PDA

View Full Version : Black Mugs With White Panel

socialgiraffe
02-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Anyone on here regularly print the black mugs with a white panel?

If so do you use the same settings as for white mugs or do you tweak slightly?

I know suppliers say use the same settings as you would do for white mugs but did that and it was a disaster!!! Took the temp down by 10 degrees and the time by 20 secs and it was "okay"

I think I am doing it right just need confirmation that black mugs are as bad as I think!!!

WorthDoingRight
02-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Well logic says that a black mug will absorb heat better than a white mug - so it stands to reason imho that lower temperature and time may be necessary.

quasar
02-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I have tried one and it worked okay at 180 x 180, my main problam was the logo was too small and the black outer edge didn't quite match the black of the mug

socialgiraffe
02-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Judging by Quasar's comments I suspect I am doing it right, its is simply that black mugs are simply not up to it.

Nevermind, these are for Labrinth and I am not a fan of his sort of music anyway LOL!!!

quasar
02-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I think my error was the logo was primarily dark and so I made the outside dark, I think a more colourful logo might work better. Will try and post result

Reg
02-10-2012, 06:10 PM
I've printed photos and Koolart images @180 for 180 sec with no problems.

socialgiraffe
02-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi Reg

Do you have a picture of one?

In particular I am interested in how close you get the blacks to match?

Reg
02-10-2012, 07:59 PM
This is the only picture I have not a lot of black in it. 1216

quasar
02-10-2012, 08:23 PM
That would solve the problem of matching the black, might have to rethink logo design

WorthDoingRight
02-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Well I think these black mugs with a white panel have been mentioned in a few threads before about not being good sellers (I thought it had something to do with where the white is on the mug.

mrs maggot
02-10-2012, 09:57 PM
the only ones i have ever done, were the same kind of look as reg - ie i used the back to make what i was putting on almost look "poster like" on it, rather than trying to match the black which i thought would be impossible

socialgiraffe
02-10-2012, 10:00 PM
I did a search to see what other threads there were available but nothing that answered my question.

I have a feeling that the mugs are just not as good as anyone would expect. I need to print a logo on the mug and then fill the spare white area with a black to blend in with the actual mug. I know I am not going to get it exact as you can not do this when matching blacks that have been printed two different ways, however I would have expected them to be better than what they are. I can clearly see the difference from half a meter away under awful office lighting.

Think I am going to have to step up the penny saving for the new white laser printing system from TMT. Although they are saying that they are not dishwasher proof, I think I have an idea that will make them so.

Attached is an image (yes I did print it upside down grrrr!) of the result. Not great but will have to do.

WorthDoingRight
02-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Well it looks to me like they are better suited for photographic images than artwork on black background.

socialgiraffe
03-10-2012, 07:48 AM
I think you are right WDR but thought I would see if anyone had any useful tips.

From what is being said I think the only tip is don't sell them :-)

mrs maggot
03-10-2012, 08:45 AM
if time or profit allow, get them printed by listawood or similar - if the customer will accept them like that then you are ok :)

socialgiraffe
03-10-2012, 09:15 AM
If I was to get them screen printed then I would get the done by Prince William (have always found them spot on), but time is always the problem with the music industry.

If Listawoods did them as dye sub then I suspect they would be similar to how I have done them, maybe not as obvious but it would still be there.

jennywren
03-10-2012, 11:13 AM
I have tried the mugs and found that it did not work well for me with the images that they wanted, I gave the customer their money back and the mugs, they were happy, but for me the quality did not matched up to my expectations. I think they might be better screen printed and let someone else have the headache, you could always ask for a sample of it first with a similar image

JMugs
09-11-2012, 08:23 PM
I have just been playing with the black mugs......
Read this first and then worked on it. I would love to post a picture but the artist is VERY hot on copyright so no can do. I will give a broad description, its a very macabre scene based on a bride and "dia del muerte", lots of black, red, blood, roses, grey skulls, masks etc, the picture is truly amazing! But the image is on a black background!
I have got close certainly closer than I have seen else where.
Here is what I have done using Ricoh printer, sawgrass inks, and BMS mugs

Pre warm the mug to 100 degrees in one press, make sure the base is up to temperature.
Add wrap
Place in next press at 170 degrees for 140 seconds, ensuring press comes up to temp before countdown starts.

Now I still have a very slight browning out on the top of the the white band around the mug, but it is slight.

So as I see it, the temp at the bottom of the mug is bang on (it loses heat into the base) the top is still slightly cooked.

Answer....

if the the WHOLE mug could be uniformly just under the start of the sublimation process, then take it up to the sublimation point I may have cracked it. Not perfect but better than anything I have seen else where.

I have posted this in the hope that somebody else will develop this result and post back, if they solve it. In the meantime I will continue working on it!

I am quite anal about researching pitfalls. My whole being screams at me saying these black mugs could be incredible...... but then I could be wrong!

It's Friday, time for HQ to shut down and go for a wine, or three, or four or hic.....

Janners

socialgiraffe
09-11-2012, 08:35 PM
That is interesting Janners and perhaps pre warming them in an over may be the answer.

I just had to do some more black mugs samples today and think the best way is to only sell them with a full colour image as the background and tell the customer that they can not have black backgrounds.

I was not thinking at all what I was doing and pressed the mug @ 190 degrees for 320 seconds. Problem is the mug looked absolutely spot on and I am pretty sure this was because it was a colour image so no need to add a black background.

Have one for me!