PDA

View Full Version : Mug Wrap

jamesawol
16-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Sorry if there has been a post to this effect already, but can anyone recommend a good mug wrap for use in an oven?

WorthDoingRight
16-10-2012, 04:09 PM
BMS sells the 'Cactus Wrap' and an alternative version on their site.

So take a look here http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/179/1/mug-press.htm

Not much to go wrong with a mug wrap if tightened correctly and baked for long enough.

SciArtImages
17-10-2012, 09:04 AM
I use the standard mug clamps in a halogen oven and have had great results.

http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/657/mug-clamp-80mm.htm

Hope this helps,

Neil.

jamesawol
18-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give them a go.

GoldRapt
18-10-2012, 05:56 PM
BMS sells the 'Cactus Wrap' and an alternative version on their site.

So take a look here http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/179/1/mug-press.htm

Not much to go wrong with a mug wrap if tightened correctly and baked for long enough.
I wonder if anyone who has used these knows if there is any off gassing involved?

GoldRapt
01-11-2012, 06:26 PM
No One? or is the oven concerned the Halogen type?

WorthDoingRight
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
As far as I know you can use gas,electric or halogen ovens to 'cook' the items. I think Tony the confusion is what you meant by off gassing? Did you mean is gas given off or something else?

GoldRapt
01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Sorry mate, if you use certain non food items in a family oven and cook, like glass paint for example it gives off heat and gas as the item "offgasses" .

This means that the oven can never be used for cooking items for human consumption.

I'm currently looking into changing my mug press, I fancy using a halogen oven but don't know what wraps to get or where from ( I prefer some form of adjustable wrap for different size vessels...Glass and Ceramic) Martins site is sold out of cactus wrap for exampe.

SciArtImages
01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I use a halogen oven with wraps, but keep that oven just for mugs - like you I would be concerned that I would end up eating something strange.

Neil.

GoldRapt
01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Where would you go if you needed new wraps please Neil (BMS being out of stock) and do you do say bone china or other non standard shapes?

WorthDoingRight
02-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Halogen ovens are cheap I think sub-£30 if you look around. I use a small grill oven that cost me £15 to bake my tiles in. Just need to keep an eye out in the press or your local aldi/lidl or bargain type stores.

You could I suppose buy the cactus wraps from the states or ask BMS when they are next to be likely getting any stock in. Otherwise maybe a silicon baking sheet and a couple of big jubilee clips would work?

GoldRapt
02-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the response

SciArtImages
02-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Tony,
I only do standard sized mugs and use the clamps from BMS I linked to previously (they are currently showing in stock). I don't know where you will be able to get other types from though, sorry.

Neil.

GoldRapt
02-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Ah, I thought you meant cactus wraps neil.

Renniwano
02-11-2012, 03:32 PM
I have tried wraps from elsewhere and always use my BMS ones.. as they are the easiest and quickest to open when boiling hot.. I have one with a screw clasp (ebay purchase) fastening and I hate using it.. always takes me an age to get it undone.

I also use a halogen oven.. and only use it for mugs.. I did wonder about gassing too so thought it would be the safest option just not to risk it..

GoldRapt
02-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks, hopefully Martin checks his emails...or maybe he is away.