PDA

View Full Version : edible printers

smitch6
02-10-2012, 09:40 PM
been thinking about doing edible cake toppers.
a friend is a chef and is a stay at home mum so can't work reg hours so i thought about teaming up with her to do personalised cakes

anyhow anyone got any recommendations for edible ink printers?
A4 or A3 etc canon or epson

thanks steve

Paul
02-10-2012, 09:44 PM
I read some about this.years a go and most of the time canon was mentioned. Inks are cheap so wortho have a go i think :-) if you know someone who bake cakes then nothing to lose :-)

Renniwano
02-10-2012, 09:47 PM
I know BMS do a range of printers and edible ink..

smitch6
02-10-2012, 09:52 PM
i think the common cake size is 9" so i think it'll need to be an A3 printer :(
these aren't cheap annoyingly

socialgiraffe
02-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I know nothing about them, but if you need any help with samples send them down here and I will happily comment on the print quality as long as it is attached to the bottom part :-)

WorthDoingRight
02-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Well if the cake is outside 9" then I am sure an A4 printer would do as the topper doesnt normally go right to the edge. It does seem that Canon printers tend to be favoured.

smitch6
02-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Well if the cake is outside 9" then I am sure an A4 printer would do as the topper doesnt normally go right to the edge. It does seem that Canon printers tend to be favoured.

good thinking :)

WorthDoingRight
03-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Now here is my favourite edible printer:

Ian M
03-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Steve, I would have a chat with Martin at BMS as they have been supplying all the things you would need to be able to do this. Good luck with the venture mate & hope it all goes great. :wink:

Paul
03-10-2012, 09:30 AM
I can see that already. Steve puting some wight on :-)

WorthDoingRight
03-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Well at least if you print an image incorrectly you can eat the evidence - sounds ecologically friendly print method. Paul will just have to hope you dont send him edible paper test sheets for icc profiling as he may eat them before he completes his profile.

Paul
03-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Lol:-)
That would be.brilliant! I actualy willing to try to profile ric paper :-) any one up for free icc???

Scotty@BMS
03-10-2012, 01:17 PM
http://www.printerowners.co.uk/edible-inks/29/1/edible-printing-starter-kits.htm

india
21-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I bought the starter kit from BMS, has no probs as all with it.
The only thing i havent yet worked out is how to cut perfect circles for cupcake toppers??
is there a specific tool??
I have the cameo but not yet used the print and cut facility, would that do it?? i use icing paper mostly but also some rice paper?
thanks

bms
21-10-2012, 05:30 PM
The only thing i havent yet worked out is how to cut perfect circles for cupcake toppers??
I have the cameo but not yet used the print and cut facility, would that do it?? i use icing paper mostly but also some rice paper?
thanks

Decor paper would be fine in the cameo - or you could just lay over a round baking tin and cut around with a sharp knife.

pisquee
22-10-2012, 08:59 PM
I'd go for the tin or plate and cutting round - unless you want to have a cameo dedicated to just food cutting (in terms of hygiene/health & safety)

Limara
22-10-2012, 10:31 PM
thanks
I was looking to purchase one a while back the icing sheets and papers come in a circle and a sheet of small circles for the cupcake size, isnt it a case of template software set up to print the perfect circle rather than cutting the perfect circle?

WorthDoingRight
23-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Well if you print out the circle in the middle of an A4 sheet then you can just kill two birds with one stone and nibble away the excess paper with your teeth - I am sure your clients would appreciate the scalloped edges :rolleyes: lol

I think I had better stick clear of edible printing as I would be so tempted to eat the waste material!

carter2
26-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Canon ip3600 inkjet printer directly from Canon and a full set of Inkedibles refillable edible ink cartridges (1 each compatible Canon PGI-220 Black edible ink cartridge, CLI-221 black edible ink cartridge, CLI-221 cyan edible ink cartridge, CLI-221 magenta edible ink cartridge, CLI-221 yellow edible ink cartridge). The included edible ink cartridges are easily refillable, and the auto-reset chips ensure that your printer will keep printing refill after refill

bms
26-11-2012, 08:42 PM
We had an serious enquiry today to know if the printer made the cake as well. No offence intended if the caller reads this post, but it did make us smile :)

Paul
26-11-2012, 09:29 PM
We had an serious enquiry today to know if the printer made the cake as well. No offence intended if the caller reads this post, but it did make us smile :)
smile?? tell the bloody truth buddy! i bet you still got hot burns after you tea when everywhere lol :D

Craig
26-11-2012, 10:11 PM

Comon Martin I think you should start making the cakes and sending them out with the edible kit after all it is a "Starter kit" lol :wink:

frazzle
26-11-2012, 11:14 PM
My wife makes cakes and makes edible cake toppers. To get the small round toppers you buy them with 12 or 24 already cut on a backing paper by using the software from http://www.deco.uk.com/content/view/101/137/ it prints on the round bits of the topper so no cutting.

Limara
27-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Any one already doing this know how many prints you do get from a set of carts? I have read 80 A4 sheets I would expect to get considerably less ( i havent ever had a canon only epsons so thats being based on epson inks)

frazzle
27-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Dont knowhow many sheets you get because we have bottles of the stuff and just fill them as required, only thing you got to watch is to use the printer at least one a week else the printhead cloggs up and a new printhead is just as expensive as printer.

bms
31-03-2013, 11:17 PM
My wife makes cakes and makes edible cake toppers.

You will be able to do both with this new 'all in one machine'...
http://www.printerowners.co.uk/introducing-the-edi3d-3d-edible-printing-solution.htm

AdamB
01-04-2013, 08:15 AM
http://www.printerowners.co.uk/introducing-the-edi3d-3d-edible-printing-solution.htm

technology certainly improves this time of year Martin ;)
(love it).

AdamB
02-04-2013, 08:08 AM

Spill the beans then Martin - how many fell for this?

purpledragon
02-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Spill the beans then Martin - how many fell for this?
not guilty this year