PDA

View Full Version : who does rhinestones printing??

Paul
18-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi guys! I wonder how many of us actually do rhinestones transfers??

If enough people then we can exchange our designs etc...

WorthDoingRight
18-09-2012, 08:56 PM
I currently only do Rhinestones around a few names I have flexed onto shirts. I have not spent a lot out on software but what I have bought does the job!

Paul
18-09-2012, 09:15 PM
same here... but i am tempted to try something more intrigued :)

WorthDoingRight
18-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Well I was going to buy WinPCSign 2012 for £160, then I tried rstones (for coreldraw) for $50 but did not like the 'if your pc hdd fails you have to buy again' aspect of the purchase especially as I was thinking of changing hdd. So in the end I went with Drawstones (for coreldraw) that cost $35 and could be installed twice if necessary. It does all I need at the moment.

Renniwano
18-09-2012, 09:52 PM
I have Corel Draw and have been looking at that Drawstones too.. I have the RStones trial.. but also don't like the idea of the having to purchase again if your HDD fails.. (or if like me you clean out every six to eight months)

I have been contemplating rhinestones for ages.. but just haven't got round to it 'yet'

WorthDoingRight
18-09-2012, 10:10 PM
I prefer Drawstones to rstones but I have a fast pc and they say drawstones is slower to render than rstones. But for $34 it is not too expensive if you do not like it. There is a drawstone trial also.

Renniwano
18-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Cheers hun.. might have to try that one..

Don't tell it.. but I am thinking of replacing my laptop in the next 6-8 months lol

bigj2552
19-09-2012, 12:50 AM
designer edition with the cameo here....super easy and very good results for rhinestones

FairyD
24-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Who would you recommend as a good, reliable supplier for the rhinestones in the UK!? Looking to put my bears on as rhinestones, a bit like you see 'Mickey Mouse' on the Disney tops.

Paul
24-01-2013, 12:13 PM
i would sugest to get some rhinestone software first and see if you can do that as making stencils is most difficult and time consuming part.

FairyD
24-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I can do it in Inkscape Paul, it's far more time consuming but I'm not planning on doing names to start with...going for designs that I can re-use so I don't need the software until I need to convert things on a much quicker basis.

Paul
24-01-2013, 12:36 PM
???
Can you share the way of doing it in inkscape please?

FairyD
24-01-2013, 12:59 PM
http://youtu.be/vIjuUUQ42nYI now need to get the rhinestones to try out my designs.......!! I've shared, are you sharing now!?!? ;O)

FairyD
24-01-2013, 01:09 PM
And another good one.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxWmABF464I

viccar
24-01-2013, 01:14 PM
If you were to do more that one colour then it starts getting even more difficult because you have to layer and cut the stencil out exactly so it fits on top of the other colour hiding the first colour, if that make sense.

Also be aware of the laws about children and rhinestones, in USA no child under 12 can have rhinestone clothing unless it is low lead and you have the test to prove it. (This is why most childrens clothing has now gone to sequins) As a rule I dont sell rhinestones to children only adults, I have not found any laws in UK or EU reguarding this, but im not taking the chance and presume if the USA its law, it will follow here.

Although if you wanted rhinestuds are ok and cheaper.

viccar
24-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Its easy to do it in any software like inkscape if you have time and patience, the old fashion way, get the outline of you drawing, and make lots of o the correct size and one by one fill the drawing in.

Also make the holes bigger than the rhinestones, 3mm = 3.30mm 2mm = 2.30 ect.

I will pm you my supplier details fairy.

FairyD
24-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi Viccar, brilliant info, thank you. Was thinking more of one colour with the nose a different colour...but need to try it out now to see if it'll work. Stuff just arrived from BMS so going to get that all sorted out so that I can have a play.

FairyD
24-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Sometimes I like old fashioned.....more control...I'm still a paper and pencil kinda' gal!!! ;O)

Paul
24-01-2013, 02:32 PM
i am sorry but inkscape wont be my favorite software for rhinestones :) good for text etc but not for more then one color designs.

