PDA

View Full Version : Alternative tape for mug press

Jen
24-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi,

I was told I could use masking tape to hold my design in place while in the mug press and it worked, but I've found it really difficult to get the sticky residue off. Has anyone got any tips on getting this off easily and should I be even using masking tape?

thank you,
Jen :)

WorthDoingRight
24-10-2012, 10:32 AM
The simple answer is no. There are two type of heat reistant tape on sale for sublimation purposes. These are often known as 'green' or 'brown' tape. The brown tape is preferable as it has a higher melting point and I find leaves no residue on mugs. The 'green' tape can melt slightly in a mug press and needs residue removing.

The 'brown' tape is so cheap it makes no sense to waste time with masking tape or 'green' variety.

So for example here is the 1st eBay supplier I found for the 'brown' polyamide heat tape http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Resistant-High-Temperature-Adhesive-Tape-Dye-Sublimation-Mug-Print-5mm-/120955177666?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c297d8ac2 33m long roll of 5mm wide for £1.85 delivered. Probably even cheaper if you bought more or did a better search. You use approx 2 pieces of 2.5cms per mug to hold the paper - so at my calculation 1 roll should do in excess of 600 mugs!

Paul
24-10-2012, 10:40 AM
People shoud get shoot for advice like that lol!
Get brown tape as wdr recommend. Cheap and last ages....

socialgiraffe
24-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Hi Jen

WDR is correct, 10 rolls of brown tape 5mm wide (which is more than adequate for mugs) is only £10.99 for 10 rolls from "SUBLIMATOR" on ebay so there is absolutely no point in trying anything cheaper. I have purchased from him and found that delivery is normally next day if I purchase in the morning.

I have found the green tape is stronger and I use that for things like photo slates. I get this from BMS

WorthDoingRight
24-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I have found the green tape is stronger and I use that for things like photo slates. I get this from BMS

Never tried the 'green' polyester tape myself - when you say stronger do you mean sticks better or more tear resistant?

Jen
24-10-2012, 11:10 AM
I best find myself a hitman!Don't suppose anyone has any tips for getting my design perfectly straight too do they? The ones so far have been ok, but I want them to be bang on perfect. If you're going to do something...

WorthDoingRight
24-10-2012, 11:23 AM
I best find myself a hitman!Don't suppose anyone has any tips for getting my design perfectly straight too do they? The ones so far have been ok, but I want them to be bang on perfect. If you're going to do something...

If your design is printed onto your sublimation paper straight then if you cut the paper the correct distance from the bottom of the image so that if it is wrapped around the mug the edge of the paper is exactly at the bottom of the mug then it should go on perfectly.

Justin
24-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I switched to brown tape a while back having used green for many years. The green often used to leave a little residue/colouring on some items but the brown having a higher melting temp. works a treat.

WorthDoingRight
24-10-2012, 12:07 PM
I think we should clarify that the 'brown' tape we are talking about is not 'brown' parcel tape! So please do not use sellotape, masking tape or parcel tape in sublimation - they may melt and if not they will leave a residue!

Andrew
24-10-2012, 12:22 PM
I am surprised at so many outright "No" answers for masking tape when we use this day in day out as our prefered choice and it works perfectly fine. You just have to know which one leaves no residue. So whoever gave the OP the info was correct, just should have indicated which tape works without leaving residue.

Sounds like the brown tape is a safe bet though. Can't say I am keen on the very thin stuff myself as it curls up easily and can be fiddly.

socialgiraffe
24-10-2012, 01:07 PM
WDR, I find that the green tape has a better adhesive. When sublimating things like photo slates I prefer this tape as the image stays in the place I put it. Brown tape seems to peel off easily.

Andrew, you are right about brown tape, but I only use it for mugs so do not have a problem with it. Have it on a tape dispenser to make things easier though. I am also surprised that you have masking tape that leaves no residue and holds to whatever you are pressing. Have you used masking tape for mugs? I have no intention to switch as the price of a roll of tape is £2.00 ish. But it is worth knowing should I ever run out of tape and need something desperately.

