PDA

View Full Version : Coralgragh mug press

frazzle
24-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Can any one help me please i'm new to mug pressing, but getting no where just mucking mugs up.

I have a coralgragh mug press i follow the instructions but just get a yellow stain on the mug.

i set the temp to 180c set time to 10s when it gets to that temp i turn the timer on and it counts down remove mug i have tried 20s and 180s and still have the same result a yellow stain on the mug.

Help:confused::confused::confused:

Ian M
24-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Frazzle, can you please tell us which model of mug press you have & also what inks are you using to produce your transfers.

bms
24-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Can any one help me please i'm new to mug pressing, but getting no where just mucking mugs up.

I have a coralgragh mug press i follow the instructions but just get a yellow stain on the mug.

i set the temp to 180c set time to 10s when it gets to that temp i turn the timer on and it counts down remove mug i have tried 20s and 180s and still have the same result a yellow stain on the mug.

Help:confused::confused::confused:

Just a yellow stain, nothing else?

Sounds like you've put genuine Ricoh inks into a Ricoh printer rather than using SubliJet-R inks. Are you using a Ricoh printer and do you have sublimation ink cartridges?

Are the mugs sublimation mugs as well?

frazzle
24-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Frazzle, can you please tell us which model of mug press you have & also what inks are you using to produce your transfers.

Hi Ian

I bought all the gear from Coralgraph it is a Ricol printer with sublimation ink on the mug press paper the mug press is the MP4105
dont know if it made any difference i inserted the ink cartridges that came with the printer, i was sent others as i ordered extra ink.

frazzle
24-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Just a yellow stain, nothing else?

Sounds like you've put genuine Ricoh inks into a Ricoh printer rather than using SubliJet-R inks. Are you using a Ricoh printer and do you have sublimation ink cartridges?

Are the mugs sublimation mugs as well?

sublimation mugs

bms
24-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Hi Ian

I bought all the gear from Coralgraph it is a Ricol printer with sublimation ink on the mug press paper the mug press is the MP4105
dont know if it made any difference i inserted the ink cartridges that came with the printer, i was sent others as i ordered extra ink.

I wonder if you've been sent the genuine Ricoh inks as well and put them in by mistake? Can you open the cartridge door and remove the cartridges (this won't harm anything) - do the cartridges say VisiSub on them or are they just black?

frazzle
24-09-2012, 08:21 PM
I wonder if you've been sent the genuine Ricoh inks as well and put them in by mistake? Can you open the cartridge door and remove the cartridges (this won't harm anything) - do the cartridges say VisiSub on them or are they just black?

The ones in there are plain black the spare ones have visisub on them.

Ian M
24-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi Frazzle, that mug press is different to mine so sorry I will have to pass. Coralgraph do a mug press like the one I use & I thought you might have that one.

I think Martin could be on the right track with the inks though.

frazzle
24-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Looks like i got normal ink in the printer (what a donut), what do i do now take them and do a load of printing to get rid of it or do i need to flush them out some how.

bms
24-09-2012, 08:28 PM
The ones in there are plain black the spare ones have visisub on them.

Then I think you've installed the genuine cartridges and that's now a real problem. We never send these out now to avoid this happening.

Your choice is now to take them out and start flushing through with the VisiSub cartridges. You are going to waste a lot of ink and time now but if you want to use that printer again you haven't got much choice. You'lll need to do at least 5 flushes to push out the ordinary ink and get VisiSub inks in. Or, to be honest with the price of the ink it might be cheaper to get a new printer and start a fresh. With the cartridges costing £175 +vat and a new printer costing £105 +vat then you are likely to flush a lot of ink through the printer which may also result in the waste tank having to be replaced much sooner that necessary (extra £35-40 +vat).

The only way of knowing you've got VisiSub ink flowing is to print and press onto a mug. If it comes out okay then fine if not you will need to do another flush.