FairyD
24-01-2013, 02:34 PM
I know...mine either, but spent too much this week already, so it'll have to do!!! Rhinestones already on order...so watch this space!! ;O)

FairyD
27-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Da Da!! I upgraded to the Silhouette Designer's Studio instead to make it nice and simple to begin with..and yes, it is simple.....and because I made my own template sheet from sticky vinyl sheets (á la Paul's video, except mine wasn't flock) and I just used the carrier sheet on the back of clothing vinyl to transfer it and had no brush and had to turn the little...£)$*)£($*£)$(*s by hand, I think this is an okay first attempt. I will definitely try some other designs...this was one I'd cut out in vinyl for scarves at Christmas!! My apologies for the blur....it was getting late and my hand had cramped from turning over the rhinestones!! ;O)

Stitch Up
27-01-2013, 11:27 AM
I think mixed media garment decoration adds a lot more value to product.

A few years back we made a F1 t-shirt for the Monaco GP and added ONE rhinestone - it sold really well at a higher price.

FairyD
27-01-2013, 11:30 AM
I agree John....I'm going to order some sparkly vinyls and I quite fancy doing some rhinestones for eyes and noses for the bears......I'm guessing the rhinestones F1 t-shirts were for the husbands to buy the wives to keep them happy!!! ;O)

Paul
27-01-2013, 12:48 PM
lovely shirt FairD! ;)

Stitch Up
27-01-2013, 12:53 PM
We purchased the Xpres rhinestone system a few years back. I came with Roland's R-Wear software - in my opinion, it was awful. We switched to RStones and have used it ever since. Very powerful and upgraded often http://www.rstones.ru/

FairyD
27-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Oh John...don't show me more software to play with....I'm not like most woman...I don't 'do' shoes...I do gadgets and software!!!! ;O) Looks great.....but would need to invest in Corel first, I work out of Photoshop mainly....I did look at the WinPCsign Pro software......have you had any dealings with it?!?! The Pro version lets you do rhinestones...actually, I might download the trial (although it doesn't let you cut or save) to see how it looks!!

Stitch Up
27-01-2013, 01:26 PM
There were quite a few who complained the 'trial' had so many restrictions but the software designer refused to budge. Having said that, the designer is very approachable, you can even email him and get a reply! For me, it's the best.

CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator seems to be the de-facto for vectors. I've used some of the others (not the one you mentioned) but for me, it has to be Corel. Go on ant professional signage forum like UK Signboards and it's Coreldraw. Go for it.

John

viccar
27-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Im with you fairy on the studio DE for £35 its great simple to use very easy to do vinyl with a rhinestone outer edge and does a good job.

Great t shirt fairy :biggrin:

and the brush (wispers) go wilkinsons and get one of them paint pad brush thingys its just the same :wink:

JackB
27-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Im with you fairy on the studio DE for £35 its great simple to use very easy to do vinyl with a rhinestone outer edge and does a good job.

Great t shirt fairy :biggrin:

and the brush (wispers) go wilkinsons and get one of them paint pad brush thingys its just the same :wink:

I've got the studio DE on my computer, but recently got rid of the silhouette and upgraded to the graphtec ce6000 (same company making the machines), but the Graphtec studio software won't accept the studio de files.

viccar
27-01-2013, 06:19 PM
No the studio DE files are .studio files and they only work with studio

india
03-03-2013, 01:11 AM
I use the DE version in studio And find it fab. very easy to use.
does anyone have any good suppliers of rhinstones in the UK
i also use card to cut my stencils, glue it to backing board and it works brilliant, no more expensive sticky flock :)

Angie
03-03-2013, 08:42 AM
I buy my rhinestones from Xpres, they have a fab range of stones and studs. I usually buy a few more bits to save on the postage in one go.
Do you cut your cardboard on a craft robo? I currently use a roll of sticky back thick vinyl but its a real nuisance to have to pick all the little dots out (it maybe that the roll is old and has been in the sun in my conservatory) but otherwise I really enjoy designing logo's.

india
03-03-2013, 03:03 PM
oh i will have to have a look at their rhinestones
i cut my templates with my silhouette cameo, no dots to pick out they are all left stuck to the mat, brilliant, ive no idea why people buy special material to make them, i have found the card the easiest way by far!!!

smo
24-03-2013, 12:28 PM
We use the Roland R-Wear software but generally only do names. I dont know why people hate it so much, its so simple to use!

tlworkwear
13-04-2013, 11:04 AM
I dabbled with Silhouette studio designer edition as I have a craft robo and the results were pretty good, just struggled to find a decent material to make the template from :)