Justin, I have never had a problem with the green leaving residue, only the price LOL!!!!

JEN, as WDR says, if you cut the image perfectly then you will find it easier to position on whatever you are pressing. Equal top and bottom and sides will help you position everything perfect

WorthDoingRight
24-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Well using masking tape is in my humble opinion like suggesting people can sublimate t-shirts using a clothes iron - probably would do the job but cannot be guaranteed and more hassle than it is worth.

The polyamide 'brown' tape is so cheap that not to use it makes no sense.

Andrew
24-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Well using masking tape is in my humble opinion like suggesting people can sublimate t-shirts using a clothes iron - probably would do the job but cannot be guaranteed and more hassle than it is worth.

The polyamide 'brown' tape is so cheap that not to use it makes no sense.

We had a busy month back in August and printed 25,000 mugs using masking tape. I would like to see the same volume of t-shirts printed with an iron ;-)

WorthDoingRight
24-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Andrew, I have no issues with the fact that you use masking tape. I am just saying that for those beginning it is likely to be a lot less hassle to buy the 'brown' tape.

Andrew
24-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Not sure why it would be a lot easier if the correct masking tape works well. Plenty of rubbish green/brown heat tapes out there as well. Some of the green tapes we have had in the past at £6 per roll were awful for leaving marks. I have had new guys starting work on mug printing over the last year and all of them have used masking tape. If it works........ it works, simple as that imo.

Paul
24-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I had some green one and had this same problem. Also masking tape.didnt work for me.

Fordy
24-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I use the 5mm brown heat tape from ebay and I've had no problems whatsoever. Whack it in a tape dispenser to save fiddling around and fold over the end of one of your strips to make it easier to peel off after pressing.

WorthDoingRight
24-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Not sure why it would be a lot easier if the correct masking tape works well. Plenty of rubbish green/brown heat tapes out there as well. Some of the green tapes we have had in the past at £6 per roll were awful for leaving marks. I have had new guys starting work on mug printing over the last year and all of them have used masking tape. If it works........ it works, simple as that imo.

Well, perhaps you can advise us on which masking tape is suitable as this would help all of us out if we run out of 'brown/green' tape.

I do not use masking tape or 'green' tape as I know they 'can' leave a residue. I have never had any residue issues using 'brown' tape. I am more than willing to accept that there may be a brand or two of suitable masking tape out there but without knowing the brand I do feel it is not a good general suggestion saying 'you can use (any) masking tape'.

Andrew
24-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I do feel it is not a good general suggestion saying 'you can use (any) masking tape'.

Don't know if it has been said anywhere that you can use "any" masking tape. I have said there are only certain ones that are useable.

Go to Tesco and get a double pack of "Tesco Value" masking tape and that should work okay for most products in sublimation. 65p each (£1.29 2pk) for 25m and now and then you get a "buy 2 get 1 free" so works out at 43p.

WorthDoingRight
24-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Don't know if it has been said anywhere that you can use "any" masking tape. I have said there are only certain ones that are useable.

Go to Tesco and get a double pack of "Tesco Value" masking tape and that should work okay for most products in sublimation. 65p each (£1.29 2pk) for 25m and now and then you get a "buy 2 get 1 free" so works out at 43p.

I never intended to give the opinion that you had said any masking tape but just to avoid confusing the masses who would read masking tape and assume any brand was suitable.

I thank you for the information and will endeavour to pick some up for trial purposes :smile:

socialgiraffe
24-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Andrew, slightly off topic but do you use an oven for printing or something else?

I could see how masking tape would work in an oven envrionment, but not so sure if the tape is touching the heated silicon wrap as in a more convential mug heat press.

Andrew
24-10-2012, 04:12 PM
That would be both presses and ovens Simon. Many masking tapes do leave a sticky residue but there are a couple which are fine to use.