Harsh fact here is that it may be cheaper to buy a new printer :(

Justin
24-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Did you buy the inks at the same time as he package deal on their site?

frazzle
24-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi again Martin where can i get a new printer for the price you quoted.

Is this one the same as i have http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/194119/Ricoh-GelJet-SG3110DN-Colour-Printer

frazzle
24-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Did you buy the inks at the same time as he package deal on their site?

yes bought the lot in one go

bms
24-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi again Martin where can i get a new printer for the price you quoted.

Is this one the same as i have http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/194119/Ricoh-GelJet-SG3110DN-Colour-Printer

Yes that one is the same or we can supply a brand new SG3110DN for £105 +vat (delivery is £7.99 +vat next day) and the £30 cashback is direct from Ricoh after you've purchased.

Justin
24-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Have you spoken to Coralgraph about this yet? They really should have mentioned about the Ricoh inks and as Martin said, it's better to remove these to save this happening. Maybe CG will help you out here.....warranty perhaps?

bms
24-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Have you spoken to Coralgraph about this yet? They really should have mentioned about the Ricoh inks and as Martin said, it's better to remove these to save this happening. Maybe CG will help you out here.....warranty perhaps?

I think you ought to speak to CG first. It's not a warranty issue, but goodwill if CG didn't make it clear that you mustn't install the genuine cartridges.

frazzle
24-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I'll give him a ring tomorrow see what he has to say, i don't really want to flush it out if the worst comes to the worst i think i'll buy another printer and use this one on one other the other pcs we have. Thanks for your comments i think we have the problem now, will post the outcome as an when. Thanks

jennywren
24-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I'll give him a ring tomorrow see what he has to say, i don't really want to flush it out if the worst comes to the worst i think i'll buy another printer and use this one on one other the other pcs we have. Thanks for your comments i think we have the problem now, will post the outcome as an when. Thanks

CG are very good when things go wrong, just make sure when you phone that they have some time to spare, that way you won't get stressed if they are dealing with orders and don't have the time to give you over your problem

frazzle
25-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Had a email back from Coralgragh just saying all printers have cartridges in and i should only use the sublimation ink, so i'm going to cut my losses and buy another printer could some one confirm this is the replacement the same as already have a Richo SG3110DN i only ask as i have seen a tone printer then got confused.

http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/194119/Ricoh-GelJet-SG3110DN-Colour-Printer

Andrew
25-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Why can you not just replace the oem inks with the subli inks now? Why a new printer? Haven't read the whole thread and don't have a Ricoh myself but would have thought you just need to get the subli inks installed and through the system. Does it really waste that much ink? We never have the same kind of huge wastage with Epsons.

draig
25-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi Frazzle, In all honesty I'd get the printer from BMS, they do know a thing or 2 about sublimation printing :-) plus you'll get the backup needed if there are problems etc.

Not associated with BMS and do not work for them, just a satisfied customer.

Sharon

Additional thought, if you have a flat press you could use the CG printer for heat transfer paper and add another feather in your cap.

frazzle
25-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Why can you not just replace the oem inks with the subli inks now? Why a new printer? Haven't read the whole thread and don't have a Ricoh myself but would have thought you just need to get the subli inks installed and through the system. Does it really waste that much ink? We never have the same kind of huge wastage with Epsons.

it is cheaper to buy another printer than to flush through with the proper ink.

frazzle
25-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi Frazzle, In all honesty I'd get the printer from BMS, they do know a thing or 2 about sublimation printing :-) plus you'll get the backup needed if there are problems etc.

Not associated with BMS and do not work for them, just a satisfied customer.

Sharon

Additional thought, if you have a flat press you could use the CG printer for heat transfer paper and add another feather in your cap.

Just ordered one from Martin at BMS

Andrew
25-09-2012, 01:41 PM
it is cheaper to buy another printer than to flush through with the proper ink.

How? Not sure how this works out. Once you pull the ink through to the heads then you can print. You shouldn't really have to pull to much more through than when you initially introduce ink. A bit more of a clean to make sure there is no mixing once you have all colours through but that would be it I would have thought. Certainly all we ever do on the epsons.

