PDA

View Full Version : Fleeces

TonyM
27-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Hi all,
I keep getting asked for small runs of fleeces.
I keep on passing them onto someone else and it is frustrating as it is becoming more asked for.
Is embroidery the only was to get a logo/name onto a fleece?
Also the set up cost is quite a lot when the person, as in the latest case only wants 3.
Is there such a thing as a subli fleece?
What about using my plotter, is there such a thing as a fleece flock?
I did a little test, and cut out Dad on my plotter using a couple of different fabric flocks and pressed them onto my dressing gown. (Not a fleece I know, but a similar kind of material) I cant say that it really worked as it is kind of sitting on the top of the material, due to the fluffy material. Does this make sense?
It has washed better that I thought, but it does seem to be loosening a bit after a few washes.
So, is it possible to print or press a flock to fleece, or is embroidery the only way.
I wish I could afford an embroidery machine and i will be looking for an entry level one after xmas if anyone knows of one.

Tony

RogerC
27-09-2012, 01:42 PM
I've recently supplied some print/cut logos produced on my Versacamm 300 using Grafityp C Print (soft stretchy printable vinyl) for a chap who wanted to try the media on fleeces. He runs a business doing t shirts/hoodies and fleeces but this image was too complicated to use cut material hence he came to me to 'experiment'. I supplied the 'print', he did the application and is well pleased with the results. He has just come back to me for another run.

As you mentioned 'print' I hope this helps.

smitch6
27-09-2012, 01:45 PM
you don't need a huge embroidery machine
i use a combi which is a normal sewing machine with an embroidery attachment
cost about 500 second hand from my local shop but they can be got cheaper
it can do up to 4" square so no good for big jobs like the backs but perfect for logo's
and doesn't take up loads of room either
for digitising the software is mega expensive so i outsource at 5.00 - 10.00 a time

logobear
27-09-2012, 11:50 PM
you can press vinyl onto fleece, - low pile is best, - best to use another fleece as a topping, - so you don't crush the fabric. treble the time, and don't pic at the edges!
embroidery is better thou'

Renniwano
27-09-2012, 11:54 PM
I have just pressed onto low pile fleece.. and even though it's good enough for what I am doing.. I am not 100% sure i'd trust it to do it on actual clothing..

TonyM
28-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Hmm thanks for the replies.
I may try an experiment with a low pile fleece. The design is a fairly straight forward logo on the front and a name and sales consultant on the back.
Like I say I did try it on a dressing gown and it just sits on top.
Might pop into Asda and buy a single black fleece and try it later.
Will let people know how i get on.
Thanks for the help
Tony

TonyM
28-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Ok I tried pressing vinyl to fleece and it adhered very well.
Problem is the fleece gets badly squashed.
I pressed a glitter Vinyl at 160 for 15 seconds.
I covered with paper and had a medium pressure.
I have washed the fleece and it looks a little better.
I think i maybe should have done as the poster advised and protected with more fleece for 45 seconds?
I have added the result. The first is a very obvious press mark and the second after a 60deg short wash and quick tumble.
Still there but not as pronounced.
Not great, but it proves you can press Vinyl to fleece.

Tony

bms
29-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Ok I tried pressing vinyl to fleece and it adhered very well.
Problem is the fleece gets badly squashed.
I pressed a glitter Vinyl at 160 for 15 seconds.
I covered with paper and had a medium pressure.
I have washed the fleece and it looks a little better.
I think i maybe should have done as the poster advised and protected with more fleece for 45 seconds?
I have added the result. The first is a very obvious press mark and the second after a 60deg short wash and quick tumble.
Still there but not as pronounced.
Not great, but it proves you can press Vinyl to fleece.

Tony

I always find flock is better on fleeces as the pile of flock is similar to the fleece. I find that flex sits on the pile too much.
Sometimes a stiff brush against the pile helps bring it back up okay.