PDA

View Full Version : Startup

joconnell
25-03-2010, 01:15 PM
I am looking at expanding the range of services that I offer and am thinking about embroidery and am looking for some advice.
Basically what machine would you recommend to start with and what cost?
What software would I require and at what cost?
Lastly and more importantly, is it profitable and is there work for this out there?
Many Thanks,
James

jennywren
25-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi I've just started to put things together so what machine ect or if it is profitable I cannot answer that. But the start up cost are quite scary, up to now I've brought machine, threads, hoopmaster, and paid someone to ditize, plus t.shirts caps ect I've yet to earn a penny , but I'll say if you don't try they won't buy. I think embroidery is long term project to make money but I sure you'll get some good advice of the rest of the embrodiers on this forum. Good luck if you do decide to go ahead, sorry I can't advice you on any thing as I know as much as you do,

PhoenixRisen
26-03-2010, 12:48 PM
I have Digitiser Pro software which I bought as the better alternative to that which came with my machine. My machine is not a commercial one but a sewing machine/embroiderer. Anyway, the software was £450-00, and will save digitised images in various formats for other machines including husqvana, brother, singer, janome, with file extensions including: jan, .dst, .pec, .hus For me, the software was easier to get to grips with than the embroidering. :geek:

If you would like me to leave a more comprehensive list of machines/ file endings, leave a message following on from here.

Mal

joconnell
26-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Mal,
I would be interested in what type of machine i.e. make and no. of heads, to start with and what would be the cost.
Also what cost would be for a starter pack of consummables.
Many Thanks

PhoenixRisen
26-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi joconnell - My machine is not a commercial one, and has only one needle and cost me close to £2000-00. A multi-needle machine is definitely a better idea as it would involve less thread changes. A new 12 needle commercial Butterfly would set you back $7999-00. A popular machine, looking at this forum, is a Brother. One of the embroiderers may better advise you on those.

With my software I digitised a couple of designs for someone in America who had a 6-head Tajima.

Mal

pablo
26-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I am just in the process of ordering my first single head machine :shock:

The initial spend is going to be around £9000 plus Vat
and that is with basic software

there is lots of good advice on the t-shirtforums.com embroidery forum

joconnell
26-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Pablo,
What make and what supplier are you looking at.
Thanks,
James

PhoenixRisen
27-03-2010, 12:16 AM
I have just located and downloaded some legitimately free embroidery software. Will be trying it out within next few days & I will post a link.

Mal

PhoenixRisen
27-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi joconnell

Here is a link to the embroidery software I mentioned earlier: http://www.freesierrasoftware.com/dealer.asp

When the page has loaded, scroll down, enter the security code shown and click [NEXT]. Follow the instructions and the download may take some time so I would advise commencing download when you are not likely to be using the computer. The software is Stitch ERA Universal (Express Edition) and is around 372MB in size. I have tried it on my laptop (Acer 5720Z running Windows 7) and it is quite impressive.

Have fun.

Mal

pablo
27-03-2010, 12:56 PM
After a lot of research/dithering I am settled on a Tajima Neo with the pulse software, cap frame added and a fast frame kit.

Stitch Up
03-04-2010, 08:44 AM
I would have posted sooner but been so busy lately.

Good luck with the Tajima, I'm sure it's a good machine.

Be prepared for a very steep learning curve and don't expect to make money from a single head machine. I believe that if you plan making money from a single head machine you must get into a niche low volume market where you can pitch your prices higher. Don't do what we did and go for things like school badges etc. A school badge on a single head machine will take the best part of 45 minutes to stitch out and probably longer if you add in the prep and finishing times. What's more, Tesco are about to enter this arena and can blow us all out the water on price.

Forget auto-digitising. The software might claim it does it, but it doesn't work!

Conversely, if you get any volume orders for badges/patches, out source them to someone like ETC and heat press them to the clothing.

Embroidery is great but do your research, try and add extra value, maybe mixed media - i.e. embroidery + print or rhinestones.

Cheers

John

joconnell
03-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice.
I have had an initial meeting with a sales rep. from GS UK Ltd. At the moment I am looking at Brother PR650. They are always doing deals, either free cap frame or software. He has suggested a trip to their head quarters in Nottingham which I will do before I commit myself. I was a bit disappointed to hear that Tesco are getting into the embroidery which will make it difficult.
Although if they use the same pricing that they use for sublimation products, I think I could compete.
Regards,
James

Stitch Up
04-04-2010, 06:48 PM
GS UK are a good company. Mark is one of their embroidery guys and very enthusiastic :)

Tesco are only entering the school uniform market so don't be too concerned. Tesco are to big and powerful in my opinion. They've driven many farmers to the wall and for that, I refuse to shop there.

The PR650 is a good machine albeit a little slow, make sure it suits your requirements and business plan. With any single head machine, you won't be able to take on larger orders - it just takes to long.

Cheers

John

joconnell
05-04-2010, 10:02 AM
John,
Thanks for your reassurance. I don't intent to go bigtime initially. I would be looking at small business of one up to maybe ten and maybe individual looking at personalising.
Regards,
James

Stitch Up
05-04-2010, 10:14 AM
The personal market is where you win compared to the BIG boys. They can't be ars*d to digitize a logo unless they're gonna turn out 50 plus shirts, anything less and they'll charge you for the design/setup.

Have fun.

John