Ian M
25-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Andrew, the Ricoh's have tubes that feed ink to the print heads from the cartridges & these do hold quite a bit of ink. If my memory serves me right I think it has been said the tubes hold about half a cartridge full of ink. It is a lot easier with the Epsons as the they don't have the tubes which makes it so much easier changing the cartridges over. The Brother printers are also similar to the Ricoh's with the tube feed system.

jennywren
25-09-2012, 02:20 PM
As you have already order another printer, you could clean through the other printer and use that as your back up, unless you intend to use the printer for its original use either way it would be silly just to let it go. In business mistake cost money.

frazzle
25-09-2012, 02:30 PM
As you have already order another printer, you could clean through the other printer and use that as your back up, unless you intend to use the printer for its original use either way it would be silly just to let it go. In business mistake cost money.

It wont be wasted my mrs can have it on her pc we would need to buy another one soon anyway.

Andrew
25-09-2012, 02:33 PM
I understand that Ian but you have to pull through the sublimation ink through the tubes regardless of whether there is current ink in there or not. Just need to pull a bit more through with current ink to make sure it is all pure subli ink.

All the epsons we do this on have the tube system so it's a similar thing we do. Just print off regular head cleans during the priming and print on a bit of metal to check when all heads are pulling through just fresh subli ink.

JSR
25-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Andrew is right. The only ink you're "wasting" is the ink that's already in the lines - in other words, the ink you don't want.

The ink you do want has to fill the lines before it reaches the printhead, and this is the same whether the lines are full of old ink or full of air (i.e. "as new").

The same situation applies to Brother printers, and the Epson Workforce printers - or, indeed, any printer that has the inks remote-mounted. When I swap out inks on my Brother printers, I flush through with cartridges containing cleaning fluid first (so I can be sure the inks have flushed out okay) but, the last time I switched from pigment to dye, I didn't bother with the flushing.

Think of it like swapping out inks in a CISS. You flush out the bottles and the lines to get rid of the old ink, and then fill the bottles and the lines with the new ink. What have you wasted? Not the new ink - only the stuff you wanted to get rid of anyway.

There's a lot of FUD around about how much "expensive ink" you're going to "waste" when you swap out the cartridges, but the only ink you're wasting is ink you didn't want in there in the first place.

WorthDoingRight
25-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Well, we should all be happy that we do not have large format printers with swappable photographic and matte black inks. I think I read somewhere that a Canon wasted something like 40ml of ink everytime you had to swap black cartridges over and at retail costs of close on £130 for 330ml it makes swapping blacks an expensive past time.

Ian M
25-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Andrew & Jonathan, many thanks for enlightening me & I was just thinking of A4 desktop Epsons at the time of writing. I was thinking that the Ricoh's have a gauge on them to say how much ink is in there & was wondering if you could use this as a rough guide when you changed the cartridges & flushed the new ink through. I was thinking if you made a note of what the gauge said for each colour & then you put the new cartridges in & flushed through once the gauge was where it was before might be a good time to press something to try it out. I'll probably be wrong as I'm talking about something I have never used.....lol......I'll go get my coat now :tongue:

bms
25-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Andrew is right. The only ink you're "wasting" is the ink that's already in the lines - in other words, the ink you don't want.

The ink you do want has to fill the lines before it reaches the printhead, and this is the same whether the lines are full of old ink or full of air (i.e. "as new").

The same situation applies to Brother printers, and the Epson Workforce printers - or, indeed, any printer that has the inks remote-mounted. When I swap out inks on my Brother printers, I flush through with cartridges containing cleaning fluid first (so I can be sure the inks have flushed out okay) but, the last time I switched from pigment to dye, I didn't bother with the flushing.

