PDA

View Full Version : clearer instructions

frazzle
25-09-2012, 06:39 PM
The instructions i received today for printing mug is

Temp 180c
1st Mug 10s

Then says following printing 180s

I would have rang the supplier today but been a busy day with my other business interests.

But surly the second mug would be the same as the 1st
wait till temp hits 180c put mug in clamp set timer to 10s

Any help would be appreciated.

arko
25-09-2012, 07:30 PM
10 seconds?... I would have thought it took a bit longer to print onto a mug?... Maybe it meant pre-warm (without print) for 10 seconds? probably longer than that too!... Then print?.. Not sure exactly what you mean.

I would start by making sure your transfer is dry before attempting to press it - I know it is tempting to print and press almost immediately afterwards but damp paper and wet ink do not sublimate very well. Also is your press at 180 degrees after the mug is inserted before you start timing? If you are not letting the mug warm to 180 degrees before timing begins you may be undercooking the item. Also do you make sure the transfer is smoothed down hard onto the mug before tapping it down? Obvious other causes are the mug press is not tight enough or uneven in its pressure.

This was taken from a thread here...http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?5523-Help-with-Mug-printing

frazzle
25-09-2012, 07:59 PM
10 seconds?... I would have thought it took a bit longer to print onto a mug?... Maybe it meant pre-warm (without print) for 10 seconds? probably longer than that too!... Then print?.. Not sure exactly what you mean.

This was taken from a thread here...http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?5523-Help-with-Mug-printing

I have read that thread very helpful, cant understand why the instructions are not more clear when i bought this setup, if you know what you are talking about cant take a few minutes to write a instruction sheet to put in the box with the press.

frazzle
25-09-2012, 08:02 PM
These are the instructions i received today

temperature:180℃ first mug printing :10seconds; following printing:180 second,which depends on element temp

arko
25-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I know exactly what you mean my friend.... I got a cutter on Monday... no instructions whatsoever, but!... I did get 4 home-made videos of a so-called set-up that even The Beast off of "The Chase" wouldnt understand!!!

frazzle
25-09-2012, 08:21 PM
I know exactly what you mean my friend.... I got a cutter on Monday... no instructions whatsoever, but!... I did get 4 home-made videos of a so-called set-up that even The Beast off of "The Chase" wouldnt understand!!!

I had some instructions but it was not someone who knows english so it did not make sense.

arko
25-09-2012, 08:23 PM
If you wait for a bit... there will no-doubt one of the pro-members come along to help you with an answer... they are good like that!... they are sometimes slow... but always come up with a solution! ;)

letsgo
25-09-2012, 08:27 PM
preheat press to 180 degrees place mug in and press for 180 seconds (time starts from when mug is in press) ensure got a good pressure on press.
if your using a ricoh printer drop tim to 170 seconds if you find blacks are coming out brownish.

accdave
25-09-2012, 08:27 PM
You really only need to search and read through some of the previous posts to find penty of instructions. Bear in mind that some mug presses operate differently a model number might get better help from those who have the same.

frazzle
25-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Having read various posts on this forum i have come up with this plan of attack please correct me if i have got it wrong.

1. Insert mug in to press, with a dry sublimation photo or text.
2. Set temp to 180c
3. Set timer to ?
4. When mat reaches temp start the timer ?
5. When alarms goes off remove mug and cool with fan or water.
6 Repeat 1-5 with further mugs to print

arko
25-09-2012, 08:29 PM
See!.... I told you they would come up with an answer! :)

accdave
25-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Having read various posts on this forum i have come up with this plan of attack please correct me if i have got it wrong.

2. Set temp to 180c
3. Set timer to ?
4. When mat reaches temp start the timer ?

I do mine for 180 seconds but as letsgo points out it may depends on the printer. Thats why it's best to specify all details :biggrin:

arko
25-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Im not sure but I think someone said heat the mug first to around that temperature and then put the print on it and press?

frazzle
25-09-2012, 08:41 PM
While was writing i had two replies thanks for that the mug press is a Coral4 Commercial Mug Press

2. Set temp to 180c
3. Set timer to 180s
4. When mat reaches temp start the timer 180s

Ian M
25-09-2012, 08:44 PM
A good place to find the pressing time & temperature of various items is at the BMS website at the bottom of each product description. http://www.printerowners.co.uk/

mrs maggot
25-09-2012, 08:44 PM
1 heat the mug press with an old mug in it - never empty
2 set 180c and wait to heat up
3 remove mug (it will be hot)
4 insert the mug you are pressing with the paper attached using heat tape
5 set timer for 180s
6 when alarm goes remove mug / cool with fan or warm(ish) water most prefer fan method

if there is a delay in loading the other mugs - always put the old mug in when the press is on

frazzle
25-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks Ian And mrs Maggot.

