn't possible, or you'll be charging such very high price at which point the customer will say "no thanks". How many times have you seen a t-shirt printed with the picture of a baby that covers the whole of the shirt - probably never and why do you think that's the case?

Well, This morning a lady asked me to do exactly that, for the first birthday of the child. As you suggested, I explained to the lady that the costs would be very high with my current equipment, even if the end result would be of good quality, so she opted for the classic t-shirt with teddy bears and text...

bms
17-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Well, This morning a lady asked me to do exactly that, for the first birthday of the child. As you suggested, I explained to the lady that the costs would be very high with my current equipment, even if the end result would be of good quality, so she opted for the classic t-shirt with teddy bears and text...

I stand corrected then :) If you could have done a full size tshirt then the I would have expected, with low volume runs and very high machine costs, the price of the t-shirt would be beyond the reach of most people that asked for this to be done.

jennywren
17-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I did not even consider sewing by myself :P
Sorry I was joking. I do the biggest hem stitch ever, just to get it done quicker

socialgiraffe
18-09-2012, 12:02 AM
I have had a DTG printer and threw the dam thing away, simply could not get on with it. Having said that they have come a long way and I do think that eventually they will be up to speed. But right now, white ink ones are going to set you back 10k plus and I have a feeling that the total cost of the ink etc is more expensive (someone will correct me if I am wrong).

Also, you can not print all over on a tee shirt using a DTG. They have platens similar to those of the general heat presses so are restricted by size also.