PDA

View Full Version : Posting Tips.

Mossy88
12-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I have recently just started sublimation and had a few orders sent out with RM i package them in bubble wrap then put them into posting boxes from bms.

The customer has told me that both mugs received were broken :S

Any tips on the best way to pack them?

Thank you

socialgiraffe
12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I use the European Extra white cheapies from BMS and also their polystyrene mug boxes. I have never put them back in the bubble wrap and have never had any returned broken. Not sure on how many I have sent out as individuals like this (BMS might be able to confirm how many polystyrene boxes I have purchased over the last 8 months) but I suspect its over 500.

I think you just got unlucky.

Also, ask the customer to send photos of the mug and also the packaging just in case they are trying it on.

Paul
12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
get some smash proof boxes... they are tank and postman proof!

Mossy88
12-10-2012, 02:51 PM
It was just the cardboard ones i was using. Polystyrene boxes the way to go then.

socialgiraffe
12-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Without a shadow of a doubt. I have seen somewhere a cardboard box that is postage safe but have never tried them. At approx 30p a box on 100 I have never needed to look elsewhere.

smitch6
12-10-2012, 08:04 PM
i have only ever had 1 broken and i use bubble wrap and cardboard boxes.... but don't use the bubble wrap with the big bubbles it wants to be the small bubbles.
the 1 that was broken i asked for a picture to prove it, she said oh ok but as i said i would replace it only once i'd seen the damage.
after 2 weeks i finally got a picture and you could see it hadn't been done in the post
but hey ho

mrs maggot
12-10-2012, 08:30 PM
i use the poly mail boxes, and then pop them into a sealed bag, and i have had one broken, although when i asked for a photo, it was impossible for them to send to me ?? i said i needed that for my claim, and they said "the chip is so small we will just live with it" which i think sums up why we need to always ask for proof of things arriving damaged

Mossy88
13-10-2012, 12:42 AM
My customer offered to show me a photo, before i opened it i was just expected a handle to be broken, but both mugs where in bits looked like someone had smashed them onto the floor. I was quite shocked, so i don't no what happen as i thought i packed them quite well. i Think i will have to go with the polys and just use the boxes for people pick up.

socialgiraffe
13-10-2012, 09:38 AM
I recently run out of polystyrene boxes and had to send out about 10 individual mugs.

I wrapped these in bubble wrap and the final package was a big ball that was about 30cm in diameter. Plus they had the FRAGILE tape all over. Even then one arrived damaged. Polystyrene (or equivalent) boxes are the only way to send them IMHO

purpledragon
13-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I recently run out of polystyrene boxes and had to send out about 10 individual mugs.

I wrapped these in bubble wrap and the final package was a big ball that was about 30cm in diameter. Plus they had the FRAGILE tape all over. Even then one arrived damaged. Polystyrene (or equivalent) boxes are the only way to send them IMHO
I agree , we tested the poly boxs to destruction (to my daughters delight) we threw it from upstairs windows then used it as a football which my dogs enjoyed thourughly i kicked they fetched after half an hour the poly boxs broke up somewhat but the mug inside stayed intact . Just a note here i know a few postmen and all say what ever you do dont put fragile opn a packet its like a red rag to a bull in the sorting office instead of getting careful treatment it gets worse thats their opinion i suppose they would know !

Mossy88
26-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi again,

I got a batch of polyboxes and everything has been ok since, but today I had an email from a customer saying her mug handle was broken. I don't no to believe her or not but i did ask for a photo. This is quite frustrating can royal mail do anything about broken items?

WorthDoingRight
26-10-2012, 03:53 PM
LINK_HERE (http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/refunds-and-compensation/damaged-item-compensation/damaged-items) for Royal Mail’s retail compensation policy for damage

Ian M
26-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I use the smash proof boxes from Subli Metals & have had just 2 breakages from the thousands I have sent out over the years. I have used these boxes to send mugs out all over the world & never had a problem. The 2 breakages I had were both delivered within the UK & that was a few years ago. Quite a few of my last orders have gone as far as Australia, Japan & USA & all have arrived like new.

frazzle
26-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Royal Mail are a waste of time when it comes to claims, last time they lost a item they wanted me to inclose invoices for the raw materials my profit margin and my labour costs all for a claim that they had lost the parcel it was worth £15, i now use a courier and the very odd item goes by royal mail.

Martinx
26-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Bubble wrap and Poly boxes all day long!

Mossy88
26-10-2012, 04:17 PM
LINK_HERE (http://www.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-customers/refunds-and-compensation/damaged-item-compensation/damaged-items) for Royal Mail’s retail compensation policy for damage

Thanks for the link,

I thought it was odd as i have tested the boxes myself and they work great so i don't no how it could of broke. I'm still awaiting a reply from the customer so no photo yet.

I would like to use courier but the pricing is a bit to much for me at the moment.

Mossy88
26-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Bubble wrap and Poly boxes all day long!

Do you bubble wrap it then put it in the polys? I just put them in as they are didn't look like it would fit with bubble wrap too?

Martinx
26-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Do you bubble wrap it then put it in the polys? I just put them in as they are didn't look like it would fit with bubble wrap too?

Yes that's it. I really like the bubble wrap bags that come with the mugs from BMS.

socialgiraffe
26-10-2012, 04:25 PM
I just put them in as they are no bubble wrap as it takes too much time :frown:.

Mossy, it could have been a faulty mug. Very rarely you do get them. To be honest you will find that sending in the poly boxes in general will not cause you problems. Maybe one in a hundred and I think that is an exaggeration. Perhaps you just got unlucky with one of your first mugs.

WorthDoingRight
26-10-2012, 04:27 PM

Perhaps he uses bubble wrap on the outside?

Mossy88
26-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Maybe just a one of then a weak handle or something. Had no other breakages as of yet so i hope its the only one from what i sent out.