PDA

View Full Version : Blank Patches ?

Kahboose
19-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Hi Guys
Sorry for invading the Embroidery forum but needed some advice/help please.

I only pretty much use vinyl flex and had a request to put a design in vinyl flex on a patch.
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good cheap reliable supplier in the UK if possible please.

Im based in Wolverhampton if anyone knows anywhere local or if not Mail Order will be fine.

Thanks.

ps
Just out of interest could someone give me an idea on a price to have a 2 color embroidery logo done on a patch (per patch) I haven't a clue on if its expensive to set up the design to embroider or what's involved any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Lee

ASO Embroidery
19-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Hi Lee,
In the past I have used Golden finishes for pathes more for embroidery but I should think these would be suitable for tranfer flex. Not sure about prices check the website you may have to phone probably depends on what sort of quntity your after as well. Without seeing the design its difficult to quote you normally have a digitizing charge for that and if i was putting it on a polo or similar garment I usually charge about £3.00 per item but without seeing the design size etc. etc and not knowing the prices of the pathes myself please dont hold me to that if you want to e.mail me the design to have a look at i could give you a better idea.

Regards,
Sammy.

logobear
20-10-2012, 11:06 AM
Golden finishes are also available through PenCarrie, rallawise etc,
OR
you can just get some canvas, and put it through a roll interlocker to make them yourself.

Earl Smith
22-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Golden finishes are also available through PenCarrie, rallawise etc,
OR
you can just get some canvas, and put it through a roll interlocker to make them yourself.

I make a lot of patches and usually edge them with a double width satin stitch. Im never really happy with this but my customers dont know better. Ive looked at the Mellor machines but they are a bit pricey for the quantity I produce. What is a roll interlocker and where can I find them?

I charge around the same a ASO for my smaller patches with embroidery. Depends on quantity though.

WorthDoingRight
22-10-2012, 10:37 AM
I make a lot of patches and usually edge them with a double width satin stitch. Im never really happy with this but my customers dont know better. Ive looked at the Mellor machines but they are a bit pricey for the quantity I produce. What is a roll interlocker and where can I find them?

I charge around the same a ASO for my smaller patches with embroidery. Depends on quantity though.

Maybe he means a Roll hem overlocker?

Earl Smith
22-10-2012, 12:49 PM
http://www.goldenfinishes.com/blog/post/2012/08/17/Difference-printed-embroidered-badges.aspx
Just received this email from Golden Finishes. Maybe this is helpful.

WorthDoingRight
22-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Well, I must try to get a couple of sample badges to try embroidery on as they look good and I have some of the iron on backing to attach them to items.

logobear
22-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Yes,
roll hem overlocker, got a Toyota setup 3 thread for just over 200 pounds. you need to use thick thread for the best result, and it will only do straight edges.
It has paid for itself a many times over in less than a year....

WorthDoingRight
22-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Yes,
roll hem overlocker, got a Toyota setup 3 thread for just over 200 pounds. you need to use thick thread for the best result, and it will only do straight edges.

So other than making badges for embroidery what other uses have you put it to? Also what material do you use for the badge background?

logobear
22-10-2012, 05:49 PM
we buy polyester locally, sublimate or embroider, stiffen with a press on backing, end edge.
sometimes use badging felt for embroidery.
It is only for edging .... or edging!

WorthDoingRight
22-10-2012, 08:47 PM
we buy polyester locally, sublimate or embroider, stiffen with a press on backing, end edge.
sometimes use badging felt for embroidery.
It is only for edging .... or edging!

Well, I can see the use of an overlocker for making badges. Always wanted one when I used to machine knit but never got around to buying one. Sublimating polyester and then maybe embroidering on top sounds interesting. Infact it sounds like it has lots of potential!

logobear
23-10-2012, 12:59 AM
you can sub on top of embroidery too ..... ( but don't tell anyone ....)

WorthDoingRight
23-10-2012, 10:46 AM
you can sub on top of embroidery too ..... ( but don't tell anyone ....)

Your secret is safe as no one reads these threads lol

draig
23-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Yes,

Commonly known as Bulk Overlock thread in the trade. (Chris used to be a Sewing Machine Engineer many moons ago - until Laura Ashley outsourced to Hungary etc)
I have a Rimoldi 4 thread overlock, which he acquired for me (bit of big beast though).

Sharon

Earl Smith
29-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes,

Hi Logobear.
Q1, Do you stitch a satin stitch around the patch, cut it out and then over lock the edge or do you overlock a blank edge.?
Q2. Do you have a www. of the model that you use? Loads of info on the net but all leading the wrong way... I even see them on the Tescos site....
Thanks Earl.

logobear
30-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Toyota SL1 series. you need to buy the roll hem attachment as an optional extra
we just overlock a blank edge

Earl Smith
30-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks , I will look into it.
http://www.home-sewing.com/epages/homesewing.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/homesewing/Categories/%22Our%20Catalogue%20%26%20Manuals%22/Overlockers
Found this site and now waiting for a reply...

