PDA

View Full Version : Stopping my forum page from jumping up and down

daviddeer
17-09-2012, 09:43 PM
How do I prevent the forum page from jumping up and down every time the membership banner ad loads and reloads???
It's doing my eyes in !

Justin
17-09-2012, 09:47 PM
This has been discussed a couple of times recently. Are you using an adblock or similar?

jennywren
17-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Some times nodding in rhythm helps nod
nod
nod
typing a bugger at times

logobear
18-09-2012, 12:04 AM
I have it too, - only started about a week or two ago .....

bigj2552
18-09-2012, 12:11 AM
I have it too, - only started about a week or two ago .....

did you not try what i suggested logo ????

Charlie_
18-09-2012, 07:58 AM
no problems here on firefox............

daviddeer
18-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Only happens on Firefox. I have ad-block plus disabled. The banner ad resizes and causes the page to jump It seems to be a problem with the rendering of the JavaScript element so I will play around with java to see if I can cure it. Shows OK on IE8.

Tried nodding now, I have neck ache too. Going to try viewing on a pogo stick.

Problem solved now updated Java and ABP.

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Mine does this in Firefox and it's very annoying, making longer posts very hard to read as I keep losing my place.

I use Adblock and don't have any problems on other forums

Mark

newsgroupmonkey
02-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Does it for me too :confused:

Justin
02-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Have you both updated as mentioned above?

Are the other forums vBulletin based that appear to work ok?

mrs maggot
02-01-2013, 12:22 PM
just reinstalling java here see if it finally stops grrrr

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Java updated and Adblock is regularly updated - no difference.

The forums I go on use a variety of software. I think this is the only one I regularly go on that uses vBulletin.

Mark

Justin
02-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Have you read this thread.....

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?5247-forum-jumping-about&highlight=jumping

Please let me know what point you are jumping at. This is definitely a local issue on the PC/software but we can sort it :-)

mrs maggot
02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
it jumps when reading any posts, like now when i am trying to reply the page jumps up and down, everytime the banner changes, so reinstalling/updating things has had no effect, i use quite a few of these boards to and this is the only one that does it, started a couple of weeks ago

Justin
02-01-2013, 02:31 PM
I've spent a long time looking into this following the previous thread and as then, I've not made any updates to the banner system in the last few weeks that could have caused this.

Is it possible your software has auto updated?

Laura, are you also using Firefox and an Ad-Blocker?

Justin
02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm experimenting with Firefox and Adblock Plus to see if I can recreate the problem but it may well be down to software upgrades.........

edit: I've got to jump a few lines, this is becuase this particular software as installed only blocks some ads.....

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Same here as Laura - jumps on any post.

Has been doing it for ages.

Ad-Blocker is v2.2.1 and Firefox is v17.0.1

Mark

Justin
02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Did you read post #13 above Mark?

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 02:51 PM
I've just added an exception for dyesubforum.co.uk but it's made no difference.

What's causing the jumping is the top banner - it goes from "DSF Membership Scheme Now Available" to nothing and then back to "DSF Membership..."

Mark

Justin
02-01-2013, 02:53 PM
That's right, it's not blocking that one ad, not sure why you'd want to but can you not tell the software to block this as well?

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 02:54 PM
I added the exception for dyesubforum.co.uk - wouldn't that cover the whole site?

I don't mind having banner ads on sites like this. I use Ad Block mainly to stop irrelevant ads on other sites.

Mark

Justin
02-01-2013, 02:56 PM
You tel me! lol, I don't get these issues as I don't see the need to block the ads ;-)

The banner ads all run through the same section so there's no obvious reason why it only blocks certain ones.

Surely the exception means that everything is blocked EXCEPT DSF?

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 02:58 PM
The exception means "disable adblock on dyesubforums.co.uk" so it should show all ads.

Mark

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Ahah it seems ok now. Must've taken a while to kick in.

No idea why it would block all ads but the DSF Membership one though.

Problem solved for me :)

Mark

Justin
02-01-2013, 02:59 PM
So do you want the ads displayed or not? I'm looking into stopping the page jumping whilst ads blocked but if you want to see them that's different!

Justin
02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
OK, so Mark is happy? ;-) Laura....are you looking at blocking all ads?

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 03:03 PM
I don't particularly want to see them but they don't bother me on a site like this that is useful to me. They're fairly unobtrusive.

I also have to have an exception on another forum I use - on that one you get penalised for blocking ads.

Mark

Justin
02-01-2013, 03:04 PM
I also have to have an exception on another forum I use - on that one you get penalised for blocking ads.

Mark

I can do that if it helps ;-)

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 03:07 PM
OK, so Mark is happy? ;-) Laura....are you looking at blocking all ads?

Mark is happy :)

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 03:08 PM
I can do that if it helps ;-)

I'm showing ads on here now so .... :)

Justin
02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
I won't charge you extra for them Mark :-)

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Excellent - I like a bargain :)

Mark

logobear
02-01-2013, 03:24 PM
I have this issue with Chrome.
It seems to be most annoying when there is only 1 ad - today for DSF membership, - it occupies a couple of cm verticle space, then dissapears so the whole forum thread jumps up to fill the space, then about 10seconds later the DSF ad reappears, so the whole forum jumps back down again.
I do run AdBlock in chrome, and perhaps it is blocking all banner ads except the DSF membership one ?
I now spend less time on the forum because it is a headache inducing pita

Justin
02-01-2013, 03:29 PM
As I said before....this issue can be resolved. The banner is just one on a list and as such shouldn't behave any differently....I am still looking at this, now I know you have a problem on Chrome I will look further.

