PDA

View Full Version : Lighter patches - DF30

justme
24-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I have just purchased a DF30 from printerowners and am getting to grips with it!

I have just printed a batch of coasters (jpg attached) and some of them have lighter patches on them. Really hard to capture on a photo. Do you think it was the length of time I pressed them for? They were the 100x100mm unisub ones and I pressed them 190 for 60 seconds. Or perhaps the pressure? I have run out of blanks to experiment with - more on order.

When you tape the paper to the coaster, do you wrap the tape around ? I wonder if some of it is where the tape was?

Arghhh...anyone?

Paul
24-09-2012, 12:56 PM
was there any plastic film on them? if so... did you removed it? what time and temps you use??? have you pre press them before final press?

PAul

justme
24-09-2012, 01:00 PM
No plastic film... (not that I can see anyway!) I did 190 for 60 seconds.

What do you mean by pre press? No I just stuck them in and did them for the 60 secs...

4 out of 9 came out OK!...some from each of the 2 batches of 4 were OK...

Paul
24-09-2012, 01:02 PM
i sometimes prepress to get rid of extra misture. is worth to flip them up side donw and give them 10sec to dry them out. coll them down then press them with your graphic.

justme
24-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Oh, OK, thanks Paul.

I probably just need to experiment further...the blue one was the one that showed the problem up the worst.

Have ordered 30 coasters, so hopefully I'll get to grips with it without too much more wastage!

Cheers, Charis

Andrew
24-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Did you print them individually or all at the same time? Unless you have a very good press I would keep it to a max of 4 at a time. It can be excessive moisture if there are too many under there and haven't had a pre-press as Paul mentioned. Personally, I find that unisub coasters benefit for a high temp so wouldn't be afraid of going for 200c for 60s as you can get a great print from them. Go with a firm pressure as well.

justme
24-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for this - I pressed 4 at a time, with mixed results each time. When I get my new batch of coasters, I'll have another play and experiment with a pre press and, perhaps, a higher temperature. Thanks again for your help :)

Charis

WorthDoingRight
24-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Might be an uneven pressure issue which might be fixed by the use of a silicon sheet between the coasters and the press. A lot of pressing issues relate to the variations in thickness of items and a good silicon sheet can help see item below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X-Large-Silicone-Baking-Sheet-Work-Mat-Oven-Tray-Liner-Work-Top-Protector-/300671891541?pt=UK_Bakeware&var=&hash=item460170f855

Richard

Paul
24-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Personaly i wouldnot use silicon with coasters. :-)

Ian M
24-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Charis, you need to pre press them for 20 seconds to get rid of any moisture that's in the coasters. I would also print them one at a time to begin with using medium pressure. This video will give you a good idea of what to do even though it is a clock she is pressing. The clock is the same material as the coasters so, don't worry too much about that. It also gives you a good idea of what kind of pressure she is using too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C60L1WUeVc4

WorthDoingRight
24-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Personaly i wouldnot use silicon with coasters. :-)

Well if the pressure is uneven across the surface of 4 coasters what would you use? I would probably do a single item at the time if I was doing them (as Ian M stated) and would use a teflon sheet normally unless the surface was uneven when I use silicon sheets.

justme
24-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks so much for your help all of you - look forward to getting my new batch of coasters and giving it a new go.

Thanks again,

Charis :)

Paul
24-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Well if the pressure is uneven across the surface of 4 coasters what would you use?
less coasters, more pressure.

purpledragon
24-09-2012, 04:28 PM
did you know you printed them upside down ?

sorry couldnt resit it

bms
24-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Charis, you need to pre press them for 20 seconds to get rid of any moisture that's in the coasters. I would also print them one at a time to begin with using medium pressure. This video will give you a good idea of what to do even though it is a clock she is pressing. The clock is the same material as the coasters so, don't worry too much about that. It also gives you a good idea of what kind of pressure she is using too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C60L1WUeVc4

Yes sound advice. This could be moisture related so always good to pre-press as it doesn't do the product any harm.