PDA

View Full Version : Problem with the vinyl not staying on the garment.

Earl Smith
24-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Im posting this as a warning and something to look out for when taking in clothing that is supplied by the customer.
The first time I noticed this was last year when a customer brought in some polos that he bought in Primark. (Yes we have Primark over here in Germany, arent we lucky.)
I pressed the vinyl onto the polos , it stayed on but it came off again when left for a while. I couldnt feel anything different with the garments either.

It seems that some shops are treating their garments with a chemical that makes them feel softer but creates a barrier like some sort of waterproofing spray that wont allow the vinyl to bond to the fabric.
Ive found this problem with garments from C&A, H&M, and some work clothing as well from various suppliers.

Just thought Id post this as a warning to be carefull when taking in customer supplied clothing.

Justin
24-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the warning :-) When I used to print clothes I'd often get customers bringing in their own shirts. I'd always point out it was at their risk and I couldn't replace like for like (usually) I'd also point out that I prefer to wash test a sample garment prior to any print run. I once had a customer come in with very expensive designer polos, pointed everything out and they went ahead.....I breathed a sigh of relief when they were completed! Thanks again.

socialgiraffe
24-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi Earl

What sort of vinyl are you using? Siser vinyls (sold by grafitype)have a huge range and it might be that simply switching to a different vinyl will solve the issue.

quasar
24-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I've printed onto a customers primary T Shirts. They don't have as long a life as the ones I buy in and use for vinyl.
comes off after 3 washes

WorthDoingRight
24-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I prefer to wash test a sample garment prior to any print run.

Justin, I assume you mean after putting the vinyl on and not before? I have heard that fabric conditioner causes issues with certain transfers sticking to materials.

I very much doubt the flex I use would come off any garment, the glue seems to be so good that it can stick the inside front of the shirt to the inside back if I am not careful! lol

socialgiraffe
24-10-2012, 04:48 PM
What flex do you use WDR?

Earl Smith
24-10-2012, 04:57 PM
The flex I buy is manufactured by Siser ( Italy), Stahls (USA) , Poly Tape (Germany) and Chemica ( France). All top quality stuff and the same as your suppliers have. I know this from the FESPA trade fairs.
Yes, I always tell the customer its at their own risk but Ive never had the whole batch peeling off before. These were new polos, they even had the size stickers still on them.

mrs maggot
24-10-2012, 04:57 PM
WDR Justin means testing one before starting a print run, ie test one before printing 20

Earle, i have stopped any printing on customers own garments for this reason, some of the primark "hoodies" although they are so thin they are like a long sleeve hooded t are the same, i was thinking the dye on cheap material maybe has something in it to cover more blemishes perhaps.

WorthDoingRight
24-10-2012, 05:22 PM
What flex do you use WDR?

I tend to buy most of my flex from MDP although the stickiest flex I have used came from SIGNZWORLD via eBay.