PDA

View Full Version : WOW mugs

quasar
01-10-2012, 01:17 PM
I bought a demo set, but have noticed the tape I am sticking them on with is showing up after heating and leaving a mark on the mug after cooling.
could this be too much pressure, as I am following direction for temp and time?

WorthDoingRight
01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
If that line all around the mug is from heat tape then I think you are using way too much tape - i use a 2 cm piece times 2 stuck on the short ends of the paper eg under the handle.

quasar
01-10-2012, 01:52 PM
No the tape is the little bit in the second picture, I think the other marks are from paper, which is why I wondered about pressure?

WorthDoingRight
01-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Have you tried washing the mugs to see if the residue comes off?

quasar
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Will try that, just wondered why it happened.

Paul
01-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I noticed that too. And it wont wash off. All i.do i lower temp down.and extend time. As coating.on them is soft.

WorthDoingRight
01-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Well I have had the odd mug where the paper stuck to the mug and the residue washed off. I wondered if it was damp paper or wet ink issues. Luckily it happens so infrequently.

WorthDoingRight
01-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I noticed that too. And it wont wash off. All i.do i lower temp down.and extend time. As coating.on them is soft.

Well looks like these WoW mugs only WoW if you get them right :frown:

quasar
01-10-2012, 03:18 PM
At the moment they are not giving me that wow factor, just ahhhhhhhhhhh!

socialgiraffe
01-10-2012, 03:53 PM
WOW = Waste Of Wonga

IMHO LOL!!!!

Craig
01-10-2012, 04:16 PM
WOW = Waste Of Wonga

IMHO LOL!!!!

Quality lol

Russ
01-10-2012, 05:30 PM
I used to get a similar mark on mug designs (std mugs not WOW mugs) where I was using as much of the paper as possible to put a solid colour on the mug, and then putting the tape horizontally (so it went over some of the back of the design).
Now I make sure its a small piece of tape and it's stuck on vertically not covering any of the design.

JSR
01-10-2012, 05:38 PM
The coating does seem to be "soft" on colour-change mugs. I back the temperature right off and increase the time when I do them. You also want to be sure that you're using the polyimide heat tape, not the polyester stuff, but both react with the coating on colour-change mugs.

The residue does wash off, it's just tough to get it off at the edge of the paper without damaging the coating. For most mugs, I would use TruPix paper but I use TexPrint with colour-change mugs because even the paper seems to react with the coating (leaving it orange/brown, when the mug is white, where the paper is in contact with the mug during heating).

I stopped doing them awhile back because, no matter who I bought them from, they always seemed to be "C grade". The bottom ring of the mug (where it sits on the table) was invariably a right mess in at least 1/3rd of the mugs, and there would be blemishes or other marks only visible once the coating had turned transparent. I was rejecting more than I was selling, so I gave up doing them. When I tried to sell my "rejects" at knock-down prices, no one wanted them - so I know I did the right thing to stop doing them, otherwise I'd end up with a whole mess of dissatisfied customers.

These are a product that were infinitely better in the days of TAMS but, now, I wouldn't touch them unless a supplier could guarantee A-grade quality.

Paul
01-10-2012, 06:44 PM
These are a product that were infinitely better in the days of TAMS but, now, I wouldn't touch them unless a supplier could guarantee A-grade quality.
Can you believe i still have couple of tams here??? :)
I think is only two blue left but hey hooo. they are collectors items this days :cool:

WorthDoingRight
01-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I stopped doing them awhile back because, no matter who I bought them from, they always seemed to be "C grade"

Makes me now wonder if they don't put the heat changing coating on 'unsaleable' normal mugs to hide the imperfections and get rid of them!

But this sort of quality reminds me of those pens you used to buy at the seaside where when you turned them over the ladies bathing costume disappeared.

quasar
02-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Tried 150 for 200 seconds instead of 180 for 180 and it worked, also moved to black mugs and they are better then blue.
Thanks for all the suggestions

JSR
02-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Can you believe i still have couple of tams here??? :)
I think is only two blue left but hey hooo. they are collectors items this days :cool:
I think I have a red TAMS or two here. I may even have a blue one, and possibly even a gold or silver one (not WOW, obviously) with TAMS on the bottom.