PDA

View Full Version : Temp for t-shirts

frazzle
05-10-2012, 12:19 PM
After getting good advice for printing mugs that i received from this forum, would like to ask another question, what is the best temp and time for printing t-shirts, and can i use the same paper that i used for the mugs.

A big thank you to all that helped me print the mugs can now get a great looking mug.

Paul
05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
you can start form 185C for 60sec.

frazzle
05-10-2012, 01:05 PM
you can start form 185C for 60sec.

thanks paul

WorthDoingRight
05-10-2012, 02:03 PM
You can only use sublimation inks and paper on polyester shirts. If your shirts are cotton then you will need a different transfer altogether (and in all honesty a different pigment ink printer).

quasar
05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
I use flex on my t shirts and that is 180 for 25 seconds, but they are cotton tshirts

frazzle
05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I use flex on my t shirts and that is 180 for 25 seconds, but they are cotton tshirts

the shirts i have are cotton, i used the same paper as the mugs and it came faint, so what is flex had a look on some sites but it just looked like coloured material

quasar
05-10-2012, 06:54 PM
I use hot flex from a company, I'm not sure I can mention the name, but it is on sticky plastic and you use a cutter to cut the design out and then you press it on. ( after you got rid of the bits that aren't in the pattern)

frazzle
05-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I use hot flex from a company, I'm not sure I can mention the name, but it is on sticky plastic and you use a cutter to cut the design out and then you press it on. ( after you got rid of the bits that aren't in the pattern)

Do you print on it first then cut it out then heat press it.

WorthDoingRight
05-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Hot flex is normally a thin coloured film that you cut your shape or design out of and then heat press on to shirts. Normally it is possible to lay up to 4 layers of flex so it is not used for photographic or high colour designs. Photographic designs need to be printed onto a transfer that you then contor cut to just leave the design which is then heat pressed onto shirts.
There is a flock material called subliflock that you first sublimate your image onto then heat press onto items (BMS) sells this amongst others. Also Simon (Socialgiraffe) I believe has the ability to print a full colour design onto a flex that can then be heat pressed onto a shirt. There are also a few other methods such as the chromablast ink system and Direct-To-Garment (DTG) systems available.

frazzle
05-10-2012, 07:16 PM
This is getting a bit complicated for me, i was on the understanding when i bought this gear it was just like doing mugs, but with a different paper which the site where i bought all the gear did not have any in stock.

Will need to think hard about these t-shirts as to if i carry on or just cut my losses and scrap the lot.

WorthDoingRight
05-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Look, if you buy sublimation t-shirts (polyester) then it is the same inks and paper you have.

http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/85/1/t-shirts.htm - BMS do a range of sublimation t-shirts.

Renniwano
05-10-2012, 07:49 PM
You can purchase sublimatable t-shirts.. then you will be able to print with your paper as you do mugs.. these are polyester or have a very high polyester count..

WorthDoingRight
05-10-2012, 07:54 PM
If you have cotton t-shirts in white or light pastel colours then you can buy 'light' transfer paper that you print normally with 'normal' inks and then you can use scissors to cut around the image and then heat press it on. I use a range of different papers as I have both inkjet and laser printers. A lot of members have had good success with the papers from http://www.yolo.co.uk amongst others.

frazzle
05-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Now where getting some where i better go and get the gear out the skip. So if i get these sublimation t-shirts i can use what i use on the mugs, are these polyester garments just what they are made of or are they coated with some sublimation.

WorthDoingRight
06-10-2012, 12:47 AM
They are normally either fully polyester or sometimes polyester layer over cotton layer. I have done a couple and they come out fine. Only suggestion I have is after you have printed your design mirrored on the paper cut the edge of the paper away just to make sure you dont have ink overspill on the edge from printer as it leaves a very faint border if you do!