PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed!!!

mbetts1976
10-10-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm venturing into the frustrating world of mug and T-Shirt printing, so far i've purchased a 400mm x 450mm flatbed heat-press for T-Shirts etc. a mug oven, JML type I think, and a Mug Wrap, metal surround type with a hinged closing mechanism.

I'm currently using an OKI Laser Printer with YOLO transfer papers but am in the process of converting my Epson to Sublimation Inks through a CISS system, more heart-ache to follow I think!

First problem, I've wasted loads of mugs, about 20 and am not getting a satisfactory print it either has a mottled effect, which i've rectified slightly by decreasing the pressure of the grip, but don't want to over do it as i'm concerned there won't be enough contact between the paper and the mug, and also need advice on the best techniques for removing YOLO mug n more paper without taking off the print, i'm currently cooking the mug in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes at 200 degrees.

Next problem, any good advice on getting consistant prints off of YOLO transfer papers onto white and dark t-shirts, again i've wasted loads of t-shirts and am getting increasingly frustrated not knowing if it's substandard paper or just a total lack of ability, although I suspect the latter!

I've just purchased a sheet of PTFE from YOLO, but am yet to use it for T-Shirts, is this going to help?

Will my problems ease if I rush through converting to the Sublimation Process or am I just doomed to a few more months of trial and error?

Any help will be gratefully received,

Regards,

Martin.

:-D

Paul
10-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Tbh i dont understand whats the problem really is...
You need to tell.us whats wrong with mugs. Pictures would help...
Also yolo papers are best on the market i would say and i am sure if there is any problem tuen this mst be more.pilot problem :-)

All the best and waiting for more info ;-)

mbetts1976
10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
The mugs are very difficult to unwrap after cooking, also parts of the image come off, little dots not in any consistant pattern just random parts of the mug, I think i'm taking too long during the unwrapping process? the paper just doesn't come off in one easy motion like you see in the videos, and theres a pattern which I can best describe as mottled, which like I said is alleviated when I decrease the pressure of the mug wrap on the mug, i'm using a piece of PTFE paper as a buffer between the wrap and the contact paper.

This is my main problem at the moment, like you said is probably pilot error, but i'm literally just learning to fly! :-)

I'll try and upload some pix after work, thanks for your help.

Paul
10-10-2012, 12:13 PM
This is not sublimatio is it? You on about laser transfer?

mbetts1976
10-10-2012, 12:17 PM
At the moment, i'm using an OKI A4 Laser Printer with YOLO Mug n More paper, but I am going to be converting my Epson DX7400 to CISS, i've got the kit installed but am having a few head cleaning issues, out of interest do I need to keep the silicone plugs in or use the supplied air filters, the kit came with diddly squat instructions!

Paul
10-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Ohhhhhh.... So thtas explain image comming off....
I thought laser transfer need.more heat. But i dont know much about this method. Sorry.

mbetts1976
10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Ok thanks for your help, i'm sure i'll have plenty of questions once the Sublimation Process is up and running, by the way, i'm also new to this forum, but I read somewhere that there's a selling page? But I couldn't find it.

socialgiraffe
10-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Paul, thats probably why you are a supermoderator of the DYE SUB forum LOL!!!!

Not sure on what is happening with your mugs either as I ditched this method several years ago due to the same problem and also I do not think the mugs are dishwasher safe. My suggestion here would be to get your dye sub ink in the epson and try a mug that way. If you still experience problems then the likes of myself, paul, and many others will be in a position to help you. The dye sub way is far easier to get right and it is the better way to go.

With regards to your garments, I would suggest the following:

Set your heat press to heavy pressure

Place your garment under the press and pre heat it for about 10 seconds to get all the moisture and creases out

Place your transfer on top of the garment and press for the recommended amount of time and the recommended temperature. You should be able to find this on the suppliers website.

Once pressed peel off the transfer in one easy and consistent speed

Hey presto your garment looks perfect.... or not!

mbetts1976
10-10-2012, 12:50 PM
I will convert to the Epson ASAP, do I need the silicone plugs in the print head?

quasar
10-10-2012, 01:18 PM
You need the filters in

Paul
10-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Not in th print head. You need cartridges there :-)

WorthDoingRight
10-10-2012, 03:27 PM
No, the word 'filter' snuck into another thread! I have an OKI laser printer and tried the mugsnmore paper out, once I had found how to actually get it to feed without melting I got an image that following the guidelines washed straight back off the item lol I found that longer pressing and higher temperature was needed to get the transfer to stick to my substrate. The results however pushed me back to sublimating tiles instead as they just looked superior and I suspect would last a lot longer in daily use. I have not tried yolos laser transfer t-shirt paper but Paul is right in saying that the neenah papers are well regarded on most forums and I suspect this is probably down to not finding the 'sweet spot' for pressing.