Think of it like swapping out inks in a CISS. You flush out the bottles and the lines to get rid of the old ink, and then fill the bottles and the lines with the new ink. What have you wasted? Not the new ink - only the stuff you wanted to get rid of anyway.

There's a lot of FUD around about how much "expensive ink" you're going to "waste" when you swap out the cartridges, but the only ink you're wasting is ink you didn't want in there in the first place.

Have to look up "FUD" :)

There is a lot of wasted ink in terms of flushing when your mixing ink with ink. With cleaning solution you know when you've flushed as the "ink" turns clear. With the Ricoh's it's 5 or so flushes and all the time the ink is mixing with the other ink in the system so there is going to be flushing of old ink, flushing of mixed ink and eventually some flushing of sublimation ink. All this flushing of ink has to go somewhere so not only is ink wasted, but the waste ink tank fills and then that's another expense coming sooner rather than later.

So by the time you factor in flushing some of the sublimation ink down the proverbial drain, factor in a replacement ink tank sooner than expected and the £30 cashback you can get from Ricoh for buying this printer as a standard inkjet printer then the costs of just buying a new printer aren't huge (and you've saved a significant amount of time, effort, testing, possibly wasting blanks and for a newbie, all this can be a bit bewildering).

Tans
25-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Interesting reading this thread. I was sceptical about the price of some of the BMS stuff when I started out, however over the course of time I have slowly been converted. First class customer service, and even on this thread helping out when IMO it's another supplier's responsibility to. (Obviously, BMS received an order out of it so good business sense, however there was no guarantee of that when the first bit of help came along). Just genuinely impressed I suppose.

Shows don't try and save a fiver/other on an item this size and just go with someone more reputable like BMS first time around. Would not make this mistake with them as the "bad" inks wouldn't be in there, or alternatively they include MULTIPLE references regarding the "bad" inks so you can't make the mistake (in theory!). Hopefully any newbies refer to this thread before taking the plunge in future.... :smile:

Justin
25-09-2012, 11:11 PM
The true test of a good Supplier? They'll all take your order but how many will get you out of these sticky situations when things go wrong. I appreciate the supplier wasn't really to blame here but I do feel the Ricoh inks should have been removed from the box as it was bought as a package deal and instructions should have been clearer.

Paul
25-09-2012, 11:14 PM
Imo oryginal ink should be supplied as this is part of th printer that was sold by ricoh. What should.be done by suppliers is to.stick some tape on ink doors with msg. About right inks instalment. So you cant avoid the reading before removing tape.

frazzle
25-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Interesting reading this thread. I was sceptical about the price of some of the BMS stuff when I started out, however over the course of time I have slowly been converted. First class customer service, and even on this thread helping out when IMO it's another supplier's responsibility to. (Obviously, BMS received an order out of it so good business sense, however there was no guarantee of that when the first bit of help came along). Just genuinely impressed I suppose.

Shows don't try and save a fiver/other on an item this size and just go with someone more reputable like BMS first time around. Would not make this mistake with them as the "bad" inks wouldn't be in there, or alternatively they include MULTIPLE references regarding the "bad" inks so you can't make the mistake (in theory!). Hopefully any newbies refer to this thread before taking the plunge in future.... :smile:

In all fairness to the supplier i used he gave me a reasonable discount and a box of mugs and other items to try printing on, all given without me asking, so its not so bad buying another printer i am still in money wise, plus the mrs gets a new printer.

JSR
25-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Andrew & Jonathan, many thanks for enlightening me & I was just thinking of A4 desktop Epsons at the time of writing. I was thinking that the Ricoh's have a gauge on them to say how much ink is in there & was wondering if you could use this as a rough guide when you changed the cartridges & flushed the new ink through. I was thinking if you made a note of what the gauge said for each colour & then you put the new cartridges in & flushed through once the gauge was where it was before might be a good time to press something to try it out. I'll probably be wrong as I'm talking about something I have never used.....lol......I'll go get my coat now :tongue:
I don't know whether Ricoh have gauges or anything. Personally, if changing from dye to dye-sub, I bung in cartridges of cleaning fluid so I know when the old ink is out and when the new ink is flowing. The cleaning fluid cost me £4.99 for 100ml and I've used it several times (still have plenty left) to do this so the cost has probably been about 50p of cleaning fluid each time.

