PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else using a mug press that you put the mugs in cold?

CarArtz Dave
06-10-2012, 07:16 PM
So I bought the cheapy mug press off ebay.

No pre-heat, and no temp control. You just set the timer, put the mug in the press and switch it on.

My only issue is: light patches on black areas of image.

I can't decide if this means I need more pressure, or longer in the press.

How tight should the clamp really be round the mug. My theory is, that if it's too tight, then the area in the middle (furthest away from the clamping force) will not be as tight as the rest, and not give an even force from paper to mug.

Also, I'm having to set the timer to 380 seconds, which is crazy. I remember my old press (preheat type) when the mugs came out the paper was just starting to turn brown. I don't get that from this one, so maybe I need to leave them in even longer?

I can't wait to be able to afford quality equipment, lol.

Paul
06-10-2012, 07:24 PM
can you provide picture of this press? I am interested how it looks like.

Justin
06-10-2012, 09:26 PM
You don't need to spend big to get a decent mug press, take a look at some of the Suppliers on this forum, £100'ish should do the job :-)

WorthDoingRight
06-10-2012, 09:58 PM
If your mug press only has one temperature and a timer then this is what I do. I place a duff mug inside and set to 180 degrees. Once press hits 180 swap it for the mug you want to sublimate. Once that gets back to 180 degrees then start timer for 180 secs.

letsgo
06-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Even though there no idle temp etc you still need to heat press for 3mins with a dud mug in and then put print mug in restart timer,we have one that we use at shows and never really had a problem with it doing the way i explained.

CarArtz Dave
07-10-2012, 01:27 AM
If your mug press only has one temperature and a timer then this is what I do. I place a duff mug inside and set to 180 degrees. Once press hits 180 swap it for the mug you want to sublimate. Once that gets back to 180 degrees then start timer for 180 secs.

ummm, how can I set it to 180 degrees if I don't have a temp control? lol

CarArtz Dave
07-10-2012, 01:30 AM
can you provide picture of this press? I am interested how it looks like.

There we go. It's actually a really neat we press. Nice and light, very portable.

http://www.carartz.com/other/artz/mpress.jpg

CarArtz Dave
07-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Even though there no idle temp etc you still need to heat press for 3mins with a dud mug in and then put print mug in restart timer,we have one that we use at shows and never really had a problem with it doing the way i explained.

That's great thanks. How long do you toast the real mug for then once you're up to temp? and how much pressure?

mrs maggot
09-10-2012, 01:10 AM
you should not be able to move the mug when its in the press, pressure wise, then it should be around the 180 mark for time

Charlie_
09-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Could you not read the temp using a infra red thermometer?

WorthDoingRight
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
It sounds to me like your press might be in F and not C. See if you can set your press to 360 F (180 C) and if you can then you probably have a F based press. Must presses in C will not got above 200/220 C so if you can set to 360 F and it heats up then definately F based press.