PDA

View Full Version : help required please

Burrelly7
17-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Please see the picture below for the problem I'm encountering.

the bottom of the mug is fading quite badly at the bottom edge of the mug. The top is fine and the mug is perfectly central in the press. Is it a pressure thing?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u211/burrelly7/cdce4779cd25d68dc0cd238d659b1ffa.jpg

Justin
17-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Could well be the pressure on the mug, you need it nice and tight so you can see the edge of the blanket curl slightly over the edge of the mug. Position in the mug press may also be a factor, too low in the blanket etc.

May also be the quality of the mug, you can do a quick test by putting 2 mugs together and see how big the gap is between the bottoms, I'd expect a little but not too much, all mugs taper a little at the bottom.....some more than others!

You can also possibly try printing upside down in the press :-)

socialgiraffe
18-10-2012, 01:55 AM
It could also be a temperature problem with the base of the mug. You can try putting boiling hot water in the mug for a few minutes prior to wrapping and printing.

rusko
18-10-2012, 04:18 AM
Try bringing your image up little from the bottom looks like you got a little bump right at the edge of the cup it looks like your not getting enough pressure at that section of the cup. Bring your image up from the bottom and apply a little more pressure

mrs maggot
18-10-2012, 08:58 AM
It could also be a temperature problem with the base of the mug. You can try putting boiling hot water in the mug for a few minutes prior to wrapping and printing.

i would go with that too - its worth people remembering, if they keep their mugs in a shed/garage/ or even on the floor they will be cold (and getting colder) now the weather has turned, sometimes i warm them in a low oven or i will put hot water in them first (just be carful not to then get water on the outside when you put the paper on)

quasar
18-10-2012, 08:59 AM
I had this problem and somewhere here I read a post suggesting turning the mug half way through the pressing. I do this for all larger images and it works well for me

WorthDoingRight
18-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Any image that goes fully to the bottom of a mug has the potential for issues. The safest way to avoid these issues is to avoid trying to print right to the bottom and leave a 5mm gap. If you just have to have it right to the bottom then trying the tips posted before 'might' get you the result you require.

purpledragon
18-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Jumping in here with a possible soloution theres a sayin that ive quoteded many times before you get what you pay for1 althopugh giraffes and mrs maggot are absouloutly right preheating the mug may help but if you had a run of a hundred or so id think this would soon become impracticle i wouldnt mind guessing the mug press is is on the average side of expensive ive seen a lot worse so i stop short of cheap chinease crap (i may be wrong happy to be corrected) Personally i use a press that cost a bloody fortune compared to some on the market. Its built like the proverbial brick house my work shop is bloody freezing ask the penguins that live in there and damps bloody awful again the wealth of arctic fish that swim around my wall will tell you this yet i get perfect top to bottom prints every time so in my humble opinion its either the mugs you are using or the press or a combination of both.
If you are getting cheap mugs from somewhere take some advice and buy mugs recommended by the more experianced on here it'll save you a lot of hasstle in the long run though you may have to readjust your pricing structure accordingly . Or if its the press i suggest avoiding top to bottom prints for the meantime get some dosh together and buy a more robust press :)

Andrew
18-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I personally would say pressure needs to be upped a bit to get the heat into the base better. Extra time/temp will often cure this as well but if it is the pressure not being enough to have the element in direct contact with the curve on the base then just more temp will struggle. It could be a combination of the above 3. How straight is the mug at the base? Where are they bought from? Is the pressure firm on the press and element in good condition? Current time/temp/printer being used? All of these things are factors as to which is the exact problem. From the looks of it though, it should be sorted fairly easily as it doesn't look to far off fully printing.

purpledragon
18-10-2012, 10:29 AM
I personally would say pressure needs to be upped a bit to get the heat into the base better. Extra time/temp will often cure this as well but if it is the pressure not being enough to have the element in direct contact with the curve on the base then just more temp will struggle. It could be a combination of the above 3. How straight is the mug at the base? Where are they bought from? Is the pressure firm on the press and element in good condition? Current time/temp/printer being used? All of these things are factors as to which is the exact problem. From the looks of it though, it should be sorted fairly easily as it doesn't look to far off fully printing.
Kind of agree with that it doesnt look like the streaky effect you get from cheap presses so id go down the route of the mugs maybe

rusko
19-10-2012, 02:52 AM
Like said earlier It is a minor adjustment in your image,spacing from the bottom and top edge of the cup and applying a little more pressure on the cup you should be alright

Martinx
19-10-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm in agreement with a few comments here. I would always allow a 5-6mm gap top and bottom. I think it looks much neater as well.

RogerC
19-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Looks like a mat pressure thing to me. I had a similar problem to this and upped the pressure. Just make sure the paper is nicely squeezed around the top and bottom of the mug and if you're lucky (like I was) the image will be fine.

jennywren
19-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Any image that goes fully to the bottom of a mug has the potential for issues. The safest way to avoid these issues is to avoid trying to print right to the bottom and leave a 5mm gap. If you just have to have it right to the bottom then trying the tips posted before 'might' get you the result you require.

As a few of the other have stated this is possible the best route to go down, better a small gap then another unsaleable mug that your stuck with. I have a good mug press and a cheap one, both work well with the 5mm gap. I do a 5mm gap at the top to safe as I already have more than enough mugs than I could possible drink out and also my friends

Burrelly7
19-10-2012, 06:06 PM
thanks for the replies everyone. I increased the pressure and its better thanks. still I little vague at the very bottom edge but that's due to shape of the mug.
Thanks very much for all your help

zai2289
25-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Purpledragon - do you mind me asking which mug press you use - i'm looking to upgrade as have a middling priced one at the moment. Thanks

Ian M
25-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Purpledragon - do you mind me asking which mug press you use - i'm looking to upgrade as have a middling priced one at the moment. Thanks

Katya, BMS sell some very good mug presses & you can find them here http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/179/1/mug-press.htm