It may sound a bit primitive but my printers don't get crippled by those chips that are on other printers.

JSR
25-09-2012, 11:49 PM
All this flushing of ink has to go somewhere so not only is ink wasted, but the waste ink tank fills and then that's another expense coming sooner rather than later.
Depends how you choose to "flush". I don't use the cleaning cycle to do it. I just set up a print job to print pages of CMYK colour blocks. I put in old sheets of paper that have already been used, and print both sides. Nothing ends up in the waste bin, no paper is wasted, nothing.

Doing it this way, I can see exactly when the ink changes to cleaning fluid and exactly when the cleaning fluid changes to ink. Almost none of the new ink is wasted. No wasted expensive ink, no wasted cleaning cycles, no filled up waste pad.

I know it sounds too simple, but sometimes I wonder why we need to make things so complicated.

frazzle
27-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Now i have the right ink in the new printer what do i set the paper too it is Ricoh 3110dn printer

bms
27-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Now i have the right ink in the new printer what do i set the paper too it is Ricoh 3110dn printer

Paper would be TruPix in the PowerDriver software - which you need to download and install from http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/technical-support/sublijet-r/power-drivers-icc-profiles

frazzle
27-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Paper would be TruPix in the PowerDriver software - which you need to download and install from http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/technical-support/sublijet-r/power-drivers-icc-profiles

Thanks martin when i have mastered this i will right a book titled ''Mug pressing for beginners''. LOL

Ian M
27-09-2012, 08:21 PM
when i have mastered this i will right a book titled ''Mug pressing for beginners''. LOL

I thought we alredy had on here :wink:

arko
27-09-2012, 08:23 PM
I thought we alredy had on here :wink:
I wish they would supply one for the EH UK720. Hahaha!... This is my next project... mug pressing looks a lot easier than vinyl cutting without instructions?

Paul
27-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Post picture of your controls and i am sure someone will be able to help you ;-)

Justin
27-09-2012, 08:35 PM
I have the 720 (or 721) here.....I think, good luck with that!

WorthDoingRight
28-09-2012, 12:43 AM
You push your left button in, let your left button out. In out in out then shake your fist about! You do the 'oh damn-baloney' and you turn around and then your ruined vinyl comes flying out. 'Oh damn and baloney', 'oh damn and baloney', 'oh damn and baloney' knees stretched, arms bent, hair torn out!

This is the vinyl cutters version of the Okey Cokey song lol

JMugs
28-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Your talents are truely wasted, X factor is where you should be, you are Simon Cowels dream!

Janners

WorthDoingRight
28-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Your talents are truely wasted, X factor is where you should be, you are Simon Cowels dream!

Janners

I think I am bad enough to go to the final of Britain's Got Talent lol

Scotty@BMS
28-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Imo oryginal ink should be supplied as this is part of th printer that was sold by ricoh. What should.be done by suppliers is to.stick some tape on ink doors with msg. About right inks instalment. So you cant avoid the reading before removing tape.

We used to do this. It was still ignored more times than I care to mention!

arko
28-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Just nearly, almost, spilt my John Smiths then with the Okey Dokey by WDR !... hahahahaa! Havent had a good laugh like that since I took ownership of that cutter! Nice one WDR! Thats made my day... gonna have to stop humming it now every time I look at the cutter!. :wink:

p.s. sorry yet again for going off topic! :redface:

frazzle
06-10-2012, 01:43 PM
When printing tapered mugs, do you make the paper oversize (in height) to cover the taper, but how do you make say the text straight.

Justin
06-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Worth starting a new thread I think Frazzle, although you may find similar threads with a search for latte, warped, tapered etc. :-)