Justin
02-01-2013, 03:30 PM
.....today for DSF membership.....

So does this differ from day to day?

mrs maggot
02-01-2013, 03:51 PM
aaah, at the moment it jumps when the DSF membership scheme click this banner for details moves on and off the top of this page, and others, and its not annoying at all, in the slightest,

mgibbs
02-01-2013, 03:55 PM
aaah, at the moment it jumps when the DSF membership scheme click this banner for details moves on and off the top of this page, and others, and its not annoying at all, in the slightest,

Is your nose growing? :)

logobear
02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Justin, as I recall it seems to happen all the time, but it did only 'start' a month or so ago, when I first mentioned it ....

mrs maggot
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
jump, jump jump

Paul
02-01-2013, 08:33 PM
to those who got chrome and adblock installed.
If its still jumping up and down you dont have enough blocked. click block the ad and slide the slider more. this will prevent of jumping and showing ANY banners in banner space.

mrs maggot
03-01-2013, 12:14 PM
justin why cant the banner just stay at the top of the page why does it have to go on and off ??

Justin
03-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Because its a rotating banner system, it doesn't move it just changes the banner to an identical shape, as Paul has suggested, it sounds like your blocking system is being selective.

mrs maggot
03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
ok, when i view this page now, at the top under this topic heading there is your banner, then it dissapears, and its replaced with nothing, hence it jumps, before it changed from one banner to another and one of the banners was bigger than the other, now because if you like its one banner flashing on and off, it jumps, i use firefox quite happily for everyother forum justin, and this one normally, but since you have had only the one banner on/off/on/off it jumps - and i am not the only one, so please humour me and others and see if you can stop your banner from doing this on your (our paid for) site

Paul
03-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Laura. Ther is not empty space! Empty space is the banner that wa blocked by your browser. Unblock it and then you see it. Or go to settings and block it completly. This is nothing to do with justin or forum. This is only to do with the settings in your browser.

mrs maggot
03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
ok Paul, let me explain again for you very slowly, i see the banner, then the banner goes, then the banner is back, then the banner goes, i dont have to unblock anything to see it, - UPDATE: now the listawood banner is back on, so when justins first banner goes, the listawood one appears this was not happening before so the page was jumping, just like it did months ago, when the wrong size banner went up. Paul, do try to read a reply first !! like i said i am on lots of other forums with and without banners and this does not happen on them, and only happened on here to a lot of us a few weeks ago, but now the listawood banner is on, there are now two banners so instead of offnothing/onDSF/offnothing/onDSF we get onDSF/onlistawood/onDSF/onlistawood

Paul
03-01-2013, 04:29 PM
no need to finger point Laura! I do read replies.
So if new banner of listawood appeard forum is stil jumping up and down?? i tried on 3 browsers and on none of them forum is jumping.
video 1 is showing ads blocking feature ON:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI9Ri_dROqo

Paul
03-01-2013, 04:48 PM
and video 2 is showing ads blocking feature OFF in browser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh9z3yPXgGk

mrs maggot
03-01-2013, 05:06 PM
no paul as i said, since the listawood banner has been showing it nolonger jumps, the problem has gone away for me, now that both banners are showing - i have my adblock showing as on my firefox and it has always shown the banner adverts, and the only times they have jumped was a while ago when the wrong size banner was loaded and recently when only one banner was showing the DSF membership scheme

Paul
03-01-2013, 05:12 PM
no paul as i said, since the listawood banner has been showing it nolonger jumps,
this is coz Justin changed the advert code and your adblock dont know it any more :)
But once again... one day it may be picked up by your adblock and this can happen again. so best to do is to assign www.dyesubforum.co.uk (http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk) as a safe domain or block it completely...

Justin
03-01-2013, 05:14 PM
I will respond to this with the level of etiquette I would expect members to speak to both moderators and myself.

We've spent a lot of time looking at this for you and at the end of the day you're trying to block content placed by myself and paid for by Suppliers. This is entirely your own choice and I/we have done our best to help you resolve the issue that is being caused by the ad Block software that you have installed. There are no issues with either the forum or the banner rotation system. There have been no updates to actual banners since the last banner (Listawood) was added some time ago so there are no bank spaces, nor are any of the banners different sizes.

I do hope that you have sorted this issue and are happy but please let us know if you are still having problems.

mrs maggot
03-01-2013, 05:15 PM
ok, but they are both still showing, despite adblock plus being on, and updated, and cookies cleared, and restarted i will wait now until some others post their replies on here, otherwise we are getting nowhere

Charlie_
03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I only use firefox and have never had any jumping issues Mrs M

Paul
03-01-2013, 05:23 PM
adblock is ON but you need to set it to block it manually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFLXmQNKFxk&feature=youtu.be