PDA

View Full Version : Sublimation coating for Blank Polyester

frazzle
09-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Any information on this coating for non Sublimation items.

Andrew
09-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Are you meaning the self applied coating? I have previously tried the spray with average results.

socialgiraffe
09-10-2012, 10:34 PM
I have a can of it here that worked pretty well. Don't use it that much now as there is a lot of faffing around.

WorthDoingRight
10-10-2012, 08:54 AM
I have used the coating from coralgraph, I found that it works best if you do a layer, let it dry then bake in the oven for 10 mins, then after cooling coat it again, leave to dry and then bake a second time. This is I am sure the 'faffing' that Simon mentions. Results this way are good however applying the liquid to an item in such a way as to avoid airborne contamination whilst drying is the issue that I find hard to deal with as I always seem to get something float onto the items

mrs maggot
10-10-2012, 09:16 AM
you mention polyester - do you mean to coat clothing ? i thought polyester clothing did not need any coating on it, but i could be wrong, the coating sprays etc are for hard items i think rather than clothing

WorthDoingRight
10-10-2012, 02:18 PM
I had assumed (maybe wrongly) that he was looking to coat hard items. Laura is right that if the item is already polyester it wont need a coating and if it is cotton then the coatings seen on eBay are probably a scam we decided in an earlier thread.

Paul
10-10-2012, 02:43 PM
You can coat cotton fabric. I have seen tuat you can get greqt results. But i only saw it on the photos so dont know how it perdorm in washing machine etc...

roobear
03-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Got a few bottles of Supergoose coating I got from America years ago.
First time I used it was not very good so I gave up.
Just started experimenting with it again so watch this space

roobear
03-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Ooops I have been told off for being ridiculous and 'digging' up old posts sorry about this one it is now finito

rossdv8
04-08-2013, 06:38 AM
You can coat cotton fabric. I have seen tuat you can get greqt results. But i only saw it on the photos so dont know how it perdorm in washing machine etc...
It is possible but you have to really saturate the cotton and make sure it is dry before sublimating. You need to realise you are sublimating the polyester 'stuff' that is saturated into the cotton - it is impossible to sublimate the cotton itself.
The results are colourful, about like you get on a 50/50 cotton/poly material - maybe a bit brighter really. If you do it right it will not wash out, well, so far my favourite cotton shirt has survived about 100 hot machine washes with detergent and tumble drying and is good as new. Better than any JPSS heat transfers, and better than DTG prints I've seen.

BUT !!!!
It is time consuming. It is hit and miss. If you forget how you got a great result you may take months to reproduce the technique :-(

Definitely not something I would advise for commercial application, but for personal use I print DyeSub into treated cotton as my preference when I need a cotton shirt.1883

This shirt was washed in hot, hot water immediately after pressing and had been horribly abused after that for many washes. It still looks pretty well the same and is worn and washed a couple of times a week.

roobear
04-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Cool. thanks for that Ross.

rossdv8
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I suppose if you plan to experiment with this I should expand.
I have played with an ebay product called PolyTW, which is a liquid you mix with water. I also use a spray on Poly coating that you can buy for coating artworks, like watercolours etc.
In both cases you rig some type of frame so you are only saturating one side of the garment.
Same thing as the PolyTW though, you have to saturate the garment, dry it completely then sublimate.
In both cases you need HIGH pressure. 200 deg Cels for 60 seconds from memory. Also, it is really important to put a teflon or paper sheet between the layers of shirt. If you don;t the image can go through and appear on the back for a few washes.

You can have fun with this, and when you get one that works, the results will amaze you. BUT !! Be prepared to be told it is impossible, it will not work, you cannot do it etc. etc. if you are successful and mention it to anyone :-) And also remember you are not 'sublimating cotton', just the same as when you sublimate a ceramic mug you are not sublimating the ceramic, you are sublimating a polymer treatment.