WorthDoingRight
30-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Brother does one with the rolled hem facility built in:

http://www.brothermachines.com/show_product.asp?id=786

In UK available for £189 (or less)

mrs maggot
31-10-2012, 09:26 AM
i am about to dig my overlocker out of a cupboard, back in the day when i made clothes for everyone i knew, fancy dress, wedding dresses, suits, anything and everything, then i got sidetracked by life in the corporate world for a few years, now i am back working for myself, its time to dig it out and have a play

WorthDoingRight
31-10-2012, 10:52 AM
It is amazing how a simple enquiry about badges for embroidery has set so many of us on the idea of having a go ourselves. Well an overlocker will have to sit on my wanted list a bit longer but would be interested to know how the rest of you get on who own an overlocker.

logobear
31-10-2012, 11:53 AM
It started for me when a good client wanted to logo a large number of fleeces, and didn't want embroidery .....
WE experimented, and learnt how to make our own badges, last months order was a little over £1500 !
The edging is the most time consuming aspect, I have learnt to lay the prints out in straight lines, and do as many as possible in a run on 2 sides, finally cutting them out into singles to do the other 2 edges. It is a noisy operation, get headphones !

Earl Smith
31-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Is it noisier than running embroidery machines 8 hours a day?

WorthDoingRight
31-10-2012, 01:01 PM
It started for me when a good client wanted to logo a large number of fleeces, and didn't want embroidery .....

Do I assume from this that you sublimated the logo onto polyester and then edged them with your overlocker to create your badges and that you then 'glued' them in place?

mrs maggot
31-10-2012, 05:54 PM
WDR I print patches now, lots of them, and i import a few hundred embroidered ones every year as well, but the number of pre-made patch shapes seem to be decreasing everytime i want to order, so i guess in the end the make them yourself side will win out -

GoldRapt
01-11-2012, 09:20 AM
WE experimented, and learnt how to make our own badges, last months order was a little over £1500 !
The edging is the most time consuming aspect, I have learnt to lay the prints out in straight lines, and do as many as possible in a run on 2 sides, finally cutting them out into singles to do the other 2 edges. It is a noisy operation, get headphones !

Pictures for those that don't understand would be nice, I'm probably the only one who doesn't though :-)

logobear
01-11-2012, 10:52 AM
HI,
sorry, no pictures.
Yes - I buy 100% poliester fabric for about £10 a m (60" wide)
print on my sub badges, then stiffen with badge stiffener, then overlock the edges, cutting up as I edge

WorthDoingRight
01-11-2012, 11:29 AM
WDR I print patches now, lots of them, and i import a few hundred embroidered ones every year as well, but the number of pre-made patch shapes seem to be decreasing everytime i want to order, so i guess in the end the make them yourself side will win out -

Thanks Laura, I can see this method of edging them yourselves would suit my type of embroidery machine work where I could hoop the basic material, embroider my design and then edge accurately.

WorthDoingRight
01-11-2012, 11:31 AM
HI,
sorry, no pictures.
Yes - I buy 100% poliester fabric for about £10 a m (60" wide)
print on my sub badges, then stiffen with badge stiffener, then overlock the edges, cutting up as I edge

Thanks for this information - much appreciated

WorthDoingRight
01-11-2012, 11:41 AM
I would imagine that to make embroidered badges you could infact embroider a satin stitch border around your text or logo and then carefully cut around this edge. I would then turn the item over and remove as much stabiliser as possible. Finally I would paint the badge back with a thin layer of PVA adhesive to stiffen and seal it.

I will have to give this a go on my machine and see what the end result is like.

Earl Smith
01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
To make my embroidered patches I buy Twilly from Gunold, its a denim weight cotton. Its 40cm wide and 10mtrs long. Costs 36€ plus tax. No backing is needed to embroider , its stable enough. Embroider name , logo or whatever and then a 3mm satin stitch around the border. In a jacket back frame I make as many patches as will fit in the frame. This is all digitised in my software. Then I cut them out and use a small burner to slightly burn the edges to stop them fraying. For the glue I use the special glue on a roll from Madiera. This is applied with a heat press being careful as its temp and time sensative.
Recent jobs are 400 name patches 8x3cm and 10 large patches 32x22. The big one took nearly 4 hours each to do.

DS Designs
01-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Hi all, I tend to buy the ready range badges from GF, but keen on doing my own different sizes. Just wondering where I would get the badge stiffner from...links would be great :)

Thanks

Dave

WorthDoingRight
01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi all, I tend to buy the ready range badges from GF, but keen on doing my own different sizes. Just wondering where I would get the badge stiffner from...links would be great :)

Thanks

Dave

Only item I could find was this - wonder if this is the right stuff LINK_HERE (http://www.gs-ukdirect.com/56-woven-badge-stiffener)

DS Designs
01-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for that, it sounds like the right stuff lol

derekwolves
13-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi Lee i am starting to do badges in the next 2 weeks just waiting for material from USA then i off and running.i will be able to do customized badges 6-100 any shape depending on size a standard patch that you can heatpress on would start at £3 ea (stitch count ) if you wont to send me a pic i will have a look for you.PS if i have to digitize it there would be a fee for that one off.