PDA

View Full Version : "Comparisons are odious"

Greybeard
24-09-2012, 09:40 PM
I've no idea who said it first, but it'll do for an eye grabber.

As a newcomer to the forum, I've been trying to get some basic principles fixed in my ancient head so that I can compare the pros and cons of various methods.
Dye sub is OK, and DTG is getting there, but I'm sure there are lots of others, so my first question is there any place in the forum (or outside it for that matter) where a general line up might be found ?
I suppose what I'm looking for is a tick list of current processes to help me cover the ground a bit quicker.
The details need only be very sketchy, just enough to give an outline.

The high res detail can be filled in later...:smile:

John

WorthDoingRight
24-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Well John, I am not aware of such a list but reading your post I assume you are after methods of embellishing a plain t-shirt.

So here is a list of methods I am aware of, I am certain others can add to the list in this thread.

There is as you say Dye Sublimation, using sublimatable inks that can be used to decorate a high polyester content shirt. There is DTG where normally after pre-treating the shirt a printer prints directly on to the shirt with a printer. There is screen printing where ink is transfered through a fine mesh to leave a pattern of ink on the shirt. There is decoration using hand paints that you either paint on or airbrush on to the shirts. There are both laser and inkjet transfers where you print onto a transfer paper that is then applied to the shirt with a heat press. There are flex and flock materials that you cut out and stick to the shirt with a heat press. There are rhinestones and sequins that you again heat press onto the shirts and finally there is embroidery that you sew onto the shirt. Not sure what I have missed but I am sure someone will let us know soon enough.

Richard

Greybeard
24-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks Richard.
Obviously I should have added a bit more detail re what sort of product, but I'm being a bit coy about it.
Suffice to say that I have been approached by someone with an intriguing problem relating to my own expertise, but which I never solved.
Printing technology now is hardly recognisable from my early days in business, and it seemed to me that if I started again, I might just find a solution.
I'll add that I need to be able to place a customer supplied image onto an object that is flat while held in a purpose build carrier, which would be about 3/4" - 1" thick, with the maximum image size within A3.
Print runs might be 100 - 200, but the key has got to be fast turn around - almost "just-in-time" printing.

John

WorthDoingRight
24-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Well John, sorry to say that without an idea of what the object is made of that needs the image attaching this is a not going to be an easy item to assist with and I for one have no great ability to imagine an image of the item from your description. Perhaps someone else will be able to advise you that can see what you are trying to achieve in their minds eye.

Richard

Greybeard
24-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Sorry Richard, senior moment there..:redface:
The top surface, to be printed, will be a polyester or a polycotton mix fabric.

John

Greybeard
24-09-2012, 11:49 PM
I realise that dye sub seems the obvious way to go, but since joining the forum and seeing other processes, like DTG, I thought I should ask the question.
This might help me more quickly get up to speed on any alternatives that might be worth investigating by virtue of a faster cycle time, for instance.

Living as I do within the proverbial stones throw of Listawood, this alone might be a good indicator of which way to go !

John

WorthDoingRight
24-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Well polyester or a high % polyester cotton fabric is suitable for dye sublimation and if it is mounted on a 1" thick mount that allows a swing arm press to swing over the top and press the paper to your material then it might be the way to go. However is the material mountable to the 1" thick carrier after printing? if so many other methods may be suitable also.

Greybeard
25-09-2012, 12:01 AM
..........However is the material mountable to the 1" thick carrier after printing? if so many other methods may be suitable also.

Unfortunately no, and this is the major problem, and why I checked out DTG, and then I saw the capital investment required - ouch !

I do have a couple of gelsprinters, a Gx2500 and a Gx3000, so I'm familiar with that type of inkjet, and did once successfully get them to print on a white stiffened polyester silk fabric.
It would be an interesting challenge to hack one of those to print on a 1" thick block, but that's a different problem.

John

WorthDoingRight
25-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Well there are a few youtube videos of hacked epson printers being used for DTG purposes - maybe have a look and see :-)

Greybeard
25-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Thanks Richard, but that will have to be tomorrow. Well past my bedtime !
John

bigj2552
25-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Well there are a few youtube videos of hacked epson printers being used for DTG purposes - maybe have a look and see :-)

i been through all those pesky YouTube vids for DTG home made machines and.....yeh, they show you it working, but try and ask the buggers how they build it, that's another story they aint giving :mad:
Then T-shirt forum has a section dedicated to it.....
but i couldn't be assed going through it all....got other things to deal with rather than detecting a printer :tongue:

Greybeard
25-09-2012, 09:29 AM
"Ingenuity" + detective work I'm good at, but years spent re-inventing wheels has left me a little wiser. That, plus the sore head from too many walls.

Question on DTG - does the ink need hot pressing to cure/dry ?

John

Earl Smith
25-09-2012, 11:03 AM
"Ingenuity" + detective work I'm good at, but years spent re-inventing wheels has left me a little wiser. That, plus the sore head from too many walls.

Question on DTG - does the ink need hot pressing to cure/dry ?

John

Cure dry needs 3 to 4 mins , two times. DTG only prints onto cotton, not polyester.

Greybeard
25-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Cure dry needs 3 to 4 mins , two times. DTG only prints onto cotton, not polyester.
I take it then that cure dry is room temperature ?
Cotton only is a pain. Is that an absolute, or just that any thing else is too iffy ? The product will never be subjected to washing, by the way.

John

Earl Smith
25-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Cure dry is at 170c for 2x 3 to 4 mins in a heat press. You can use a tunnel as well. You must also pre treat the cotton before with a special spray. ( That also has to be dried under the press. ).
They are experimenting with a pretreat for poly but so far it doesnt work. Ive tried it and can vouch for that. Washing or not washing, its the same.

How many articles are you doing? If its a reasonable amount you could get transfers made. Ive just come across these people and the prices are OK. http://en.mister-transfer.com/
Yes, they speak English.

Greybeard
25-09-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the info, but whatever system we settle for will need to be in-house.
John