Ian M
25-09-2012, 08:48 PM
If you wait for a bit... there will no-doubt one of the pro-members come along to help you with an answer... they are good like that!... they are sometimes slow... but always come up with a solution! ;)

Please remember we are not on here 24/7 as a lot of us have a business to run which will always come first as it is our living. However we will always be pleased to help & offer our advice when we can. :biggrin:

accdave
25-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Im not sure but I think someone said heat the mug first to around that temperature and then put the print on it and press?

Only if it's an extremely cold day and your hands need warming up :biggrin:

mrs maggot
25-09-2012, 09:04 PM
as dave says the pre-heating is only the mugs to room temp, if you store them outside in the garage, otherwise its an old mug in the press while it heats to protect the element (dont worry you will soon have lots of mugs to choose from - upsidedown, back to front, faded, wonkey)

frazzle
25-09-2012, 09:16 PM
as dave says the pre-heating is only the mugs to room temp, if you store them outside in the garage, otherwise its an old mug in the press while it heats to protect the element (dont worry you will soon have lots of mugs to choose from - upsidedown, back to front, faded, wonkey)

I have some already.

arko
25-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Well, Im not surprised Ian!.... Business wouldny be the same without it! hahaha!.... (hmmm.... not sure whether I should be scolded by that?) ... nooo, I know you all have you day-to-day enterprises, Im just saying... (only because I didnt know the answer and was trying to keep the topic alive to help!).... arko goes off to sulk for being put in his place!

bms
25-09-2012, 09:38 PM
1 heat the mug press with an old mug in it - never empty
2 set 180c and wait to heat up
3 remove mug (it will be hot)
4 insert the mug you are pressing with the paper attached using heat tape
5 set timer for 180s
6 when alarm goes remove mug / cool with fan or warm(ish) water most prefer fan method

if there is a delay in loading the other mugs - always put the old mug in when the press is on

That's about it... but as you have a Ricoh Printer I would recommend changing (2) to 170 degrees and (5) to 140 seconds. The Ricoh's don't need as much heat for so long as an Epson. Note that when you put your mug into the mug press the temp will drop (this is normal) and it will creep back up to 170 degrees. Depending on your mug press - does the time start from when you put the mug in or when it gets back up to 170 degrees? If the latter then you could drop the time to 120 seconds as the mug is heating and sublimatiing as the temp is rising towards 170 degrees so the actual time the mug is in the press is longer than 120 seconds.

Hope that's not too confusing!

Ian M
25-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Well, Im not surprised Ian!.... Business wouldny be the same without it! hahaha!.... (hmmm.... not sure whether I should be scolded by that?) ... nooo, I know you all have you day-to-day enterprises, Im just saying... (only because I didnt know the answer and was trying to keep the topic alive to help!).... arko goes off to sulk for being put in his place!

Ian, please don't take what I said the wrong way as I didn't mean it that way at all. The reason I said what I did was because in the past some members have expected an instant response as they think a lot of us are sat here waiting for the next question about a problem to be posted. I was once chairman of a classic car club that had members all over the world & I used to get the odd call from someone who had a car like mine who had a problem & they would ring me at like 2am from the other side of the world asking how to fix it or where they could get a certain part. Sometimes we all have to have a little patience to get an answer to a problem or question. In fact it took a few days for me to get answer to something I asked on here via a PM but, it was well worth the wait for the answer I received.

Justin
25-09-2012, 09:54 PM

I've praised our membership on more than one occasion for the fact that responses are always quick and helpful. I've never known a forum with such helpful members or where responses are given so quickly...think on!!! :-)

arko
25-09-2012, 10:24 PM
@Ian M... i was only kidding!... banter banter, thats all it is...I wouldnt take it the wrong way at all. I do rteally appreciate what people on this forum do for a living... thats why Im here tio learn from youm all that have the know-how.
@Justin.... I agree... some topics would have been closed by now for being way off-topic caused by my comments for example.! ;)

p.s.... I was just trying to point out my inexperience in trying to resolve frazzles original question... I couldnt... and that is why I mentioned that ripened members would and probably could come up with an adequate if not a complete solution. :smile:

frazzle
13-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I have read a lot of posts about the mug pressing on here, can you correct me if i am right now.

1 set temp and timer put old mug in
2 once temp hits temp remove old mug put mug in to be pressed
3 wait till temp gets back up then start timer or remove old mug put new mug in don't wait till the temp gets back up and hit the timer.

Paul
14-10-2012, 12:01 AM
remove old mug put new mug in don't wait till the temp gets back up and hit the timer.
I agree with this way of doing it :) but compensate temp drop with let say 20sec extra :)
in this case you can do anything else... get another mug ready etc... if you wait till temp go back then this mean you need to stand there and wait :)

mrs maggot
14-10-2012, 09:34 AM
same as paul here, old mug up to temp, then just press 'em 1 after another

frazzle
14-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I have waited for the temp to get back up so will try adding 20sec then as you say no hanging about.

Thanks for the replies lads

WorthDoingRight
14-10-2012, 12:59 PM
The instructions i received today for printing mug is

Temp 180c
1st Mug 10s

Then says following printing 180s

I would have rang the supplier today but been a busy day with my other business interests.

But surly the second mug would be the same as the 1st
wait till temp hits 180c put mug in clamp set timer to 10s

Any help would be appreciated.

I wonder if they mean put your first mug in cold press and when it reaches 180C then give it an extra 10 secs, for all other mugs it will be 180C for 180sec?

Heatpressuk
14-10-2012, 04:55 PM
The standard timings for mug pressing is

180deg C for 240secs

If you can Private message me your email address I'll ping you across general timings for most products.

Charlie_
14-10-2012, 05:13 PM
same as paul here, old mug up to temp, then just press 'em 1 after another

Same here and they all come out fine............

frazzle
14-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Its makes sense to press it longer rather than what i have been doing waiting till it is back to the temp will try this tomorrow, thanks for helping me out yet again.

bms
14-10-2012, 06:50 PM
The standard timings for mug pressing is

180deg C for 240secs

If you can Private message me your email address I'll ping you across general timings for most products.

I don't believe there is a standard. Our mug presses have an idle temp of 110 and we recommend an operating temp of 170 for 140 seconds. Ricoh printers using SubliJetR inks need a little less heat for less time that the Epson printers using Artainium inks. In other mug presses a temp of 180 for 180 seconds is generally recommended. Some presses use a sacrificial mug and change over when the press is at 180 to stop the heat blanket from burning out without a mug in place, some people press for 180 seconds from changeover, others wait for the press to get back up to 180 and then start the 180 seconds. I even had one customer using a press that would put a mug in from cold, allow it to heat to 180 then give it 5 seconds and remove the mug - perfect results every time - why...because the press would take so long to get back to 180 that it didn't need much longer.

So presses operate differently and the theory is that you need your press to be at a specific temperature for a certain duration to allow the inks to gas off the paper and bond with the glaze on the mug. Once you have a setting that works for you then write it down.

General guidance for pressing temps and times can also be found online, e.g. http://www.printerowners.co.uk/temperature-details.php and other places offer the same.

frazzle
14-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't believe there is a standard. Our mug presses have an idle temp of 110 and we recommend an operating temp of 170 for 140 seconds. Ricoh printers using SubliJetR inks need a little less heat for less time that the Epson printers using Artainium inks. In other mug presses a temp of 180 for 180 seconds is generally recommended. Some presses use a sacrificial mug and change over when the press is at 180 to stop the heat blanket from burning out without a mug in place, some people press for 180 seconds from changeover, others wait for the press to get back up to 180 and then start the 180 seconds. I even had one customer using a press that would put a mug in from cold, allow it to heat to 180 then give it 5 seconds and remove the mug - perfect results every time - why...because the press would take so long to get back to 180 that it didn't need much longer.

So presses operate differently and the theory is that you need your press to be at a specific temperature for a certain duration to allow the inks to gas off the paper and bond with the glaze on the mug. Once you have a setting that works for you then write it down.

General guidance for pressing temps and times can also be found online, e.g. http://www.printerowners.co.uk/temperature-details.php and other places offer the same.

What do you mean idle temp of 110

bms
14-10-2012, 07:08 PM
What do you mean idle temp of 110

Our mug presses have an idle temp - a temp they will sit at to put a mug in before being asked to increase to the higher operating temp. This is a safety feature to stop overheating the blanket without a mug in place.